RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

printing

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

printing Tomek Grzejszczyk 09 Jun 15:37
  printing Gary Montalbine 09 Jun 16:19
  printing Jouni Tapio Rinne 09 Jun 22:14
   printing Gary Montalbine 09 Jun 23:53
Tomek Grzejszczyk
2004-06-09 15:37:01 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

printing

Hi,
I want to print an image. I have cups installed and I can do it writing: lp image.jpg
But when I try to print this image from gimp (which gives me really great flexibility to position and scale the image, and set printing quality), I get no result. It is strange because I see that gimp is set up to print by calling:

lp -s -dEpson640C -oraw

Epson640C is the only printer on my system. Some processing happens, I can see that load increasess, but nothing goes to the printer. Cups log is here: http://62.121.81.182/pub/error_log

I've tried some other printing commands: lp -s -dEpson640C
lp

but it only results in slightly different kind of messages in cups's log.

I'am using the following versions of software: [tomek@grzejhost tomek]$ rpm -q gimp gimp-2.0.0-1
[tomek@grzejhost tomek]$ rpm -q cups cups-1.1.20-2

Greetings and thanks for help, Tomek Grzejszczyk

Gary Montalbine
2004-06-09 16:19:15 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

printing

Tomek Grzejszczyk wrote:

Hi,
I want to print an image. I have cups installed and I can do it writing: lp image.jpg
But when I try to print this image from gimp (which gives me really great flexibility to position and scale the image, and set printing quality), I get no result. It is strange because I see that gimp is set up to print by calling:

lp -s -dEpson640C -oraw

Epson640C is the only printer on my system. Some processing happens, I can see that load increasess, but nothing goes to the printer. Cups log is here:
http://62.121.81.182/pub/error_log

lp

but it only results in slightly different kind of messages in cups's log.

I'am using the following versions of software: [tomek@grzejhost tomek]$ rpm -q gimp gimp-2.0.0-1
[tomek@grzejhost tomek]$ rpm -q cups cups-1.1.20-2

Greetings and thanks for help, Tomek Grzejszczyk

I had a similar problem. I ended up using "lpr" and it worked. I have a HPdeskjet using printer model "PostScript Level 2". With my limited printer knowledge, I don't think I have Cups installed. At least I don't remember configuring it. Don't even know how to check.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Jouni Tapio Rinne
2004-06-09 22:14:22 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

printing

Tomek Grzejszczyk wrote:

Hi,

lp -s -dEpson640C -oraw

lp

I don't know about your system, but in my Slackware Linux the 'lp' and 'lpr' are both symlinks to 'lp-cups' and 'lpr-cups' respectively. I'm using the command

lpr -l -P

to print from Gimp.

Try 'lpr-cups' instead of 'lpr' in case your symlinks aren't set correctly. If you are using Postscript Level 2 on Gimp, you have to choose the correct PPD file for your printer, and use the command

lpr -P

to print.

JR

Gary Montalbine
2004-06-09 23:53:19 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

printing

Jouni Tapio Rinne wrote:

Tomek Grzejszczyk wrote:

Hi,

lp -s -dEpson640C -oraw

lp

I don't know about your system, but in my Slackware Linux the 'lp' and 'lpr' are both symlinks to 'lp-cups' and 'lpr-cups' respectively. I'm using the command

lpr -l -P

to print from Gimp.

Try 'lpr-cups' instead of 'lpr' in case your symlinks aren't set correctly. If you are using Postscript Level 2 on Gimp, you have to choose the correct PPD file for your printer, and use the command

lpr -P

to print.

JR

Thanks for the info. I am using ML10.0 and lpr does point to lpr-cups. However, I can print just using "lpr" without the PPD file or lpr -P plus the PPD file. I am using Postscript level 2. I did not notice any change in the printing results.

One other thing I can't figure out is how to change the margins. They appear to be preset and will not get samller. For example, I have .5" set on the left and it will not decrease.

Also the "media type", "media source", "inktype" and "resolution" are blanked out.

Gary