RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Batch merge of images?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Batch merge of images? Chris Dunning 21 Jul 01:07
  Batch merge of images? Carol Spears 21 Jul 08:00
   Batch merge of images? Michael Schumacher 21 Jul 11:20
    Batch merge of images? Sven Neumann 21 Jul 11:46
  Batch merge of images? Sven Neumann 21 Jul 11:49
Chris Dunning
2004-07-21 01:07:52 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Batch merge of images?

Hello list!

I'm new to the GIMP and this list, so please forgive me if I ask old questions. I did actually search the archives before posting. :)

I need to make a whole bunch of buttons for a website. I could do them all manually, one by one, but it seems like there should be a faster way. I would like to create a background for the buttons, then overlay text on them. I could specify the text in a text file I suppose, or I could create the text images in a directory and the background image elsewhere (I do the same thing for many different websites)....I'm open to suggestions. Can anyone help?

Carol Spears
2004-07-21 08:00:24 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Batch merge of images?

hello,
On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 06:07:52PM -0500, Chris Dunning wrote:

I'm new to the GIMP and this list, so please forgive me if I ask old questions. I did actually search the archives before posting. :)

I need to make a whole bunch of buttons for a website. I could do them all manually, one by one, but it seems like there should be a faster way. I would like to create a background for the buttons, then overlay text on them. I could specify the text in a text file I suppose, or I could create the text images in a directory and the background image elsewhere (I do the same thing for many different websites)....I'm open to suggestions. Can anyone help?

while in the development branch of TheGIMP, the gimp-console is recently working, i have no idea how to use this to make big "batches" of images.

the way that has always worked is to write a script for the gimp. if you are on windows, you will be limited to using script-fu. if you are using linux you also have perl or python to choose from.

the gimp parts of the scripts are fairly easy. the same buttons or menu entries you use can be found via your script of choice's console; check in the toolbox under Xtns and then the script type for "Console" (for example /Xtns/Script-Fu/Console). The scripting consoles all have a button called "Browser". With that you can search for the call (gimp event) that you need and hit "Ok" and the properly syntaxed call will appear in the console. the difficult part of this method is the other stuff -- the script parts. the looping and the reading of text files (as you mentioned). there is plenty of online help for script-fu, perl and python online. helpful urls can be found on www.gimp.org as well as some examples and tutorials.

i have been using python to make gallery pages with the gimp who happily resizes and comments my photo images. my only problem is with the pop-up progressbar for each and every image that gets saved. i think the gimp developers leave this there because they dont have faith in their scripts and need this constant reminder that everything is working. hopefully they get over this soon and fix that.

if you should choose to write a script that makes a bunch of buttons for your web pages, the gimp-developers list is a good place to ask scripting questions.

carol

Michael Schumacher
2004-07-21 11:20:10 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Batch merge of images?

Carol Spears wrote:

while in the development branch of TheGIMP, the gimp-console is recently working, i have no idea how to use this to make big "batches" of images.

AFAIK, gimp-console is just another way of gimp -i It doesn't need gtk+, but this won't make any real difference, as all plug-ins still do.

HTH,
Michael

Sven Neumann
2004-07-21 11:46:09 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Batch merge of images?

Hi,

Michael Schumacher writes:

AFAIK, gimp-console is just another way of gimp -i It doesn't need gtk+, but this won't make any real difference, as all plug-ins still do.

That's right. gimp-console is basically only of interest for us hackers since it shows that we managed to separate the GUI code from the GIMP core. It might also be useful if you want to run a dedicated GIMP server (like for example flamingtext.com). It doesn't behave in any way different than 'gimp -i' or 'gimp --no-interface'.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-07-21 11:49:06 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Batch merge of images?

Hi,

Chris Dunning writes:

You can write a script that reads a text file describing the buttons you need and what background images to use for them. This script can then let GIMP do all the work for you. Shouldn't be too difficult; just choose the programming language you like most. You can choose from SIOD (a scheme dialect used by Script-Fu), Perl and Python.

Sven