RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP Layers

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP Layers Asif Lodhi 10 Aug 08:00
Asif Lodhi
2004-08-10 08:00:59 UTC (over 19 years ago)

GIMP Layers

Hi All

I have been reading all these GIMP layer-related posts for quite some time now and think it is high time I show you the picture the way I see it.

First off, the purpose of the layer boundary is to let you know the position of the layer in context so that you can align it the way you want. As far as I know, you can't have multiple-size layers in Photoshop. Having a smaller layer for an image part conserves less memory so that it can be used by other more important GIMP tool-operations such as those offered by the various filters. Floating selections are important because these facilitate creating new layers according to the size of the pasted selections. You can __anchor__ the floating selection on a new layer by pressing Control-N while in the layer dialog window or directly pressing the new-layer button of the layer-dialog window. That will anchor the floating selection onto a new transparent layer whose size will be that of the selection. Simply create a new layer, paste your selection on the new layer and select anchor-layer option (from the layers context menu or by pressing the anchor button in the layers dialog or by just clicking anywhere in the layer if you have rectangular-selection tool active) if you want your floating selection pasted onto an image-sized new layer.

The yellow-black layer boundary can be shown/hidden by turning off/on the image/view/Toggle Selection (in previous GIMP versions) or view/Toggle Layer Boundary in new versions of GIMP.

As far as Photoshop is concerned, what I have found so far is that Photoshop is __easier__ but does not have as many parameters for many tools/features as GIMP has. It is a matter of bottom-line: whether you want to be a tool-expert or a digital artist. Photoshop is great for its print-media support (capability to create new CMYK Images) and ease of features while GIMP has a lot of options to help you re-touch/compose the image the way you want it. Further, GIMP books/tutorials (as I have found) are far more comprehensive and illustrative (for example, "Grokking the Gimp") than those of Photoshop. I usually work in GIMP but read all Photoshop tutorials as well. Lastly, GIMP is FREE while you have to pay for Photoshop. I am duly thankful and grateful to all the GIMP developers.

I hope my response answers most of your questions.

Best regards

Asif Lodhi -----------------
=========

Do you Yahoo!?
New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - Send 10MB messages!
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail