RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Calculate area and diameter

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Calculate area and diameter Dutch-User 22 Jan 19:10
  Calculate area and diameter Stefan Maerz 22 Jan 20:59
   Calculate area and diameter Steve Kinney 22 Jan 22:32
    Calculate area and diameter Stefan Maerz 22 Jan 22:47
  Calculate area and diameter Alexander V. Kalachev 22 Jan 21:05
2012-01-22 19:10:21 UTC (about 12 years ago)
postings

Hi everyone. In my collection of pictures, I found GIMP useful and easy to measure the diameter of a near-round coloured object. However, since the objects are not exactly round, I have to measure a few times and than guess for the average diameter. Now I've seen there's a way to select these objects by the colour they have. Does anybody know if there's an easy way to have GIMP tell me the overall area of the object, and the mean diameter?

Thanks!

Stefan Maerz
2012-01-22 20:59:58 UTC (about 12 years ago)

On 01/22/2012 01:10 PM, Dutch-User wrote:

Hi everyone. In my collection of pictures, I found GIMP useful and easy to measure the diameter of a near-round coloured object. However, since the objects are not exactly round, I have to measure a few times and than guess for the average diameter. Now I've seen there's a way to select these objects by the colour they have. Does anybody know if there's an easy way to have GIMP tell me the overall area of the object, and the mean diameter?

Thanks!

A while ago I calculated area by creating a transparent layer and painting with a brush the locations that I wanted to include in the area. Then using GIMP's histogram (color>Info>histogram), I got a pixel count for that new layer. (Side note, make sure you have the right layer selected in the layers dialog)

Then I used a proportion ( Pixels:Inches ) that I got from a scale in the image to calculated area.

There might be a easier way to calculate area since you have simple shapes, but this worked perfectly for me, because my shapes were highly irregular and needed human interaction to determine what should be measured and what shouldn't be.

HTH, -Stefan Maerz

Alexander V. Kalachev
2012-01-22 21:05:37 UTC (about 12 years ago)

Hi,

may be it is better to you to use ImageJ for this work (http://rsbweb.nih.gov/ij/).

Best, Alexander

Sun, 22 Jan 2012 20:10:21 +0100 Dutch-User

Thanks!

-- Dutch-User (via gimpusers.com)
_______________________________________________ gimp-user-list mailing list
gimp-user-list@gnome.org
http://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list

Steve Kinney
2012-01-22 22:32:33 UTC (about 12 years ago)

On 01/22/2012 03:59 PM, Stefan Maerz wrote:

A while ago I calculated area by creating a transparent layer and painting with a brush the locations that I wanted to include in the area. Then using GIMP's histogram (color>Info>histogram), I got a pixel count for that new layer. (Side note, make sure you have the right layer selected in the layers dialog)

Then I used a proportion ( Pixels:Inches ) that I got from a scale in the image to calculated area.

WOW, I thought I knew some clever tricks but this one wins the prize! In the case at hand, Select By Color with suitable threshold adjustments in the Tool Options tab, followed by Colors > Info > Histogram should do the trick. I just checked and if there is a selection, the Histogram tool only looks at that.

:o)

Steve

Stefan Maerz
2012-01-22 22:47:27 UTC (about 12 years ago)

On 01/22/2012 04:32 PM, Steve Kinney wrote:

On 01/22/2012 03:59 PM, Stefan Maerz wrote:

WOW, I thought I knew some clever tricks but this one wins the prize! In the case at hand, Select By Color with suitable threshold adjustments in the Tool Options tab, followed by Colors> Info> Histogram should do the trick. I just checked and if there is a selection, the Histogram tool only looks at that.

That is even simpler than my suggestion. In my case it wouldn't have worked because the colors did not contrast.

An (perhaps simpler) alternative would be to use the "Ellipse Select Tool" in the Toolbox to get a selection.

-Stefan Maerz