RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp-2.0 text tool problems

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp-2.0 text tool problems Dave S 30 May 09:14
  Gimp-2.0 text tool problems Sven Neumann 30 May 12:46
   Gimp-2.0 text tool problems Dave S 30 May 14:55
Dave S
2004-05-30 09:14:41 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Im finding my way around Gimp-2.0 but have a couple of queries about the text tool..

Firstly, how do you create text at an angle, on gimp 1.2.3 it had an angle dialogue in the dyntext dialogue, I cannot find one in gimp-2.0.

Secondly (& this is driving me mad !) Once the text has been entered, you cannot just grab and move it,
you have to select the layer, select move, then move it. If its the wrong size, you have to re-select the layer, T then select the text, then adjust the font, colour.... Is there an easier way that I have overlooked ?

Any advice gratefully recieved

Cheers Dave

PS Gimp 2.0 is great ! I love it.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-30 12:46:45 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Dave S writes:

Im finding my way around Gimp-2.0 but have a couple of queries about the text tool..

Firstly, how do you create text at an angle, on gimp 1.2.3 it had an angle dialogue in the dyntext dialogue, I cannot find one in gimp-2.0.

Rotated text will hopefully be included in gimp-2.2. If you need rotated text with gimp-2.0, I suggest you use the Freetype plug-in (see http://freetype.gimp.org/).

Secondly (& this is driving me mad !) Once the text has been entered, you cannot just grab and move it, you have to select the layer, select move, then move it. If its the wrong size, you have to re-select the layer, T then select the text, then adjust the font, colour.... Is there an easier way that I have overlooked ?

The plan is to allow to move the text layer using the text tool but that's not yet implemented. For now you can use the Space key to temporarily switch to the move tool. That's not ideal but it makes things easier.

Sven

Dave S
2004-05-30 14:55:47 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Dave S writes:

Rotated text will hopefully be included in gimp-2.2. If you need rotated text with gimp-2.0, I suggest you use the Freetype plug-in (see http://freetype.gimp.org/).

Secondly (& this is driving me mad !) Once the text has been entered, you cannot just grab and move it, you have to select the layer, select move, then move it. If its the wrong size, you have to re-select the layer, T then select the text, then adjust the font, colour.... Is there an easier way that I have overlooked ?

The plan is to allow to move the text layer using the text tool but that's not yet implemented. For now you can use the Space key to temporarily switch to the move tool. That's not ideal but it makes things easier.

Sven

Thanks for the tips .... I will give them a go.

Gimp 2.0 is amazing & I am sure these few glitches will be sorted soon

Cheers Dave