RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.1.0 Development Release

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.1.0 Development Release Sven Neumann 03 Jun 14:27
  ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.1.0 Development Release Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 03 Jun 15:00
   ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.1.0 Development Release Joao S. O. Bueno 03 Jun 15:49
   ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.1.0 Development Release Sven Neumann 03 Jun 16:01
    ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.1.0 Development Release Simon Budig 03 Jun 16:38
     ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.1.0 Development Release Sven Neumann 03 Jun 16:59
    ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.1.0 Development Release Alan Horkan 03 Jun 22:42
   ANNOUNCE: GIMP 2.1.0 Development Release Carol Spears 13 Jan 05:01
Sven Neumann
2004-06-03 14:27:08 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

it's about seven weeks since we branched the CVS tree and there is now a first development snapshot of GIMP 2.1 available from ftp.gimp.org and it's mirrors:

http://gimp.org/downloads/#mirrors

This is an unstable development release. It certainly has bugs and there are a number of unfinished hacks. We are nevertheless interested in your feedback and would like you to file bug reports for crashes and non-obvious problems.

Please note that you cannot install gimp-2.1 side-by-side with gimp-2.0 into the same prefix. A number of files will clash, so please use a separate prefix to install this development version! For details, please read the file INSTALL.

Also, please do not distribute binary packages of gimp-2.1. We are aiming for a gimp-2.2 release in a few months, so please wait for gimp-2.2.

Here's an overview of changes since GIMP 2.0:

GIMP 2.1 includes the following enhancements:

- Major user interface improvements.

* Large parts of the GIMP user interface have been changed to comply better with the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines. This is an ongoing effort and the interface may still be inconsistent in a few places.

* Users are now allowed to clear the undo history.

* The unit to be used for the rulers and the coordinates display is now a display property and can be changed in the statusbar of the image window.

* New widgets and frameworks provided by GTK+ 2.4 are used; this means

+ uses the new GtkFileChooser dialog, vastly improving the file dialogs.
+ includes port of menus to GtkUIManager, which creates all core menus from XML files at runtime. This means that menu items can be rearranged by users simply by editing these files. + uses a global accelerator table in all docks and image windows. This means that a hotkey will do the same thing regardless of which dock or image window you are using. + adds replacement widgets based on GtkComboBox for most uses of GtkOptionMenu (GimpUnitMenu remains to be ported) + adds GimpContainerEntry, a GtkEntry with completion based on the contents of a GimpContainer. + makes the order and visibility of tools in the toolbox configurable + allows keeping toolbox and dock windows above other windows (if the WM supports this hint)

* The toolbox now has an optional preview of the active image.

* The image window now accepts file/uri drops.

- More internal cleanup and refactoring of the core object model.

- The brush rendering code has been separated from the generic paint tool code. The ink tool is now a paint tool (it can do straight lines) and the new infrastructure allows to implement new kinds of paint methods like vector based painting.

- Gradients can now be created, deleted, renamed and edited through the PDB.

- Some changes to plug-ins.

* Plug-ins can now register the same procedures in multiple places (the API to register menu entries has been changed in a backward-compatible fashion).

* Plug-ins can now optionally register a menu icon.

* File plug-ins can now register a mime-type.

* All plug-in dialogs have been reviewed and changed to make them comply better with the GNOME Human Interface Guidelines.

* All plug-ins that need to access files use the new GtkFileChooser dialog.

* The obsolete AlienMap and GIcon plug-ins were removed. AlienMap2 does everything than AlienMap did, and the GIMP-specific GIcon format has not been used by anything for quite some time now.

* A plug-in to load and save windows icon files has been added.

Contributors:

Michael Natterer, Sven Neumann, Maurits Rijk, Manish Singh, Henrik Brix Andersen, Philip Lafleur, Raphael Quinet, Simon Budig, William Skaggs, Shlomi Fish, Kevin, Cozens, Jakub Steiner, Dave Neary, Daniel Kobras, Jordi Gay, Yeti, Marco Munari, David Necas, Nils Philippsen, Soeren Wedel Nielsen, Joao S. O. Bueno, lots of translators and the contributors that I accidentally missed...

Happy GIMPing!

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-06-03 15:00:41 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Le 03.06.2004 14:27:08, Sven Neumann a écrit :

Hi,

it's about seven weeks since we branched the CVS tree and there is now
a first development snapshot of GIMP 2.1 available from ftp.gimp.org and it's mirrors:

This is an unstable development release. It certainly has bugs and there are a number of unfinished hacks. We are nevertheless interested
in your feedback and would like you to file bug reports for crashes and non-obvious problems.

[ ... ]

I've built the cvs several time, just to see if I have everything needed on my system.
After the incoming of gtk-2.4 on Debian sid, everything went fine... about compilation and run.

I've anyway a couple of question : 1 - localization : I've not found the way the localization is done (if done) with the new xml menu structure.

