RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp users matter

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp users matter Jernej Simončič 03 Jan 20:41
  gimp users matter Richard 03 Jan 20:52
Jernej Simončič
2014-01-03 20:41:57 UTC (over 10 years ago)

gimp users matter

On Fri, 3 Jan 2014 10:16:07 -0800, Richard wrote:

Sure, RTF supports many of THE most commonly used text editing features (bold/italic/underline, tabs/indents/spacing, font face/size/color) but it doesn't support many advanced Word features (widow/orphan control, footnotes, column layouts, etc.) and if you are relying on a document that involves those features will Word inform you that your target file format is not sufficient for what you are trying to save? Or will it just silently assume your document doesn't care about those features and save what it can, effectively discarding those features when you close out your session?

You're actually wrong - RTF supports at least everything that Word 2003 supports - including styles, paragraph settings, columns, footnotes etc. You will get a warning if you try to save as OpenDocument though (and at least in Word 2013, the document layout may change to reflect that).

< Jernej Simončič ><><><><>< http://eternallybored.org/ >
Richard
2014-01-03 20:52:58 UTC (over 10 years ago)

gimp users matter

To: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
From: jernej|s-gmane@eternallybored.org Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 21:41:57 +0100 Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] gimp users matter

On Fri, 3 Jan 2014 10:16:07 -0800, Richard wrote:

Sure, RTF supports many of THE most commonly used text editing features (bold/italic/underline, tabs/indents/spacing, font face/size/color) but it doesn't support many advanced Word features (widow/orphan control, footnotes, column layouts, etc.) and if you are relying on a document that involves those features will Word inform you that your target file format is not sufficient for what you are trying to save? Or will it just silently assume your document doesn't care about those features and save what it can, effectively discarding those features when you close out your session?

You're actually wrong - RTF supports at least everything that Word 2003 supports - including styles, paragraph settings, columns, footnotes etc. You will get a warning if you try to save as OpenDocument though (and at least in Word 2013, the document layout may change to reflect that).

*shrugs*

Okay, it has been awhile since I looked at the RTF official, beyond that I am only aware of what gets exposed through the editor. And I don't use RTF for anything complex so I've almost never actually bumped into its limitations.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.