RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Warp like tool in gimp

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Warp like tool in gimp Dominik Tabisz 10 Apr 21:09
  Warp like tool in gimp Steve Kinney 10 Apr 23:04
   Warp like tool in gimp Dominik Tabisz 11 Apr 19:59
    Warp like tool in gimp Rob Antonishen 11 Apr 21:23
     Warp like tool in gimp Dominik Tabisz 11 Apr 23:35
      Warp like tool in gimp Rob Antonishen 12 Apr 01:48
Dominik Tabisz
2013-04-10 21:09:22 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Warp like tool in gimp

Hello

I'm trying to find a way to transform some parts of image. Some kind of tool that acts like edit>transform>warp in Photoshop.

here You can see what it do between 12:33 and 13:09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP7JMnIOSP0&list=LLUjDEobLFztntmtwhz--rTg

Please tell me is there anything like this tool in Gimp ecosystem. If there is a way to achieve such effect maybe there are some tutorials?

Dominik Tabisz

Steve Kinney
2013-04-10 23:04:08 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Warp like tool in gimp

On 04/10/2013 05:09 PM, Dominik Tabisz wrote:

Hello

I'm trying to find a way to transform some parts of image. Some kind of tool that acts like edit>transform>warp in Photoshop.

here You can see what it do between 12:33 and 13:09 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP7JMnIOSP0&list=LLUjDEobLFztntmtwhz--rTg

Please tell me is there anything like this tool in Gimp ecosystem. If there is a way to achieve such effect maybe there are some tutorials?

Hey Dominik,

I think the Cage Transform Tool is the closest thing to that in the GIMP. It's a new toolbox item in GIMP 2.8. I don't know of any tutorials for that.

I have not played with the cage transform very much, but I do think it is a good idea to:

1) Make sure the Tool Options dialog is open and read what it says.

2) Work on a new layer with the image content you want to transform copied or pasted in.

3) Plan ahead and use as few nodes as possible to define the 'cage' around the region to be warped.

4) Wait for the preview rendering process to finish every time you move a node, press Enter when you are done to make the transform permanent.

5) Be prepared to use masking and/or other techniques to correct unintended sharp edges at the boundary of the transformed area after the operation. (I suspect that what I am seeing in these cases may be a bug at work.)

Also take a look at the IWarp tool at Filters > Distorts > IWarp. I have often wished this was a more "developed" tool permitting more precise and repeatable operations, but it has its uses and it "just works".

:o)

Steve

Dominik Tabisz
2013-04-11 19:59:26 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Warp like tool in gimp

Thanks Steve

You mean this tool with polygon like looking icon? I'll try it again... on normal installation (on gimp portable it crashes everytime).

I've already tried some tools from filters>distort menu in gimp 2.6 - they are effective to "remove fat" or similar things. But they lack precision, just as You said.

I need such tool for slightly different purpose: I have photos of my paintings. Unfortunately some of them are not flat - paintings are bent or twisted a little. Perspective tool is not enough - it solve troubles with angle between lens and canvas, but can't help with bent watercolor.
Photographing this paintings after framing is just too difficult. So i have to "digitally flatten" them for photography.

I see what edges are bent on photo, so i need to transform it in the opposite direction without loosing any proportions on the image. That's why this "wrap tool" in Photoshop give me some hope ... but i really prefer doing my job with Gimp.

Maybe there is a technique for making bent paintings flat on photograpy, only i'm not aware how to do it?

Thanks again Dominik

Rob Antonishen
2013-04-11 21:23:32 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Warp like tool in gimp

You could try the curve bend between paths script http://registry.gimp.org/node/19214 which was created to correct distortion from scanning books. It could work (but not having seen the source images in question, I can't guarantee it...)

-RobA> -----
"Quae dissolvi non possunt."

*To:* "Steve Kinney"
*CC:* "gimp-user-list@gnome.org"
*Sent:* April 11, 2013 3:59 PM
*Subject:* Re: [Gimp-user] Warp like tool in gimp

Thanks Steve

You mean this tool with polygon like looking icon? I'll try it again... on normal installation (on gimp portable it crashes everytime).

I've already tried some tools from filters>distort menu in gimp 2.6 - they are effective to "remove fat" or similar things. But they lack precision, just as You said.

I need such tool for slightly different purpose: I have photos of my paintings. Unfortunately some of them are not flat - paintings are bent or twisted a little. Perspective tool is not enough - it solve troubles with angle between lens and canvas, but can't help with bent watercolor.
Photographing this paintings after framing is just too difficult. So i have to "digitally flatten" them for photography.

I see what edges are bent on photo, so i need to transform it in the opposite direction without loosing any proportions on the image. That's why this "wrap tool" in Photoshop give me some hope ... but i really prefer doing my job with Gimp.

Maybe there is a technique for making bent paintings flat on photograpy, only i'm not aware how to do it?

Thanks again Dominik

gimp-user-list mailing
listgimp-user-list@gnome.orghttps://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list
Dominik Tabisz
2013-04-11 23:35:14 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Warp like tool in gimp

Thank You Rob

After first trials this script seem to do more less what i expected :) Now i'll have to spend some time with mastering path tool, and Your script combined with perspective tool probably will do the job.

Not sure if the script "is aware" which path was drawn first. Does it matter whether i draw top or bottom path first?

Dominik

2013/4/11, Rob Antonishen :

You could try the curve bend between paths script http://registry.gimp.org/node/19214 which was created to correct distortion from scanning books. It could work (but not having seen the source images in question, I can't guarantee it...)

-RobA> -----

Thanks Steve

Thanks again Dominik
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing
listgimp-user-list@gnome.orghttps://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

Dominik Tabisz
Rob Antonishen
2013-04-12 01:48:27 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Warp like tool in gimp

The order drawn doesn't matter, so long as they're selected in the appropriate options.

-RobA >

----- "Quae dissolvi non possunt."

*To:* "Rob Antonishen"
*Sent:* April 11, 2013 7:35 PM

Thank You Rob

After first trials this script seem to do more less what i expected :) Now i'll have to spend some time with mastering path tool, and Your script combined with perspective tool probably will do the job.

Not sure if the script "is aware" which path was drawn first. Does it matter whether i draw top or bottom path first?

Dominik

2013/4/11, Rob Antonishen :

-RobA> -----

Thanks Steve

Thanks again Dominik
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing

Dominik Tabisz