RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

How to control one color only?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

How to control one color only? Keith Purtell 11 Apr 16:46
  How to control one color only? Steve Kinney 11 Apr 17:17
  How to control one color only? Борис Кукушкин 11 Apr 21:52
How to control one color only? Judah Kleinveldt 12 Apr 16:35
  How to control one color only? Keith Purtell 12 Apr 16:37
Keith Purtell
2012-04-11 16:46:54 UTC (about 12 years ago)

This is another of those things I knew how to do in PShop and am now trying to duplicate in GIMP. I have a photo of a flowchart drawn in green marker on a whiteboard. Photo taken with an iPhone, so quality is yuck. I brought out the greens with Color Enhance, but now the white board has areas that are yellow on the right and blue on the left.

How to target these "problem colors" and desaturate or otherwise move them back to white?

Keith

Steve Kinney
2012-04-11 17:17:07 UTC (about 12 years ago)

On 04/11/2012 12:46 PM, Keith Purtell wrote:

This is another of those things I knew how to do in PShop and am now trying to duplicate in GIMP. I have a photo of a flowchart drawn in green marker on a whiteboard. Photo taken with an iPhone, so quality is yuck. I brought out the greens with Color Enhance, but now the white board has areas that are yellow on the right and blue on the left.

How to target these "problem colors" and desaturate or otherwise move them back to white?

Hey Keith,

The Select By Color tool might do the trick for you - it's a button in the top row of the (default) main toolbox. Turn it on, click in an "average looking" part of the unwanted color anywhere in the image, and see how close it comes to getting everything you want to alter. In the Tool Options dialog dock, you can adjust the threshold of this tool to select a wider or narrower range of colors, image-wide.

Once you have (only) the bits you want to change selected, you can do any of a number of things: Drag and drop your color of choice from the foreground/background tool, use the Colors > Hue/Saturation tool, or etc.

:o)

Steve

Борис Кукушкин
2012-04-11 21:52:27 UTC (about 12 years ago)

Good day, Keith!

Could you show an example? For some reason I have a feeling that there is more than one way to accomplish this.

Best regards, Boris

2012/4/11 Keith Purtell

Keith

_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

Judah Kleinveldt
2012-04-12 16:35:42 UTC (about 12 years ago)

[Gimp-user] How to control one color only? Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

Keith the way I'd do it to keep things simple and quick is to create a selection of the troubling area, begin by creating a duplicate layer first then select (on the duplicate) as close the pixels as possible the area you need, create a new path from this selection incase you need to reselect later on.

Select area can then be adjust to what ever you need. Saturation, hue, contrast or even bluring.

To blend the changes to the rest of the image pixels a slight blur using the blur tool work well for me, starting with the slightest of opacity and blur. Ctrl+Z is my friend in this case.

Hope it helps you :)

Keith Purtell
2012-04-12 16:37:02 UTC (about 12 years ago)

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM, Judah Kleinveldt wrote:

[Gimp-user] How to control one color only?

Keith the way I'd do it to keep things simple and quick is to create a selection of the troubling area, begin by creating a duplicate layer first then select (on the duplicate) as close the pixels as possible the area you need, create a new path from this selection incase you need to reselect later on.

Select area can then be adjust to what ever you need. Saturation, hue, contrast or even bluring.

To blend the changes to the rest of the image pixels a slight blur using the blur tool work well for me, starting with the slightest of opacity and blur. Ctrl+Z is my friend in this case.

Hope it helps you :)

That's an approach I've never tried. Looking forward to seeing the results!

Keith