RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Invisible selection marching ant

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Invisible selection marching ant Napoleon Ahiable 25 Jul 18:31
  Invisible selection marching ant David Neary 25 Jul 19:59
Invisible selection marching ant William Skaggs 25 Jul 22:17
Napoleon Ahiable
2004-07-25 18:31:53 UTC (over 19 years ago)

I was trying to make a selection with a grey background colour setting of R=127, G=127, and B=127. Trouble is i can not see the outline of the shape whilst drawing an outline. It only appears after i release the left mouse button.

Any other colour setting i have tried is fine.

What can be done about this ?

Do you Yahoo!?
New and Improved Yahoo! Mail - Send 10MB messages!
http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
David Neary
2004-07-25 19:59:02 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hi,

Napoleon Ahiable wrote:

I was trying to make a selection with a grey background colour setting of R=127, G=127, and B=127. Trouble is i can not see the outline of the shape whilst drawing an outline. It only appears after i release the left mouse button.

Any other colour setting i have tried is fine.

What can be done about this ?

Nothing, I'm afraid. The GIMP uses xor for marching ants, which means that at mid-grey the marching ants are the same color as the image. On a white image, they're black and on black, they're white.

This is a known problem which has been reported in bugzilla (if you search for xor you should find it), but it is unlikely to be fixed any time soon.

Cheers,
Dave.

William Skaggs
2004-07-25 22:17:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Napoleon Ahiable writes:

I was trying to make a selection with a grey background colour setting of R=127, G=127, and B=127. Trouble is i can not see the outline of the shape whilst drawing an outline. It only appears after i release the left mouse button [ . . . ] What can be done about this ?

This is kind of an annoying answer, but it is possible by playing with display filters (View->Display Filters) to make the outline visible in the cases where it normally isn't. (This has no effect on your image, and can be turned off when you don't need it anymore.)

Incidentally, this problem has nothing to do with marching ants -- the marching ants only appear after the selection is completed, and they show up fine.

Anyway, this is a problem that if it were considered important would not really be that hard to solve, but nobody has ever considered it important enough to spend serious time on.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu