RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Rectangle Select Tool, Gimp 2.8

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Rectangle Select Tool, Gimp 2.8 Reflat N 17 May 17:42
  Rectangle Select Tool, Gimp 2.8 Olivier 17 May 17:56
   Rectangle Select Tool, Gimp 2.8 Reflat N 17 May 19:11
    Rectangle Select Tool, Gimp 2.8 Richard Gitschlag 18 May 15:43
Reflat N
2012-05-17 17:42:50 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

Recently upgraded to Gimp 2.8 for the single window mode (which works brilliantly in Ubuntu, especially with the HUD).

But the Rectangle Select Tool has a new - but odd - behaviour. When I draw a selection, and then add to that selection, a new "square" is position at my cursor. (See attached screenshot.) This didn't happen in 2.6 and is a bit irritating because it disorientates me slightly, especially if I'm working quickly.

Is there a way to turn that off (or revert it to the 2.6 way)?

Olivier
2012-05-17 17:56:35 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

2012/5/17 Reflat N :

Recently upgraded to Gimp 2.8 for the single window mode (which works brilliantly in Ubuntu, especially with the HUD).

But the Rectangle Select Tool has a new - but odd - behaviour. When I draw a selection, and then add to that selection, a new "square" is position at my cursor. (See attached screenshot.) This didn't happen in 2.6 and is a bit irritating because it disorientates me slightly, especially if I'm working quickly.

This "square" is simply the same outline that appears when you first begin using the rectangle select tool. It's the same, whether you are beginning a new selection, or adding or subtracting to an existing selection. I don't see why it disorientates you.

Reflat N
2012-05-17 19:11:52 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

It wasn't there in 2.6. Why does there need to be a square? Why can't the selection start from a zero dimension point instead of a predefined rectangle?

It's disorientating if you're drawing a selection that is smaller than the rectangle, for example.

On 17 May 2012 19:56, Olivier wrote:

2012/5/17 Reflat N :

But the Rectangle Select Tool has a new - but odd - behaviour. When I

draw a

selection, and then add to that selection, a new "square" is position at

my

cursor. (See attached screenshot.) This didn't happen in 2.6 and is a bit irritating because it disorientates me slightly, especially if I'm

working

quickly.

This "square" is simply the same outline that appears when you first begin using the rectangle select tool. It's the same, whether you are beginning a new selection, or adding or subtracting to an existing selection. I don't see why it disorientates you. --
Olivier Lecarme

Richard Gitschlag
2012-05-18 15:43:17 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

As mentioned, the "square" of which you are speaking is simply a graphical corner handle (16x16 screen pixels, regardless of actual zoom level) and is NOT an actual part of the selection - you can still create selections all the way down to 0x0 in size with no loss of functionality.

But I do agree that it is an unexpected distraction and - possibly - a bug. Selection handles have a minimum size of 16x16 screen pixels; if the selection is smaller than 48x48 (in screen pixels) then GIMP renders the handles in an outset manner (larger areas render inset handles). However, when you click-and-drag to create a selection you may notice that the selection handles are drawn in an outset manner when you initially click, but suddenly switch to inset the moment you begin dragging.

-- Stratadrake strata_ranger@hotmail.com
--------------------
Numbers may not lie, but neither do they tell the whole truth.

From: fokjulle@gmail.com Date: Thu, 17 May 2012 21:11:52 +0200 CC: gimp-user-list@gnome.org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Rectangle Select Tool, Gimp 2.8

It wasn't there in 2.6. Why does there need to be a square? Why can't the selection start from a zero dimension point instead of a predefined rectangle?

It's disorientating if you're drawing a selection that is smaller than the rectangle, for example.

On 17 May 2012 19:56, Olivier wrote:

2012/5/17 Reflat N :

Recently upgraded to Gimp 2.8 for the single window mode (which works

brilliantly in Ubuntu, especially with the HUD).

But the Rectangle Select Tool has a new - but odd - behaviour. When I draw a

selection, and then add to that selection, a new "square" is position at my

cursor. (See attached screenshot.) This didn't happen in 2.6 and is a bit

irritating because it disorientates me slightly, especially if I'm working

quickly.

This "square" is simply the same outline that appears when you first

begin using the rectangle select tool. It's the same, whether you are

beginning a new selection, or adding or subtracting to an existing

selection. I don't see why it disorientates you.

--

Olivier Lecarme

gimp-user-list mailing list
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list