RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

"Render" mode

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

"Render" mode Jonathan Melhuish 18 Jul 12:49
  "Render" mode Sven Neumann 18 Jul 13:39
Jonathan Melhuish
2004-07-18 12:49:13 UTC (over 19 years ago)

"Render" mode

Is there any way that I can manipulate a smaller, screen-resolution version of the actual image (perhaps loading sections at a higher resolution as I zoom in), then "render" my edits on the actual file at a later date (eg. overnight).

It strikes me that it is very easy to produce a very large file, such as a panorama from several photographs scanned at 1200dpi, but very difficult to then edit it due to a lack of RAM. It'd be great if I could use the GIMP in the above manner; it would really open up opportunities for higher-quality work.

Apologies if this has already been discussed; the Archive search appears to be broken, and I wouldn't know what search terms to use anyway.

Cheers,

Jon PS: There's only one thing that bugs me about version 2.0; how do I assign shortcut keys?!

Sven Neumann
2004-07-18 13:39:45 UTC (over 19 years ago)

"Render" mode

Hi,

Jonathan Melhuish writes:

Is there any way that I can manipulate a smaller, screen-resolution version of the actual image (perhaps loading sections at a higher resolution as I zoom in), then "render" my edits on the actual file at a later date (eg. overnight).

It strikes me that it is very easy to produce a very large file, such as a panorama from several photographs scanned at 1200dpi, but very difficult to then edit it due to a lack of RAM. It'd be great if I could use the GIMP in the above manner; it would really open up opportunities for higher-quality work.

It has been discussed and it should be possible in some future version. I just can't tell you how long you will have to wait.

PS: There's only one thing that bugs me about version 2.0; how do I assign shortcut keys?!

Enable "Dynamic Keyboard Shortcuts" in the preferences or edit the menurc manually. GIMP 2.2 will probably come with a convenient shortcut editor.

Sven