RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp perl and online docs problems.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp perl and online docs problems. Tom Cole 18 May 12:20
  Gimp perl and online docs problems. Sven Neumann 18 May 13:50
Gimp perl and online docs problems. Seth Burgess 18 May 15:04
Tom Cole
2004-05-18 12:20:04 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

I've been trying to install perl for Gimp 2.0, which I pretty much need to use many of the functions.

However, I keep getting the following output:

checking for GIMP - version >= 2.0.0... no *** Could not run GIMP test program, checking why... *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means *** that the run-time linker is not finding GIMP or finding the wrong *** version of GIMP. If it is not finding GIMP, you'll need to set your *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point *** to the installed location Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that *** is required on your system
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH configure: error: ** unable to find gimp, make sure it's in your path (version 1.3.15+ required!)

I have no idea what any of this means. Can somene explain it and help me?

Also, even though I have gtkhtml installed and working, it seems to not be able to find my gimp-2.0 online help. The browser comes up and I get the following error:

The GIMP help files are not installed.

Could not open '/usr/local/share/gimp/2.0/help/en/gimp-help.xml' for reading: No such file or directory

Please check your installation.

Got no errors (after much fiddling) for gtkhtml when ./configure-ing gimp-2.0. So what's up?

Many thanks,

Tom

Sven Neumann
2004-05-18 13:50:08 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Tom Cole writes:

I've been trying to install perl for Gimp 2.0, which I pretty much need to use many of the functions.

However, I keep getting the following output:

checking for GIMP - version >= 2.0.0... no *** Could not run GIMP test program, checking why... *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means *** that the run-time linker is not finding GIMP or finding the wrong *** version of GIMP. If it is not finding GIMP, you'll need to set your *** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point *** to the installed location Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that *** is required on your system
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although *** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH

The answer is right there in front of you. You need to tell your linker where the gimp libraries are located. This involves setting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable or editing /etc/ld.so.conf. In order to understand how the linker works and where it is searching for libraries, it is best to read the ld(1) manpage.

Also, even though I have gtkhtml installed and working, it seems to not be able to find my gimp-2.0 online help. The browser comes up and I get the following error:

The GIMP help files are not installed.

This is completely unrelated to gtkhtml2. You need to install the GIMP help files available from

ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/help/

Sven

Seth Burgess
2004-05-18 15:04:17 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

checking for GIMP - version >= 2.0.0... no *** Could not run GIMP test program, checking why...

Could you send me your config.log after you get your failure? Something is going wrong when its trying to link (at runtime I'd guess) to gimp libraries; the program it runs is pretty much hard-coded to return success right now.

Can't help with the gtkhtml/doc issues, maybe someone else knows that better.

Thanks,

Seth Burgess GIMP-Perl maintainer
sjburges@gimp.org