RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

positioning layer

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

positioning layer Andrew Gaffney 20 May 17:24
  positioning layer Joao S. O. Bueno 20 May 18:25
40ACDE9E.6070902@WRLee.com 07 Oct 20:16
  positioning layer Andrew Gaffney 20 May 18:43
Andrew Gaffney
2004-05-20 17:24:07 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

positioning layer

I'm using gimp-2.0 to create a few graphical buttons with centered text. Each button will have a regular image and a "rollover" image. I need to position the text layer in precisely the same spot on each pair of images, so the text doesn't move when it switches from the normal image to the "rollover" image on the site I'm building. How can I position a layer to the pixel?

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-05-20 18:25:52 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

positioning layer

On Thursday 20 May 2004 12:24, Andrew Gaffney wrote:

I'm using gimp-2.0 to create a few graphical buttons with centered text. Each button will have a regular image and a "rollover" image. I need to position the text layer in precisely the same spot on each pair of images, so the text doesn't move when it switches from the normal image to the "rollover" image on the site I'm building. How can I position a layer to the pixel?

Use layers->transform-> offset.

However, that counts the position from current coordinates, not from 0,0.

Another option is to use image guides - just click on the rulers and drag a guide to the desired position, and you layers will snap to it.

Regards,

JS ->

Andrew Gaffney
2004-05-20 18:43:12 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

positioning layer

That does help. Thanks.

Bill Lee wrote:

Why not just use the SAME layer?

I have a collection of buttons with widely varying text and the same background, frame, etc. I created the background once in its own layer and then created as many text layers as needed. To actually create the button, I select the background layer and the appropriate text layer and save to a gif (whatever) file as the appropriate button name. The whole schmeer is saved as a gimp xcf file so I can always go back later and add more text and create more buttons as needed

In your case, create the background and the roll-over background in separate layers. Then the text in a third. To create the button, make only the background and the text active, save to a gif. Then make only the roll-over background and the text active and save that, too.

If the text needs to be changed for the rollover (e.g., color, etc.), you could make a copy of the text layer and simply do some color substitution.

Hope that helps. It works well for me.

Regards,

Bill Lee

Andrew Gaffney wrote: