RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

a gimp file-selector

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

18 of 18 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

a gimp file-selector Carol Spears 14 Jun 18:55
  a gimp file-selector Sven Neumann 14 Jun 20:07
   a gimp file-selector Carol Spears 14 Jun 20:31
    a gimp file-selector Owen 14 Jun 21:55
     a gimp file-selector Carol Spears 14 Jun 23:28
  a gimp file-selector Jakub Steiner 14 Jun 20:18
   a gimp file-selector Carol Spears 14 Jun 20:32
   a gimp file-selector Khiraly 14 Jun 23:13
    a gimp file-selector Carol Spears 14 Jun 23:44
     a gimp file-selector Khiraly 15 Jun 00:04
   a gimp file-selector Alan Horkan 15 Jun 02:39
    a gimp file-selector Sven Neumann 15 Jun 11:02
     a gimp file-selector Alan Horkan 16 Jun 21:44
      a gimp file-selector Sven Neumann 17 Jun 10:19
       a gimp file-selector Carol Spears 17 Jun 23:11
        a gimp file-selector Sven Neumann 18 Jun 01:29
         a gimp file-selector Carol Spears 18 Jun 04:12
          a gimp file-selector Sven Neumann 18 Jun 11:52
Carol Spears
2004-06-14 18:55:53 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

for a very long time, the gimp had a file selector that was better than any other gtk app available to me.

someone bragged about how the gimp developers had designed it from gtk things.

i have a feeling that someone like jimmac and/or tigert could design a file selector that would be more for the gimps needs and not a generic answer everyones needs (not gimps) widget and at least one of the gimp developers could easily put one together.

removing the text entry location is a silly way to solve the tab completion problem, if this is what happened.

maybe some users have a better way of stating these questions, suggestions and concerns before i attempt it on the developer list again.

thanks,
carol

Sven Neumann
2004-06-14 20:07:18 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

removing the text entry location is a silly way to solve the tab completion problem, if this is what happened.

I'd prefer if everyone who wants to contribute to this discussion tries the new file selector first. A guess on how a new widget might work is not a good basis for a productive discussion.

The new file chooser is definitely an improvement but I'd like to see the location entry being integrated into the dialog instead of keeping it in an extra dialog. At the very least it should be better documented how to get to the text entry field.

Another issue that can be solved by improving the docs is what needs to be done so that the filechooser uses icons. See this mail:

http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gtk-devel-list/2004-May/msg00010.html

Sven

Jakub Steiner
2004-06-14 20:18:03 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 09:55 -0700, Carol Spears wrote:

i have a feeling that someone like jimmac and/or tigert could design a file selector that would be more for the gimps needs and not a generic answer everyones needs (not gimps) widget and at least one of the gimp developers could easily put one together.

I would rather address some of the issues with the new fileselector and use the possibility to extend it rather than going for something completely different. The Ctrl+L entry needs some love indeed, but especially the save dialog is very dandy.

cheers

Carol Spears
2004-06-14 20:31:02 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

hello
On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 08:07:18PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,
Carol Spears writes:

I'd prefer if everyone who wants to contribute to this discussion tries the new file selector first. A guess on how a new widget might work is not a good basis for a productive discussion.

this is a more than fair request, except for the fact that it is impossible for someone who is using gimp-2.0 to easily use gimp-2.1.

the very least i can do is to look at the screenshot ....

carol

Carol Spears
2004-06-14 20:32:38 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 08:18:03PM +0200, Jakub Steiner wrote:

I would rather address some of the issues with the new fileselector and use the possibility to extend it rather than going for something completely different. The Ctrl+L entry needs some love indeed, but especially the save dialog is very dandy.

now i am thinking this is a job for timecop.

does anyone know if bubblemon has been ported to gtk2 yet?

carol

Owen
2004-06-14 21:55:20 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:31:02 -0700 Carol Spears wrote:

this is a more than fair request, except for the fact that it is impossible for someone who is using gimp-2.0 to easily use gimp-2.1.

It what way is it impossible? I have both running at the same time with different themes for easy identification.

Khiraly
2004-06-14 23:13:57 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

2004-06-14, h keltezéssel 20:18-kor Jakub Steiner ezt írta:

Hi,

Maybe I would post at the gtk mailing list, but first Im curious for your opinions. I have made a file open dialog improvement in the new one (as mockup).

The main improvements are: 1. a horizontal layout for the path (the one divided by / signs) on the top (new : / sign; always starts from root) 2. folder names are bold
3. input field, where TAB completion works of course, as in the previous version. Above that path could be repeated as simple text. 4. name of the selected file appears in the input field (as in the earlier version)

Mockup:
http://www.pvvbitech.hu/fotok/openDialog/openDialog.png

If anybody will improve, here is the xcf file: http://www.pvvbitech.hu/fotok/openDialog/openDialog.xcf

All feedback, opinion are most welcome!

Cheers, Khiraly

Carol Spears
2004-06-14 23:28:16 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 05:55:20AM +1000, Owen wrote:

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 11:31:02 -0700 Carol Spears wrote:

It what way is it impossible? I have both running at the same time with different themes for easy identification.

there are issues with the plug-ins and a clash of names, iirc.

carol

Carol Spears
2004-06-14 23:44:05 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

hello there,
On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 11:13:57PM +0200, Khiraly wrote:

Maybe I would post at the gtk mailing list, but first Im curious for your opinions. I have made a file open dialog improvement in the new one (as mockup).

