RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Problem with Windows Gimp 2.8 and Cage tool

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Problem with Windows Gimp 2.8 and Cage tool Koko Palen 17 May 07:41
  Problem with Windows Gimp 2.8 and Cage tool Gimpuser2012 29 May 07:29
   Problem with Windows Gimp 2.8 and Cage tool Koko Palen 29 May 08:18
  Problem with Windows Gimp 2.8 and Cage tool CityHunter 14 Jun 19:54
   Problem with Windows Gimp 2.8 and Cage tool kns 08 May 00:03
    Problem with Windows Gimp 2.8 and Cage tool SWL 08 Aug 01:35
Problem with Windows Gimp 2.8 and Cage tool Jernej Simončič 29 May 13:38
Koko Palen
2012-05-17 07:41:35 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

Hello everybody,

First mail to this list, I hope this is the correct place to ask this!

I've installed the Gimp 2.8 Windows version suggested in the official site but I cannot run the cage tool. After making the grid it quickly show a progress circle saying "calculating coefficients" (or something like that, since I'm using it in spanish), then "transform grid" and then it hangs up (and closes gimp) saying:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

I've checked the installer wasn't corrupt and I've installed it in two different computers (both having Windows Xp SP3). I think I have more than enough free memory, so probably the problem is in my Visual C++ libraries. At least I have installed the Visual C++ 2008 and 2010 Redistributable libraries to no avail.

Is the cage tool working in the windows version? Should I install something to make it work?

Thanks in advance for your help! Regards, Koko.

2012-05-29 07:29:16 UTC (almost 12 years ago)
postings

Hello,

same problem here (Win XP, 32 bit, SP3, MS Visual C++ 2010 x86 redistributable 10.0.30319).

Before, I got the same error in the same situation. Then, I uninstalled all versions of MS Visual C++ and then installed the latest one mentioned above: at least now I can cage the desired area but it would break off with the same as before as soon as I want to transform the cage.

There is another thread in gimp-attitude.org: "Problème avec l'outil cage de Gimp 2.8" (French) but no one seems to know a solution.

I would be grateful for pointers on how to solve this. Thanks!

Koko Palen
2012-05-29 08:18:52 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

2012/5/29 Gimpuser2012

There is another thread in gimp-attitude.org: "Problème avec l'outil cage de Gimp 2.8" (French) but no one seems to know a solution.

I did several tests, installing and uninstalling Visual C++ libraries, deleting the profile and so on, to no avail. It may be a bug in the Gimp. There is a bug ticket in bugzilla (here: https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=676468 ). I'm going to write there my experience so the bug appears as confirmed. You could post there your specs too to help developers find the problem.

So, till it is fixed, I think we'll have to wait for the next release to use the cage tool (or use Linux :)).

Jernej Simončič
2012-05-29 13:38:38 UTC (almost 12 years ago)

On Tue, 29 May 2012 10:18:52 +0200, Koko Palen wrote:

I did several tests, installing and uninstalling Visual C++ libraries, deleting the profile and so on, to no avail.

This should have zero effect on GIMP, since it's compiled with MinGW, and uses msvcrt.dll (which is a part of Windows, and can't be replaced, except by Windows updates).

2012-06-14 19:54:32 UTC (almost 12 years ago)
postings

Hello everybody,

First mail to this list, I hope this is the correct place to ask this!

I've installed the Gimp 2.8 Windows version suggested in the official site but I cannot run the cage tool. After making the grid it quickly show a progress circle saying "calculating coefficients" (or something like that, since I'm using it in spanish), then "transform grid" and then it hangs up (and closes gimp) saying:

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Runtime Error! This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

I've checked the installer wasn't corrupt and I've installed it in two different computers (both having Windows Xp SP3). I think I have more than enough free memory, so probably the problem is in my Visual C++ libraries. At least I have installed the Visual C++ 2008 and 2010 Redistributable libraries to no avail.

Is the cage tool working in the windows version? Should I install something to make it work?

Thanks in advance for your help! Regards, Koko.

hello everyone i have the same problem, but i found someting curious, i run the portable version at my work and the computer was slower than mine, but the cage tool dint crashed! in fact worked very good, it has wndow xp sp3 and all , the only difference is that has instaled visual studio 6, i try to install it since i toll my boss about the problem and he said that will solve it, BUT, for some reason windows dont let me install Visual studio 6, so my boss told me to reinstal windows (whit the copy he has) ill do that soon has i back up all my stuff, but i posted this alternative for you to try it. if you cant install VS6 it could be for sure the problem of our crashes whit the cage tool , so i can be very sure is a windows issue since the program and the tool worked! good luck to all!

2016-05-08 00:03:24 UTC (almost 8 years ago)
postings

Same Problem with Gimp 2.8.16 under Ubuntu 16.04 (AMd64) Always reproductible even on a new blank image GImp Hangs after closing the area during "Cage transformaton computing" The little circle area changes from grey to green but à 90% Everything hangs. It is the first time I use this tool but it never worked.

2016-08-08 01:35:53 UTC (over 7 years ago)
postings

Same Problem with Gimp 2.8.16 under Ubuntu 16.04 (AMd64) Always reproductible even on a new blank image GImp Hangs after closing the area during "Cage transformaton computing"
The little circle area changes from grey to green but à 90% Everything hangs.
It is the first time I use this tool but it never worked.

I exactly have the same problem as user kns mentioned. The cage transform tool never worked for me, too. I'm using Linux Mint 18 64bit and Gimp 2.8.16, 8 GB RAM. Please take a look at the attached screencast.

How can i fix the bug?