RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp 2.1.0 development version

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp 2.1.0 development version Khiraly 14 Jun 16:42
  gimp 2.1.0 development version Sven Neumann 14 Jun 17:52
   gimp 2.1.0 development version Carol Spears 14 Jun 18:48
Khiraly
2004-06-14 16:42:01 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi!

Still its another people who have the same tablet problem as me. A talk about this bug:
http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/tabletbug.png

Gimp 2.1.0 development version doesnt have this bug!

But with gimp2.1.0 I have several problem: It can open only .xcf files not jpg and png. And the gimpprint support isnt there(at ./configrue i didnt have any warning about this)

How can I enable the different file-type support?

------------------------- Other things:
OPEN FILE DIALOG

The new file open dialog is a step backward. Its really uncomfortable. I dont have a input box where can I input the file-path. (/mnt/big/rajzok/munkaim/egyeb/papagaj.png)

In general It hide completely the file-hierarchy. The old open dialog had a drop-down menu where was marked the complete path (with slash!(/))

My impression is that the unix intellectuality are completely ignored. (ex: At first look I didnt find where I am, how can I go to the root(/). Filesystem == / its a good joke.)

Its not difference between the directory and the regular file. (just when I click on it).

If I click on ``HOME'' button I cant go up the hierarchy (ie: /home/lama/ its my home I cant go in /home, just if I click on the left on Filesystem button.)

So I must learn that: Home=/home/lama
Desktop=/home/lama/Desktop
Filesystem=/

(in other language is more terrible the associate, because the variable $HOME is the same but Home is translated for the local language. So isnt self-explanatory that ``Personlicher Ordner'' is /home/lama)
---------------

Its just my opinion, and I have written it as constructive critics.

I have several ideas how could be improved this file open dialog, and save some really good things from the old one. Is it help when I make a mockup of this, or is just not the case?

Cheers, Khiraly

Sven Neumann
2004-06-14 17:52:55 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Khiraly writes:

Still its another people who have the same tablet problem as me. A talk about this bug:
http://pingus.seul.org/~grumbel/tmp/tabletbug.png

This is fixed in both the stable and the development branch. The GIMP 2.0.2 release will have it fixed.

Other things:
OPEN FILE DIALOG

The new file open dialog is a step backward. Its really uncomfortable. I dont have a input box where can I input the file-path. (/mnt/big/rajzok/munkaim/egyeb/papagaj.png)

Hit Ctrl-L to get a dialog that allows you to input a filename.

Its not difference between the directory and the regular file. (just when I click on it).

You need to install an icon theme and tell gtk+ to use it. Check the gtk+ mailing lists archive.

Anyway, the discussion about the GTK+ file chooser dialog belongs on a GTK+ mailing-list. We can't change it so it's pointless to discuss it here.

Sven

Carol Spears
2004-06-14 18:48:37 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 05:52:55PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

Khiraly writes:

Other things:
OPEN FILE DIALOG

Hit Ctrl-L to get a dialog that allows you to input a filename.

i would like to have some more information before i go to bugzilla with my ideas about this.

i was around when the gtk guys put decorative corners onto some places in the widget. the problem was that the decorative corner was not a decorative item but was supposed to be a handle to expand dialogs with.

the real linuxy thinking did not like a handle with no purpose.

i saw something similar when they were not worried about being able to use linux tab completion when typing into this part of the file selector dialog.

now it is not available at all?

someone told me that as long as Owen was involved with gtk2 that this sort of stuff would not happen. is this still a fact?

You need to install an icon theme and tell gtk+ to use it. Check the gtk+ mailing lists archive.

Anyway, the discussion about the GTK+ file chooser dialog belongs on a GTK+ mailing-list. We can't change it so it's pointless to discuss it here.

sort of pointless, sort of not. i understand what i need from gtk only from using the gimp. my nice window manager and all of those toys are fun but unnecessary.

i need gimp to work like a linux application on my desktop no matter how pretty the desktop is or how many toys i need around.

less pointless would be an explanation so a mere user can take a logical complaint to gtk. can you help with this?

carol