RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Scaling on Center of Layer?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Scaling on Center of Layer? SirCrow 06 Jan 21:24
  Scaling on Center of Layer? Liam R E Quin 06 Jan 21:55
   Scaling on Center; Add/Subtract with Brushes SirCrow 06 Jan 23:56
    Scaling on Center; Add/Subtract with Brushes Liam R E Quin 07 Jan 05:12
     Scaling on Center of Layer? SirCrow 07 Jan 05:30
    Scaling on Center; Add/Subtract with Brushes Mark Bourne 07 Jan 20:49
     Scaling on Center; Add/Subtract with Brushes Chris Mohler 07 Jan 20:52
2014-01-06 21:24:47 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

I haven't found any recent discussions of this issue, so I must ask: Is it possible to scale/resize a layer or selection about its center? I saw requests for this from 2010. This has to be possible. Thanks.

Liam R E Quin
2014-01-06 21:55:31 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On Mon, 2014-01-06 at 22:24 +0100, SirCrow wrote:

I haven't found any recent discussions of this issue, so I must ask: Is it possible to scale/resize a layer or selection about its center? I saw requests for this from 2010. This has to be possible. Thanks.

In the gimp 2.9 development preview, hold down control and shift in the new uniform scaling tool. So it's in the works. This new tool only really works if your selection or layer fits on the screen, though, unfortunately, as the controls are glued to the edge of the selection.

Liam

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org freenode/#xml
2014-01-06 23:56:33 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

Scaling on Center; Add/Subtract with Brushes

In the gimp 2.9 development preview, hold down control and shift in the
new uniform scaling tool. So it's in the works. This new tool only really works if your selection or layer fits on the screen, though, unfortunately, as the controls are glued to the edge of the selection.

Liam

Something to look forward to. Thanks. Also, it should be possible to add to or subtract from a selection using PAINT BRUSHES, as it was in FotoTouch, the old graphics app I used to love.

Joe

(Why do I have to type in that challenge thing every time? Doesn't the system know it's me?)

Liam R E Quin
2014-01-07 05:12:47 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On Tue, 2014-01-07 at 00:56 +0100, SirCrow wrote:

[...]

it should be possible to add to or subtract from a selection using PAINT BRUSHES, as it was in FotoTouch, the old graphics app I used to love.

It is indeed. Next to the bottom scrollbar, on the left of it in a left-to-right locale, you'll see a small dotted rectangle. Pres it, or press Q, to toggle Quickmask, and now you can paint to change the selection.

This doesn't really work well with greyscale images, change to RGB first if needed.

Liam

Liam Quin - XML Activity Lead, W3C, http://www.w3.org/People/Quin/
Pictures from old books: http://fromoldbooks.org/
Ankh: irc.sorcery.net irc.gnome.org freenode/#xml
2014-01-07 05:30:01 UTC (over 10 years ago)
postings

It is indeed. Next to the bottom scrollbar, on the left of it in a left-to-right locale, you'll see a small dotted rectangle. Pres it, or press Q, to toggle Quickmask, and now you can paint to change the selection.

Liam

Ah, yes, the Quickmask. I'll need to familiarize myself better with that thing. Thanks again J

Mark Bourne
2014-01-07 20:49:04 UTC (over 10 years ago)

SirCrow wrote:

(Why do I have to type in that challenge thing every time? Doesn't the system know it's me?)

You shouldn't have to. Once you've subscribed to the mailing list, and replied to the confirmation message once, you should be able to just send emails to the list.

Are you sure you're sending from the address you're subscribed with? Depending on your setup, you may be receiving email through an alias different from your outgoing address - so you'll need to subscribe the outgoing address. I think you can then set that address not to receive email if you need to avoid getting duplicates. See: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

Hope that helps. Mark.

Chris Mohler
2014-01-07 20:52:51 UTC (over 10 years ago)

On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 2:49 PM, Mark Bourne wrote:

SirCrow wrote:

(Why do I have to type in that challenge thing every time? Doesn't the system
know it's me?)

You shouldn't have to. Once you've subscribed to the mailing list, and replied to the confirmation message once, you should be able to just send emails to the list.

But I think he's using the forum at gimpusers.com - which is sort of tied to the list in a half-assed way ;)

Chris