2 - gtk-2.4 file chooser : I've not found the way to enter a filename from the keyboard but only a graphical, "mouse friendly" menu. Is there a way to select a file in a classical way ? With the previous versions, it was easy, even the gtk+ completion was fine.

-- Regards
- Jean-Luc

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-06-03 15:49:12 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Thursday 03 June 2004 10:00, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

Le 03.06.2004 14:27:08, Sven Neumann a écrit :

Hi,

a first development snapshot of GIMP 2.1 available from ftp.gimp.org and it's mirrors:

This is an unstable development release. It certainly has bugs and there are a number of unfinished hacks. We are nevertheless interested
in your feedback and would like you to file bug reports for crashes and non-obvious problems.

[ ... ]

I've built the cvs several time, just to see if I have everything needed on my system.
After the incoming of gtk-2.4 on Debian sid, everything went fine... about compilation and run.

I've anyway a couple of question : 1 - localization : I've not found the way the localization is done (if done) with the new xml menu structure.

hmm. I ran into this as well. It's done just the sameway, what happens is that the .po files in CVS are not up to date. All you have to do is to proceed to the .po directory and type #../intltool-update (and update the translation).

2 - gtk-2.4 file chooser : I've not found the way to enter a filename from the keyboard but only a graphical, "mouse friendly" menu. Is there a way to select a file in a classical way ? With the previous versions, it was easy, even the gtk+ completion was fine.

Well...
this is just a _blocker_ bug introduced in the new GTK. The GIMP will certainly have to override this keyboardless file chooser at some point.

--
Regards
- Jean-Luc

Regards,
JS
->

Sven Neumann
2004-06-03 16:01:15 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)" writes:

There are no translatable strings in the XML files. The XML files specify the location of menu entries, not the strings associated with them.

Type Ctrl-L to get an entry with nice TAB completion. Yes, I'd like to see this entry being part of the file chooser by default but that's something that you need to tell the GTK+ developers.

Sven

Simon Budig
2004-06-03 16:38:26 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann (sven@gimp.org) wrote:

Type Ctrl-L to get an entry with nice TAB completion.

Use File->Open Location. Ctrl-L still is the default shortcut for the Layers dialog and I'd be very unhappy if this'd get changed "because some people might confuse gimp with a browser"...

Bye, Simon

Sven Neumann
2004-06-03 16:59:52 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Simon Budig writes:

Sven Neumann (sven@gimp.org) wrote:

Type Ctrl-L to get an entry with nice TAB completion.

Use File->Open Location. Ctrl-L still is the default shortcut for the Layers dialog and I'd be very unhappy if this'd get changed "because some people might confuse gimp with a browser"...

You misunderstood me. Ctrl-L typed into the GtkFileChooser opens a dialog that offers the old Tab-completion functionality to select a file. File->Open Location is a different thing. It doesn't do completion on the file-system and it isn't meant to be used for local files. It's about opening remote files by specifying an URL. And unfortunately it's also broken in 2.1.0 (fixed in CVS).

Sven

Alan Horkan
2004-06-03 22:42:17 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Thu, 3 Jun 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

There are no translatable strings in the XML files. The XML files specify the location of menu entries, not the strings associated with them.

Type Ctrl-L to get an entry with nice TAB completion. Yes, I'd like to

(for auto-complete i thought they were getting rid of TAB completion and using suggest/replace as you type instead, because using TAB messes with navigating through the widgets in the dialog, but they might not have do so yet).

see this entry being part of the file chooser by default but that's something that you need to tell the GTK+ developers.

As well as emailing the developers you should look at this enhancement request.
http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_.cgi?id=136541

Sincerely

Alan Horkan http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/

Carol Spears
2005-01-13 05:01:11 UTC (over 19 years ago)

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 03:00:41PM +0200, Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) wrote:

Le 03.06.2004 14:27:08, Sven Neumann a ?crit?:

[ ... ]

still not fixed.

it is not easier. it has some cool new features, yet this file selector is dictating how people work.

any suggestions?

my suggestion is that configurability for the old way the file selector worked be added. since for whatever reason it needs to be "simpler" for new users, this can be something that is added to the file selector via editing the configuration files, the way a few different operating systems used to do it.

a certain amount of expertise and the desire to have the old way working again -- and the cool linux originated app would have its configurability back.

also, it would make certain corporations look less responsible for mangling perfectly good software.

better yet, everyone put the credit where it belongs and when changes are made that are so against the overall nature of what made the software strong and good to begin with, well, if it is so good, put your own name on it and do with it what you will. keeping the gimp's name on a tool kit that spits in the eye of its origins is perhaps a sin?

it smells of lack of pride of the people who did it. i know the individuals, and i think there is nothing wrong with them or the name. they should be as proud of themselves as i am to know them and have worked with them and put their own name on their software.

all this time, who should feel the shame?

carol