RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

alternating brighter and normal-color stripes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

alternating brighter and normal-color stripes klaus triendl 07 Jun 21:06
  alternating brighter and normal-color stripes Carol Spears 07 Jun 21:16
  alternating brighter and normal-color stripes Henrik Brix Andersen 07 Jun 22:02
  alternating brighter and normal-color stripes Jeff Trefftzs 07 Jun 22:36
  alternating brighter and normal-color stripes Sven Neumann 08 Jun 00:15
klaus triendl
2004-06-07 21:06:32 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

hi,

as i don't know how it is called what i wanna make, i paraphrise it:

at gnome.org and other gnome-related sites there is a background image at the very top of the site, having alternating brighter and normal-color stripes.

how can i reach this effect?

-- klaus triendl

Carol Spears
2004-06-07 21:16:40 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Mon, Jun 07, 2004 at 09:06:32PM +0200, klaus triendl wrote:

hi,

at gnome.org and other gnome-related sites there is a background image at the very top of the site, having alternating brighter and normal-color stripes.

the scripts are all there. it is so much fun to run through the scripts and familiarize yourself with them. you are actually not doing the fun part where you search for the script yourself.

i had to do this with every other graphics application i tested. one way to look through the scripts is to look through the menu options for the some words that describe this affect.

making the script work is also entertaining and fun. some need different formats to perform. it is just as entertaining to consider why the script will only work on greyscales as it is to watch tv or cook a meal.

gnome sticks to themselves pretty well. while some icons were probably made with propietary software (we dont talk about it, there are developmental reasons to make some sorts of images, depending on the date and conditions); but i can guarentee that gnome.org front page web images were made with the gimp.

the fun is in figuring out how the artist did it. have some fun?

carol

Henrik Brix Andersen
2004-06-07 22:02:24 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 21:06, klaus triendl wrote:

You could render a white "grid" (with only horizontal lines in it) on a transparent layer on top of your image - then play with the layer opacity until you're satisfied.

There's a plug-in for rendering grids included with the GIMP, but I haven't got access to a GIMP installation right now, so I can not tell you the menu path :/

It's somewhere below /Filters/Render/ I think.

Regards, Brix

Jeff Trefftzs
2004-06-07 22:36:33 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Mon, 2004-06-07 at 12:06, klaus triendl wrote:

hi,

Try Filters/Distorts/Video and use the wide stripes option. I think this must be what the Gnome folks used.

HTH,

Sven Neumann
2004-06-08 00:15:01 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

klaus triendl writes:

GIMP 2.0 includes a pattern just for this very purpose. All you need to do is to create an empty layer on top of your image, choose one of the "Stripes" patterns and drop it on the image (or use the Bucket Fill tool to fill the empty layer with that pattern). Then adjust the layer opacity to your needs.

Sven