RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

tiff and lzw compression

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

tiff and lzw compression Norbert Preining 11 May 16:01
  tiff and lzw compression Joao S. O. Bueno 11 May 16:14
   tiff and lzw compression Sven Neumann 11 May 16:21
   tiff and lzw compression Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 11 May 16:25
  tiff and lzw compression Sven Neumann 11 May 16:17
   tiff and lzw compression Norbert Preining 11 May 16:27
Norbert Preining
2004-05-11 16:01:09 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

tiff and lzw compression

Hi there!

I am using debian/sid gimp package and I found that I can open tif with lzw compression, but now write these kind of files.

Is there any reason for this, i.e.: - Is tif/lzw compression excluded from gimp or only from the debian build?
- if only from the debian build, isn't the patent already phased out so that it could be included?

Thanks a lot and best wishes

Norbert

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Norbert Preining Technische Universität Wien gpg DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BURBAGE
The sound made by a liftful of people all trying to breathe politely through their noses.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-05-11 16:14:38 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

tiff and lzw compression

On Tuesday 11 May 2004 11:01, Norbert Preining wrote:

Hi there!

I am using debian/sid gimp package and I found that I can open tif with lzw compression, but now write these kind of files.

Is there any reason for this, i.e.: - Is tif/lzw compression excluded from gimp or only from the debian build?

only from de debian build.

- if only from the debian build, isn't the patent already phased out so that it could be included?

they say it hasn't expired in certains countries (not USA) yet. Anyway, you can either - install the TIFF and GIOF plug-ins from the "non free" or "non us" repository (I am not a debian man), build the Gimp yourself from the sources in gimp.org, or contact your favorite debian gimp packager.

Thanks a lot and best wishes

Norbert

Regards,

JS
->

Sven Neumann
2004-05-11 16:17:26 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

tiff and lzw compression

Hi,

Norbert Preining writes:

The GIMP code asks libtiff to use LZW compression. If that's not working then the problem is probably in libtiff. Or are you saying you can't select LZW in the plug-in dialog?

AFAIK the patent is still valid in some countries but I guess you should ask the Debian maintainer for his reasons.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-05-11 16:21:37 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

tiff and lzw compression

Hi,

"Joao S. O. Bueno" writes:

Anyway, you can either - install the TIFF and GIOF plug-ins from the "non free" or "non us" repository (I am not a debian man), build the Gimp yourself from the sources in gimp.org, or contact your favorite debian gimp packager.

gimp-nonfree only has the GIF plug-in. As far as I know the TIFF plug-in that comes with Debian is fully functional.

Sven

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2004-05-11 16:25:44 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

tiff and lzw compression

On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 11:14:38AM -0300, "Joao S. O. Bueno" wrote:

only from de debian build.

(some others, too, what you meant was "not from the original sources").

they say it hasn't expired in certains countries (not USA) yet. Anyway, you can either - install the TIFF and GIOF plug-ins from the "non free" or "non us" repository (I am not a debian man), build the Gimp yourself from the sources in gimp.org, or contact your favorite debian gimp packager.

The only package that might help is gimp-nonfree, but it only contains the gif-plug-in. The tiff plug-in is part of the standard gimp package.

If it doesn't do lzw while the original gimp does lzw then you should report it as a bug against the gimp package (apt-get install reportbug; reportbug gimp) and explain why a lzw-enabled plug-in should become part of gimp-nonfree.

Norbert Preining
2004-05-11 16:27:28 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

tiff and lzw compression

On Die, 11 Mai 2004, Sven Neumann wrote:

The GIMP code asks libtiff to use LZW compression. If that's not

Ah, I thought about this already and checked the bug database.

working then the problem is probably in libtiff. Or are you saying you can't select LZW in the plug-in dialog?

I CAN select the lzw compression, but when writing I get an error: Error writing scan line 0
and another window:
LZW compression is disabled due tio Unisys patents.

Ok, I will apt-get source libtiff3g and check the code ... Thanks.

Best wishes

Norbert

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Norbert Preining Technische Universität Wien gpg DSA: 0x09C5B094 fp: 14DF 2E6C 0307 BE6D AD76 A9C0 D2BF 4AA3 09C5 B094 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- BERKHAMSTED
The massive three-course midmorning blow-out enjoyed by a dieter who has already done his or her slimming duty by having a teaspoonful of cottage cheese for breakfast.
--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff