RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

resynthesizer problems

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

resynthesizer problems Frank McCormick 12 Jul 19:58
  resynthesizer problems Jim 13 Jul 02:02
   resynthesizer problems Partha Bagchi 13 Jul 02:28
    resynthesizer problems Frank McCormick 13 Jul 04:12
     resynthesizer problems Partha Bagchi 13 Jul 04:28
      resynthesizer problems Frank McCormick 13 Jul 04:54
       resynthesizer problems Partha Bagchi 13 Jul 11:45
      resynthesizer problems Dasa_108 03 Aug 18:13
       resynthesizer problems Partha Bagchi 07 Aug 19:58
        resynthesizer problems Dasa_108 08 Aug 19:57
         resynthesizer problems Partha Bagchi 16 Aug 11:22
     resynthesizer problems Jim 14 Jul 09:26
   resynthesizer problems Frank McCormick 13 Jul 04:11
Frank McCormick
2013-07-12 19:58:56 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

resynthesizer problems

I dl'ed the latest resynthesizer from the GIMP plugin registry - but can't get
it working.

I am running gimp 2.8.6 on Fedora 19...I put all the package files into the plugins directory in my home directory.

It shows up in the filters/map/resynthesize menu but when I tested it out by selecting an object in a jpeg, little happened, other than some very minor
changes to the area selected. I tried changing various parameters but was unsuccessful. I also tried the heal selection but that just bring up the old 'heal brush' as it has in the past.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

By the way UCEProtect has blacklisted my providers addresses so I have to write from Gmail

Frank in Montreal
Jim
2013-07-13 02:02:25 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

resynthesizer problems

Resynthesizer can be really confusing. It sounds like you are having the same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also. I wrote up a tutorial that may be what you need. It's on the plug-in site. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Jim

On 07/12/2013 02:58 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:

it working.

I am running gimp 2.8.6 on Fedora 19...I put all the package files into the plugins directory in my home directory.

It shows up in the filters/map/resynthesize menu but when I tested it out by selecting an object in a jpeg, little happened, other than some very minor
changes to the area selected. I tried changing various parameters but was unsuccessful. I also tried the heal selection but that just bring up the old 'heal brush' as it has in the past.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

By the way UCEProtect has blacklisted my providers addresses so I have to write from Gmail

Partha Bagchi
2013-07-13 02:28:13 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

resynthesizer problems

Don't use resynthesizer directly. Use the "heal selection" menu item from Filters -> Enhance -> Heal Selection.

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:02 PM, Jim wrote:

Resynthesizer can be really confusing. It sounds like you are having the same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also. I wrote up a tutorial that may be what you need. It's on the plug-in site. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Jim

it working.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

______________________________**_________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/**mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-** list

Frank McCormick
2013-07-13 04:11:00 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

resynthesizer problems

Sorry if this reply is a little messed up.....blame gmail :

Thanks Jim - I'll look for the tutorial.

Jim

it working.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/**mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-** list

Frank in Montreal
Frank McCormick
2013-07-13 04:12:52 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

resynthesizer problems

Thanks but I already tried the heal selection and it didn't help. Maybe I was looking in the wrong
place ?

On Fri, Jul 12, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

Don't use resynthesizer directly. Use the "heal selection" menu item from Filters -> Enhance -> Heal Selection.

Resynthesizer can be really confusing. It sounds like you are having the same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also. I wrote up

a

tutorial that may be what you need. It's on the plug-in site. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Jim

I dl'ed the latest resynthesizer from the GIMP plugin registry - but

can't

get
it working.

It shows up in the filters/map/resynthesize menu but when I tested it

out

by selecting an object in a jpeg, little happened, other than some very minor
changes to the area selected. I tried changing various parameters but was unsuccessful. I also tried the heal selection but

that

just bring up the old 'heal brush' as it has in the past.

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

Frank in Montreal
Partha Bagchi
2013-07-13 04:28:14 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

resynthesizer problems

Sorry, in that case, you have to post the image that you are working with, what you are trying to do, and what you are expecting to see.

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:

Thanks but I already tried the heal selection and it didn't help. Maybe I was looking in the wrong
place ?

Resynthesizer can be really confusing. It sounds like you are having

the

same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also. I wrote

up

a

tutorial that may be what you need. It's on the plug-in site. If you can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Jim

can't

get
it working.

I am running gimp 2.8.6 on Fedora 19...I put all the package files

into

the plugins directory in my home directory.

out

by selecting an object in a jpeg, little happened, other than some

very

minor
changes to the area selected. I tried changing various parameters but was unsuccessful. I also tried the heal selection but

that

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership:

https://mail.gnome.org/**mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-**

list

List address: gimp-user-list@gnome.org List membership: https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

--
Frank in Montreal

Frank McCormick
2013-07-13 04:54:34 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

resynthesizer problems

Sorry but I have no filters...enhance...heal selection in my menus...all I have is the map..resynthesize selection and it doesn't work. It either makes no changes or else changes very little of the selected area.

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

Sorry, in that case, you have to post the image that you are working with, what you are trying to do, and what you are expecting to see.

place ?

Don't use resynthesizer directly. Use the "heal selection" menu item

from

Filters -> Enhance -> Heal Selection.

the

same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also. I wrote

up

a

Jim

can't

get
it working.

into

out

very

minor

that

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

list

--
Frank in Montreal

Frank in Montreal
Partha Bagchi
2013-07-13 11:45:15 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

resynthesizer problems

Frank,

When you start Gimp, you don't see a menu item called Filters? If not, your installation is defective. Also, if you don't see "heal selection", you don't have python installed in your Gimp installation.

Hope this helps.

Partha

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:54 AM, Frank McCormick wrote:

Sorry but I have no filters...enhance...heal selection in my menus...all I have is the map..resynthesize selection and it doesn't work. It either makes no changes or else changes very little of the selected area.

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:28 AM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

Sorry, in that case, you have to post the image that you are working

with,

what you are trying to do, and what you are expecting to see.

On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 12:12 AM, Frank McCormick

Thanks but I already tried the heal selection and it didn't help.

Maybe I

was looking in the wrong
place ?

Don't use resynthesizer directly. Use the "heal selection" menu item

from

Filters -> Enhance -> Heal Selection.

the

same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also. I

wrote

up

a

tutorial that may be what you need. It's on the plug-in site. If

you

can't find it, let me know and I'll look it up for you.

Jim

I dl'ed the latest resynthesizer from the GIMP plugin registry -

but

can't

get
it working.

into

It shows up in the filters/map/resynthesize menu but when I tested

it

out

very

minor
changes to the area selected. I tried changing various parameters but was unsuccessful. I also tried the heal selection

but

that

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

list

https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

--
Frank in Montreal

--
Frank in Montreal

Jim
2013-07-14 09:26:45 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

resynthesizer problems

If you are looking to use resynthesizer the way others and I were, and having trouble, I responded to another post a couple days ago after searching for and finding the steps I posted on the gimp plugin site. The conversation took place offline, but I'm sending it to the list in case it can help anyone else. I realize this may be a solution to a different problem, but it does work really well in some cases. The other poster replied that he got it working with the following steps:

I found my notes in a thread on the gimp plugin site at:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/24243

begin paste from link:

OK - This works for me

I think I found the combination that I found before I lost all my notes when my system / hard drives crashed.

1. Select a RECTANGULAR area you want to take the sample from. This is NOT the texture source sample and my notes do not cover textures.

2. "edit->copy"

3. "edit->paste as->new image"

4. Switch to the new image.

5. Go to the layers window

6. Remove the alpha layer - The critical piece

7. Go back to the image you are editing. Select a target area you want to fill with the sample from step 1.

8. Now "filters->map->resynthesize" should allow you to select the newly created source image.

This works on SuSE Linux 11.1 with resynthesize v. 0.16-1.2

end paste

I don't know if this addresses your problem, but it's helped a lot of people trying to do what I was trying to do, that is, to fill in a selected area with a sample re-synthesized graphic.

Hope this helps.

Jim

On 07/12/2013 11:12 PM, Frank McCormick wrote:

place ?

Resynthesizer can be really confusing. It sounds like you are having the same problems others have seen, and that I experienced also. I wrote up

a

Jim

can't

get
it working.

out

by selecting an object in a jpeg, little happened, other than some very minor

that

Am I missing something ?

Thanks

2017-08-03 18:13:40 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

resynthesizer problems

Hi,

I 'm new to GIMP and I'm getting some trouble with the resynthesizer tool. My end goal is to remove the subject of this image. I have used resynthesizer to remove objects that lies on a single color background. This image, however, lies on a background with multiple colors and I'm having lots of difficulties removing the object. Please, any assistance would most definitely be appreciated. I've attached the image to this message.

Sincerely, Dasa_108

Sorry, in that case, you have to post the image that you are working with,
what you are trying to do, and what you are expecting to see.

Partha Bagchi
2017-08-07 19:58:03 UTC (over 6 years ago)

resynthesizer problems

On Thu, Aug 3, 2017 at 2:13 PM, Dasa_108 wrote:

Hi,

I 'm new to GIMP and I'm getting some trouble with the resynthesizer tool. My
end goal is to remove the subject of this image. I have used resynthesizer to
remove objects that lies on a single color background. This image, however, lies
on a background with multiple colors and I'm having lots of difficulties removing the object. Please, any assistance would most definitely be appreciated. I've attached the image to this message.

The image seems to be that of a person. Are you trying to remove that person? In other words, you only want the background? I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Thanks, Partha

2017-08-08 19:57:40 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

resynthesizer problems

The image seems to be that of a person. Are you trying to remove that person? In other words, you only want the background? I am not sure I understand what you are trying to do.

Thanks, Partha

Hi Partha,

I'm trying to remove the person and remain with the background. Thanks for taking your time to assist me. It's really appreciated.

Sincerely, Dasa_108

Partha Bagchi
2017-08-16 11:22:56 UTC (over 6 years ago)

resynthesizer problems

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 3:57 PM, Dasa_108 wrote:

Thanks, Partha

Hi Partha,

I'm trying to remove the person and remain with the background. Thanks for taking your time to assist me. It's really appreciated.

Sincerely, Dasa_108

Sorry, this completely slipped off my radar. :(

Anyway, what you are trying to do is theoretically possible but probably not the right use of "heal selection". Select the region you wish to "heal", go to Filter > Enhance > Heal Selection. Choose pixels from the side and go inward from the outside. Continue doing this till you have eliminated the unwanted parts.

Usually you are trying to remove a small part of the image (light pole perhaps, someone's arm in your image, etc.) and so you can fill in the region with random pixels from around the location. Here, you are trying to remove most of the image and so your best bet would be start at the top and carefully use pixels from above etc.

Finally make sure that the light source remains intact, or the background would look strange. Your image light source is from the right I think.