RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

matte defringe in gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

matte defringe in gimp ivanova 10 Aug 21:49
  matte defringe in gimp Simon Budig 10 Aug 22:31
   matte defringe in gimp Gail 10 Aug 22:35
   matte defringe in gimp Joao S. O. Bueno 11 Aug 05:31
    matte defringe in gimp ivanova 11 Aug 06:09
ivanova
2004-08-10 21:49:56 UTC (over 19 years ago)

matte defringe in gimp

Is there any way to do something similar to the defringe tool in photoshop? I played around a bit without good results in gimp, but I'm still new and probably don't know all the tools that well.

Heres a description of what I'm trying to achieve: http://www.sketchpad.net/defringe6.htm

Thanks

___ We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't. - Frank A. Clark

Simon Budig
2004-08-10 22:31:33 UTC (over 19 years ago)

matte defringe in gimp

ivanova (flamingivanova@punkass.com) wrote:

Is there any way to do something similar to the defringe tool in photoshop? I played around a bit without good results in gimp, but I'm still new and probably don't know all the tools that well.

Ok, I don't know Photoshop so I am not sure if this really is equivalent but you can try this:

Do ->Layer->Transparency->Alpha to Selection then ->Select->Shrink (by the desired amount) then ->Select->Invert
and finally ->Edit->Clear.

This will make your motive a little bit smaller but will also remove the fringing artefacts.

Hope this helps, Simon

Gail
2004-08-10 22:35:29 UTC (over 19 years ago)

matte defringe in gimp

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 01:31 pm, Simon Budig wrote:

Ok, I don't know Photoshop so I am not sure if this really is equivalent but you can try this:

Do ->Layer->Transparency->Alpha to Selection then ->Select->Shrink (by the desired amount) then ->Select->Invert

This will make your motive a little bit smaller but will also remove the fringing artefacts.

Hope this helps, Simon

If you also feather the selection a bit that will help improve the over-all look.

Peace,
Gail

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-08-11 05:31:46 UTC (over 19 years ago)

matte defringe in gimp

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 17:31, Simon Budig wrote:

Hmm...maybe instead of ending with Edit->CLear, using Layer->Colors->Curves, ALpha Channel, and augment the transparency of said border would have better results. Also, selection->feather before before caling the curves tool could be even better.

JS
->

Hope this helps,
Simon

ivanova
2004-08-11 06:09:53 UTC (over 19 years ago)

matte defringe in gimp

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:31:46 -0300 "Joao S. O. Bueno" wrote:

On Tuesday 10 August 2004 17:31, Simon Budig wrote:

Hmm...maybe instead of ending with Edit->CLear, using Layer->Colors->Curves, ALpha Channel, and augment the transparency of said border would have better results. Also, selection->feather before before caling the curves tool could be even better.

Thanks, I ended up using a combination of the suggestions. Luckily in this case the border was mostly black, so I could use curve/levels or whatever to darken the white halo. But this won't work for a border with different colors. I was thinking of using the selection to stroke with the clone brush - but that would require the source angle to change as you go around ;)

Or maybe copy the border and scale it a bit bigger - I'll play around a bit.