RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

xpm to ico ??

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

xpm to ico ?? Linux GIMP 25 Jul 14:14
  xpm to ico ?? David Neary 25 Jul 15:39
  xpm to ico ?? Simon Budig 25 Jul 15:41
  xpm to ico ?? regisr 25 Jul 15:48
   xpm to ico ?? Linux GIMP 25 Jul 20:29
   xpm to ico ?? ice 26 Jul 03:11
  xpm to ico ?? Alan Horkan 25 Jul 22:14
   xpm to ico ?? Linux GIMP 26 Jul 05:00
  xpm to ico ?? Sven Neumann 25 Jul 23:25
   xpm to ico ?? Linux GIMP 26 Jul 04:58
41042B00.23616.4E4BC22@loca... 07 Oct 20:16
  xpm to ico ?? Linux GIMP 26 Jul 04:56
Linux GIMP
2004-07-25 14:14:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

xpm to ico ??

Greeting all -- this might be off topic, but I thought this would be the best list to ask.

I'm in new territory here, so I may be missing something really obvious and just need to be smacked with the stupid stick, but here it goes.

I'm wanting to make a favourite icon for my web site. I created an icon using Baby Gimp in the xpm format. Now I need to get it to ico format. Baby Gimp doesn't appear to save that format, nor does Gimp. I tried doing a Google/Linux search for a conversion tool and found a number that claim to convert xpm to ico, but nothing for the other direction.

So question is, how can I get the xpm to an ico file?

Thanks very much. Adrian

David Neary
2004-07-25 15:39:24 UTC (over 19 years ago)

xpm to ico ??

Hi Adrian,

Linux GIMP wrote:

The GIMP has .ico support in the 2.1 branch. The plug-in we have in CVS is the same as the one in the registry: http://registry.gimp.org/plugin?id=2223

This may not have been updaetd for GIMP 2.0 - if not the one in the 2.1 source tree should build just fine with 2.0.

Cheers, Dave.

Simon Budig
2004-07-25 15:41:25 UTC (over 19 years ago)

xpm to ico ??

Linux GIMP (linuxgmp@204eastsouth.com) wrote:

I'm wanting to make a favourite icon for my web site. I created an icon using Baby Gimp in the xpm format.

BabyGimp is not related to the GIMP at all - except for the name unfortunately. Also BabyGimp seems to be quite dead (when looking at http://babygimp.sourceforge.net/ ). However, you might be lucky contacting the author directly.

Sorry, but since I don't know anything about BabyGimp I cannot help you there (and I guess few on this list can).

Bye, Simon

regisr
2004-07-25 15:48:30 UTC (over 19 years ago)

xpm to ico ??

On 25-Jul-2004 Linux GIMP wrote:

I'm wanting to make a favourite icon for my web site. I created an icon using Baby Gimp in the xpm format. Now I need to get it to ico format.

Can I suggest you to save your icon in png format and use png2ico to convert it?
You can find png2ico easily with search engines.

Linux GIMP
2004-07-25 20:29:20 UTC (over 19 years ago)

xpm to ico ??

Thanks to everyone -- I didn't think about that path. What I ended up doing was opening the xpm in Gimp, saving as png then using png2ico to convert it. Worked great.

Thank you to all who responded.

Adrian

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 15:48:30 +0200 (CEST) regisr wrote the words:

On 25-Jul-2004 Linux GIMP wrote:

I'm wanting to make a favourite icon for my web site. I created an icon using Baby Gimp in the xpm format. Now I need to get it to ico format.

Can I suggest you to save your icon in png format and use png2ico to convert it?

Alan Horkan
2004-07-25 22:14:42 UTC (over 19 years ago)

xpm to ico ??

I'm wanting to make a favourite icon for my web site. I created an icon

Favourite Icon, aka favicon, aka Site Icons?

using Baby Gimp in the xpm format. Now I need to get it to ico format. Baby Gimp doesn't appear to save that format, nor does Gimp. I tried doing a Google/Linux search for a conversion tool and found a number that claim to convert xpm to ico, but nothing for the other direction.

If you are doing what I think you are doing then you should seriously consider using PNG instead of ICO, or at worst you should use PNG as well as ICO.

