RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Image Filter help

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Image Filter help Cédric GEMY 26 May 10:32
  Image Filter help Sven Neumann 26 May 12:32
Cédric GEMY
2004-05-26 10:32:06 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Image Filter help

Trying to add a help page for GIMP Image/image filters functions, I've been surprised of two things.

1. Gamma correction is based on 1.0 and not on real gamma of the monitor 2. Contrast correction seem not be very handy to me.

Does anybody have precise informations about those.

Thanks a lot Cédric

Sven Neumann
2004-05-26 12:32:49 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Image Filter help

Hi,

Cédric GEMY writes:

Trying to add a help page for GIMP Image/image filters functions, I've been surprised of two things.

1. Gamma correction is based on 1.0 and not on real gamma of the monitor

There is currently no way to get the monitor gamma value. Basically gamma correction is non-existant in The GIMP. We assume to work in sRGB colorspace where you would ideally not need any gamma correction (provided your monitor is perfectly calibrated).

2. Contrast correction seem not be very handy to me.

It is sometimes handy but probably not generally useful. You can use it to visualize contrast small changes. It is certainly not meant to be a "contrast correction".

Basically the display filters aren't more than a proof-of-concept and need more work before they can be generally useful. What is missing most is a way to configure a set of default filters and a way for the filter modules to access settings such as the monitor color profile or color profiles attached to an image. We'd like to improve the display filters framework but at the moment there is noone actively working on this.

Sven