RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

status of gimp-help-2

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

status of gimp-help-2 Roman Joost 04 Jul 23:56
  status of gimp-help-2 GSR - FR 04 Jul 22:08
GSR - FR
2004-07-04 22:08:33 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

status of gimp-help-2

roman@bromeco.de (2004-07-04 at 2356.50 +0200):

The problem is, that GIMP's UI changes faster than we can provide screenshots. My idea was an application which records mouse movements and play's them afterwards to create screenshots only once and then automatically. This idea has some major problem when it comes to different positioning of menus and other things, that i discarded the idea. Well, the guys from Sun gave said, that we should provide screenshots only when they are *really* necessary. Another problem with screenshots are the dependencies to languages. I propose, that we shouldn't make screenshots for every minor function or dialog, but describe the functions or dialogs better.

Dunno how, but K-3D has something like what you talk about or better, interactive tutorials. http://k3d.sourceforge.net/

GSR

Roman Joost
2004-07-04 23:56:50 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

status of gimp-help-2

After I gave a little "status of the gimp user manual" at GimpCon, i'll want to do this for the others subscribed to the mailinglists as well.

What is written so far ---------------------

I created a little python script, which can be found in the gimp-help-2 module under docs. It compares the help ids[1] in the header file with our help ids, found in the gimp-help.xml file for each language. Therefore, following content is written approx.:

French: 77% done German: 38% done
English: 80% done
Swedish: 9% done

The most of the French and English content was written by our french writers, which are Julien Hardelin, Cédric Gémy, Raymond Ostertag and Sébastien Barre. The status don't include plugins or any additional content, like introductions.

Current issues and problems ---------------------------

Communication: we need a new mailinglist:
Well, the first thing i added to my list of issues was a mailinglist, which is now available for everyone. Subscribe to:

gimp-docs@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu

or use the subscription page at:

https://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs

Thanks to yosh, sven and daniel egger to get the mailinglist working. The archives are currently not working, so please be patient. The server will get an upgrade and the archives will be back soon.

Well, I hope that the communication with the new mailinglist will encourage writers to communication their ideas and improvements more than sending mails to everyone. The lack of communication is the problem in every softwareproject, so please use the mailinglist. Also, communciation between eachother prevents us from inconsistencies in our documentation.

User who are testing and using our documentation are encouraged as well to give us opinions and feedback about the manual. What should be improved, what is not in the right place?

Lack of writers: we need an easier way to contribute:
I was thinking about an XMLWiki Roundtrip. People can write the docs on a wiki and we're able to fetch the docs from the wiki a put them nicely in shape. I tested the following solutions, but the lack of time prevented me from writing up my opinions.

1. DocBook Wiki[2] is a wiki for editing the content and is able to display the Docbook online. It is possible to export the content into other things like XML, HTML, PDF and much more. The installation of this thingy is a bit cumbersome - I didn't get it working with our manual. I gave up after a while messing around with php and C++ code.
2. Another idea was a ReST[3] to Docbook XML roundtrip. I found some alpha code which let us generate Docbook XML from a ReST document and the other way around could do the MoinMoin Wiki. I found a restructured text parser for the Wiki at [4], but didn't tested it yet.

3. The third and last idea gave me Jimmac and TigerT at the GimpCon. The Monodoc browser [5] display's on the one hand the help itself, but let the people edit marked paragraphs and therefore contribute to the project. I found this way the most pleasant way to give contributors a chance to write documentation. Users don't need to be connected to a server all the time while writing documentation and can decide for themselves, when they want to contribute.
Conclusion: Tools are nice, but we decided in short-term not to concentrate to much on new tools, but more in trying more contributors on the project. Kenneth Wimer from Novell/SuSE offered help and I want to try to ask the gnome docwriters if some of them want to join us. During the GUADEC, i talked to Eugene O'Connor and other people from SUN about the Javahelp and GNOME documentation. They provided me with some tips for a better document structure and information about JavaHelp.

technical difficulties:

Well, we have some minor technical difficulties to generate other formats than HTML. I managed to get some HTMLHelp out of the XML sources working, but unfortunately without images. I run into the same problem with the images, when I try to generate a PDF/LaTeX document out of the XML sources. I'll invest some more time into this, to get it working. I'm affraid, that some of the pages are not well-formed, but i need to investigate this first.

Screenshots:

The problem is, that GIMP's UI changes faster than we can provide screenshots. My idea was an application which records mouse movements and play's them afterwards to create screenshots only once and then automatically. This idea has some major problem when it comes to different positioning of menus and other things, that i discarded the idea. Well, the guys from Sun gave said, that we should provide screenshots only when they are *really* necessary. Another problem with screenshots are the dependencies to languages. I propose, that we shouldn't make screenshots for every minor function or dialog, but describe the functions or dialogs better.

To summarize: I want thank everyone who made this possible. After writing most of the content, the content needs to be reviewed consistently by everyone, especially the developers or people who know the technology background. Users who are testing the manual might be able to give us feedback, when they encounter errors, typos or not the solution they are looking for. I hope, that I'm able to encourage more people to help us and to have a nice user manual for everyone who is using The GIMP.

[1] - gimp/app/widgets/gimphelp-ids.h [2] - http://doc-book.sf.net/homepage/ [3] - http://docutils.sourceforge.net/ [4] - http://docutils.sourceforge.net/sandbox/mmgilbe/rst.py [5] - http://www.mono-project.com

Greetings,