In the past I've used XnView (http://xnview.com free but not open source) and other programs to convert to .ico format but the only thing that seems to be able to create icons reliably is Microsoft Visual Studio. Anytime I've used anything else it has caused problems. I gave up the idea of using ICO entirely because I couldn't get them to work with Internet Explorer at all (it doesn't seem to like anything but www.site.com/favicon.ico and I needed the icon for an individual page) despite the fact that Mozilla could display the ICO file without a problem. I now use only PNG for site icons, and if more people do then maybe Microsoft will eventaully fix their browser to properly support PNG instead of their own proprietary ICO files.

Mozilla does not automatically look for favicon.ico so you can easily have both if you want by leaving Internet Explorer to find it automatically but specifying an icon on each page for mozilla like so:

mozilla also supports tags that Internet Explorer does not

http://www.favicon.com/index.jsp?id=Mozilla#5-4

Good luck

Sincerely

Alan H.

Sven Neumann
2004-07-25 23:25:16 UTC (over 19 years ago)

xpm to ico ??

Hi,

Linux GIMP writes:

No, you don't. Using the .ico format for the infamous favicon is fortunately not needed any longer and using a server-wide favicon file should be considered deprecated. Please use a PNG file and specify it in the HTML header:

Sven

ice
2004-07-26 03:11:04 UTC (over 19 years ago)

xpm to ico ??

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004, regisr wrote:

I have saved icon with gif extension. Opera, Mozilla display my favicon fine.

Question: how do i draw curve line like this one: ? .
~-.
\=============================\ '. ` --
Take care
Your friend IcE
np:

Linux GIMP
2004-07-26 04:56:28 UTC (over 19 years ago)

xpm to ico ??

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:49:52 -0400 "Rob Davenport" wrote the words:

I was just doing something similar for an Emacs icon for the Windows port. I used Gimp to convert (and edit the image I was using somewhat) and saved it as .jpg (although I think .png or even .bmp might be better) and then used XNView to do the final adjustments (make sure the colormap was correct - 256 colors, with the right one marked as the transparent color) and saved it as an .ico from XNView. - a great tool and free too.

If you have any questions, let me know.

Rob

Another good idea, I knew I was asking the right people. Actually I already use xnview and you are correct, it is a great program. I should have thought of that also...

I was working late at night, you can tell my brain was hazy.

Adrian

Linux GIMP
2004-07-26 04:58:48 UTC (over 19 years ago)

xpm to ico ??

On 25 Jul 2004 23:25:16 +0200
Sven Neumann wrote the words:

Hi,

Linux GIMP writes:

No, you don't. Using the .ico format for the infamous favicon is fortunately not needed any longer and using a server-wide favicon file should be considered deprecated. Please use a PNG file and specify it in the HTML header:

Sven

Really? Didn't know that. Thank you for telling me. I already got it going in *.ico format, but I may change it next time I'm playing around. Thanks again.

Adrian

Linux GIMP
2004-07-26 05:00:12 UTC (over 19 years ago)

xpm to ico ??

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:14:42 +0100 (BST) Alan Horkan wrote the words:

I'm wanting to make a favourite icon for my web site. I created an icon

Favourite Icon, aka favicon, aka Site Icons?

using Baby Gimp in the xpm format. Now I need to get it to ico format. Baby Gimp doesn't appear to save that format, nor does Gimp. I tried
doing a Google/Linux search for a conversion tool and found a number that claim to convert xpm to ico, but nothing for the other direction.

If you are doing what I think you are doing then you should seriously consider using PNG instead of ICO, or at worst you should use PNG as well as ICO.

In the past I've used XnView (http://xnview.com free but not open source) and other programs to convert to .ico format but the only thing that seems to be able to create icons reliably is Microsoft Visual Studio. Anytime I've used anything else it has caused problems. I gave up the idea of using ICO entirely because I couldn't get them to work with Internet Explorer at all (it doesn't seem to like anything but www.site.com/favicon.ico and I needed the icon for an individual page) despite the fact that Mozilla could display the ICO file without a problem. I now use only PNG for site icons, and if more people do then maybe Microsoft will eventaully fix their browser to properly support PNG instead of their own proprietary ICO files.

Mozilla does not automatically look for favicon.ico so you can easily have both if you want by leaving Internet Explorer to find it automatically but specifying an icon on each page for mozilla like so:

mozilla also supports tags that Internet Explorer does not

http://www.favicon.com/index.jsp?id=Mozilla#5-4

Good luck

Sincerely

Alan H.

And yet more good information. Thank you very much for taking the time to write this up.

Adrian