RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Incoming Msg

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Incoming Msg Kevin Myers 08 May 10:20
Incoming Msg Kevin Myers 08 May 10:31
  Incoming Msg Nonexistent Entity 08 May 12:20
gzqyshdiypgozawpssj@lists.x... 07 Oct 20:16
  Incoming Msg Nonexistent Entity 08 May 10:00
Nonexistent Entity
2004-05-08 10:00:00 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Incoming Msg

Hi,

It's been 3 times that your account "KevinMyers "
sent viruses in ( .scr and .cpl ) attachment files to Gimp-user group
could you please check your computer if it's infected.

It concerns me because for some reason I don't get mail sent from you filtered along the way and viruses sent from your account
stand for half the traffic from the group.

Thank you in advance.

Kevin Myers
2004-05-08 10:20:47 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Incoming Msg

I'm afraid that you are inadequately informed. Just as with many other users of public lists and newgroups, if you are receiving virus emails with my address, it is because my address is in another user's address book whose machine has been infected with a virus, and is sending out emails with spoofed source addresses, including mine.

I do realize that you have good intentions, and appreciate the polite tone of your note. However, my computers are *NOT* infected, and I'd appreciate it if you would do a little more research regarding these viruses and how they work before spreading such false rumors to a public list. If you had done more homework, you would have found that these viruses *never* send out email using the *actual* address of the host machine they are running on. Instead, they always use spoofed addresses from the host machine's address book, who in this case is probably another reader of the gimp-user list.

Furthermore, if you look at the email headers on the messages that you are refering to, you will probably find that they do not come from an IP address on my ISP's domain. If you want to track the source of these emails down, then you might try contacting the ISP for the originating IP address. However, since the source IP address can also be easily spoofed, that may also be a wild goose chase.

s/KAM

----- Original Message ---

Kevin Myers
2004-05-08 10:31:46 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Incoming Msg

Furthermore, I am also a subscriber to the gimp-user list, and have *NOT* received any of the messages that you refer to. That says to me that the messages which you refer to have probably *not* actually come to you via the gimp-user list.

One last thing: The machines that I am presently using are not connected to the internet via my Austin Road Runner account, which means that they are incapable of sending messages with the email address that you referenced.

s/KAM

----- Original Message ---

Nonexistent Entity
2004-05-08 12:20:14 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Incoming Msg

"Kevin Myers" , wrote:

> However, my computers are *NOT* infected, and I'd > appreciate it if you would do a little more research regarding these viruses and how
> they work before spreading such false rumors to a public list.

I'm sorry for posting my original message then. Still, I never dealt with viruses directly and don't want to try them to learn
how they work :). I don't use any software that is known to be easily exploited
by viruses ( MSIE. OE, etc. ), but many people do - this was the reason for writing the original message.
It was also sent ~week later (I was not online) than I received the last virus
that used your address and the subject "RE: Incoming Msg". And I was not the only one who received these viruses (or a ISP virus filter message )
on Gimp User group.
Still, I have 28.8kb/s connection and no ISP virus filter or other way to prevent
mail with viruses from consuming my bandwidth, so receiving a couple from the same address (for the first time in my internet experience) was annoying .

My appologies.