The main improvements are: 1. a horizontal layout for the path (the one divided by / signs) on the top (new : / sign; always starts from root) 2. folder names are bold
3. input field, where TAB completion works of course, as in the previous version. Above that path could be repeated as simple text. 4. name of the selected file appears in the input field (as in the earlier version)

Mockup:
http://www.pvvbitech.hu/fotok/openDialog/openDialog.png

i looked at this. it seems to me that the horizontal layout for the path you suggested is already set up by gtk to be used vertically in that area on the left. gtk-tree-view or something like this.

the buttons that are there on my gimp-2.0 file-selector are just space wasters. i dont have or use a "Desktop" directory (or folder, whatever) nor do i have or use a "Documents" directory (or folder, again, whatever).

widgets should not assume things with valuable space.

while the "/" between the buttons look sort of silly, the thumbnail of the image is quite lovely.

carol

Khiraly
2004-06-15 00:04:31 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

the buttons that are there on my gimp-2.0 file-selector are just space wasters. i dont have or use a "Desktop" directory (or folder, whatever) nor do i have or use a "Documents" directory (or folder, again, whatever).

Documents, Desktop and Home was there in gimp 2.0 too. The improvement what is already there, that you can add a specific directory at the left list.

while the "/" between the buttons look sort of silly,

For me the "/" between the buttons just *clarify* what are this huge amount of button. Is it a path. At the moment (gimp 2.1.0) the buttons are organized horizontalement too, but at the first look I didnt recognize that its a path, I thinked that there are just another option buttons.

So I think, if the path button would be rest horizontal arrangement(and not drop-down menu), that it must separate with a / for clarify that its a *path*. Maybe it is a waste of space, it can developed (i think), but it must be there.

Cheers,
Khiraly

Alan Horkan
2004-06-15 02:39:12 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004, Jakub Steiner wrote:

Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 20:18:03 +0200 From: Jakub Steiner
To: Carol Spears
Cc: GIMPUser
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] a gimp file-selector

I think this would be very wise.

There is an outstanding bug report requesting a way to have the location bar always be shown (i posted a link in an ealier thread on the developer list).

There are many applications besides the GIMP that want/need a thumbnail preview in their filechooser, so if the gtk developers knew what was required there could be extended version of the standard file selector that could benifit more than just the GIMP.

- Alan.

Sven Neumann
2004-06-15 11:02:39 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

completely different. The Ctrl+L entry needs some love indeed, but especially the save dialog is very dandy.

Mind if I ask what "this" is which is supposed to be very wise? The save dialog being very dandy?

There are many applications besides the GIMP that want/need a thumbnail preview in their filechooser, so if the gtk developers knew what was required there could be extended version of the standard file selector that could benifit more than just the GIMP.

Would you mind to explain why you are talking about thumbnail previews now? Did I miss something?

Sven

Alan Horkan
2004-06-16 21:44:56 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

Sorry for the late reply

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

Date: 15 Jun 2004 11:02:39 +0200
To: Alan Horkan
Cc: GIMPUser
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] a gimp file-selector

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

completely different. The Ctrl+L entry needs some love indeed, but especially the save dialog is very dandy.

Mind if I ask what "this" is which is supposed to be very wise? The save dialog being very dandy?

this refferred to Jimmacs suggestion

use the possibility to extend it rather than going for something completely different. The Ctrl+L entry needs some love indeed, but

it makes sense to extend the generic gtk file chooser so that it has a preview pane that other developers can use rather than having it as a GIMP only feature.

- Alan

Sven Neumann
2004-06-17 10:19:22 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

use the possibility to extend it rather than going for something completely different. The Ctrl+L entry needs some love indeed, but

it makes sense to extend the generic gtk file chooser so that it has a preview pane that other developers can use rather than having it as a GIMP only feature.

It isn't a GIMP only feature, what are you talking? The preview is part of the standard GtkFileChooser. Alan, please, make yourself comfortable with the GTK+ APIs or just stop making such remarks.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-06-17 23:11:05 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 10:19:22AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Alan Horkan writes:

It isn't a GIMP only feature, what are you talking? The preview is part of the standard GtkFileChooser. Alan, please, make yourself comfortable with the GTK+ APIs or just stop making such remarks.

earlier on in this thread, i was rambling on about gimp-1.2 which had a file selector that was unique to the gimp. i suggested that this might be a good approach to take.

alan was suggesting that this was a selfish approach to take.

if i remember this thread properly.

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-06-18 01:29:54 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

earlier on in this thread, i was rambling on about gimp-1.2 which had a file selector that was unique to the gimp.

Sorry, but this is just plain wrong. GIMP never had a file selector that was unique to the gimp (well, except when gtk+ was only used by gimp). We only used to poke more in the gtk+ file-selector internals than we do now with the file-chooser widget.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-06-18 04:12:44 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:29:54AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

We only used to poke more in the gtk+ file-selector internals than we do now with the file-chooser widget.

which made the gimp-1.2 file selector unique among gtk apps (back then)?

carol

Sven Neumann
2004-06-18 11:52:06 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a gimp file-selector

Hi,

Carol Spears writes:

On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 01:29:54AM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

We only used to poke more in the gtk+ file-selector internals than we do now with the file-chooser widget.

which made the gimp-1.2 file selector unique among gtk apps (back then)?

Do you think so? I wouldn't call it unique, I'd call it slightly different. The actual file-selection wasn't changed at all. We only tweaked some spacings and added a preview (and a lot of other apps did that as well).

Sven