RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

[Newbie] Fill with transparent color

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

[Newbie] Fill with transparent color Olivier Marie 05 Jul 13:34
  [Newbie] Fill with transparent color Dave Neary 05 Jul 16:26
Olivier Marie
2004-07-05 13:34:51 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Hello all,

I'm starting using GIMP 2.0.2 under winXP. It seems to be very powerfull !

I don't succeeded in filling a form with a transparent color (indexed image)

My questions are :

How can I fill a zone with transparent color ?

An erased zone (transparent) has an alpha value equal to 0. In the same image, others pixels can have the same index but with alpha=255. Can I have a specific transparent index ?

Thanks in advance

Olivier

Dave Neary
2004-07-05 16:26:58 UTC (over 19 years ago)

Salut et bienvenu :)

Quoting Olivier Marie :

My questions are :
How can I fill a zone with transparent color ?

First you need to add an alpha channel to your image. Then select the region you would like to erase, and Edit->Clear.

An erased zone (transparent) has an alpha value equal to 0. In the same image, others pixels can have the same index but with alpha=255. Can I have a specific transparent index ?

When you save the image as a GIF, this is what happens. To ensure that you have space for an indexed palette entry, you should select a 255 colour palette rather than a 256 color palette during indexing when you want an alpha channel.

PNG indexes differently, in that an index entry may have an alpha value from 0 to 255 associated with it, effectively allowing an RGBA palette. Unfortunately, the GIMP doesn't really support that properly (yet?).

Cheers, Dave.