RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Rene from Sydney's brilliant Gimp for HP install solution

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Rene from Sydney's brilliant Gimp for HP install solution NoviceGimper 22 Jan 12:23
  Rene from Sydney's brilliant Gimp for HP install solution Michael Schumacher 22 Jan 12:46
   Rene from Sydney's brilliant Gimp for HP install solution NoviceGimper 22 Jan 13:01
2012-01-22 12:23:58 UTC (about 12 years ago)
postings

This post is for HP users who are struggling to get GIMP to install correctly. All credit for this goes to Rene from Sydney (on this forum) who gave me step-by-step instructions on how to to get the installation problems sorted out for HP computers. (Eternal thanks to you!!!!)I am reposting the instructions here for other HP users who are having the same installation problems - maybe we could have these instructions in the FAQ of the GIMP website. I dont know about anyone else but just renaming the file didnt work for me - however this worked like a magic trick. Again - this solution must be credited to Rene.

Here Goes:

1. Deinstall GIMP 2.6 (If you tried to install and got the entry point error) 2. Open computer/C-drive/Windows/System 32 and search for intl.dll 3. Rename the intl.dll file to intl.bak 4. Close the "System32" window
5. Download and install GIMP 2.6 - when it has installed you might get the same entry point error message again - exit through all the entry point windows until it launches the "incomplete" programme (this means when the programme can open a blank canvas, but cant do much else because of all the missing .exe. 6. Close GIMP
7. Open computer/Local Disk C/Program Files (or whereever your pc saves your programmes to) 8. Search for GIMP-2.0 and open. Open bin. Search for intl.dll and copy the file 9. Paste the "intl.dll" file into GIMP-2.0/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins and close window. 10. Go back into computer/local Disk C/Windows/System 32 and search for intl.bak 11. select and rename intl.bak into intl.dll.

If the system does not allow you to rename the intl.bak file because it is "open". Shut down and restart your pc and then try again from step 10 (this is what happened to me but restarting Windows allowed me to change the file name back to intl.dll

So far I havent noticed or encountered any other problems with GIMP by copying and depositing the intl.dll file from its bin to it's plug-ins. Its starts up perfectly and as far as I have managed to test - all the functions seem to be working.

I hope this helps this HP users who are as naive as me when it comes to fiddling with computers and are struggling for step-by=step instructions.

Michael Schumacher
2012-01-22 12:46:27 UTC (about 12 years ago)

On 22.01.2012 13:23, NoviceGimper wrote:

This post is for HP users who are struggling to get GIMP to install correctly. All credit for this goes to Rene from Sydney (on this forum) who gave me step-by-step instructions on how to to get the installation problems sorted out for HP computers. (Eternal thanks to you!!!!)I am reposting the instructions here for other HP users who are having the same installation problems - maybe we could have these instructions in the FAQ of the GIMP website. I dont know about anyone else but just renaming the file didnt work for me - however this worked like a magic trick. Again - this solution must be credited to Rene.

Here Goes:

1. Deinstall GIMP 2.6 (If you tried to install and got the entry point error)

Why?

2. Open computer/C-drive/Windows/System 32 and search for intl.dll 3. Rename the intl.dll file to intl.bak 4. Close the "System32" window

These are the steps that get GIMP plug-ins running in this scenario.

5. Download and install GIMP 2.6 - when it has installed you might get the same entry point error message again - exit through all the entry point windows until it launches the "incomplete" programme (this means when the programme can open a blank canvas, but cant do much else because of all the missing .exe.

Why download and install GIMP again?

6. Close GIMP

That should be step 0.

7. Open computer/Local Disk C/Program Files (or whereever your pc saves your programmes to) 8. Search for GIMP-2.0 and open. Open bin. Search for intl.dll and copy the file 9. Paste the "intl.dll" file into GIMP-2.0/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins and close window.

You won't need steps 2-4 and 10-11 then.

But you'll have the same problem again if GIMP ships with a newer version of libintl.

10. Go back into computer/local Disk C/Windows/System 32 and search for intl.bak 11. select and rename intl.bak into intl.dll.

12. Ask HP when they will fix that from their side.

Regards, Michael

2012-01-22 13:01:21 UTC (about 12 years ago)
postings

Hi Michael - I understand what you are saying but it only worked for me when I did it this way - I tried the surgery on the original version that I downloaded but couldnt get it to work. Maybe there was something corrupt with that version.....the second download seemed to work better. But if you can get it to work without all the "superfluos" steps then cool. Having said that - I still am grateful to Rene for answering my question and providing a detailed solution when it was asked....

On 22.01.2012 13:23, NoviceGimper wrote:

Here Goes:

1. Deinstall GIMP 2.6 (If you tried to install and got the entry point error)

Why?

2. Open computer/C-drive/Windows/System 32 and search for intl.dll 3. Rename the intl.dll file to intl.bak 4. Close the "System32" window

These are the steps that get GIMP plug-ins running in this scenario.

5. Download and install GIMP 2.6 - when it has installed you might get the same entry point error message again - exit through all the entry point windows until it launches the "incomplete" programme (this means when the programme can open a blank canvas, but cant do much else because of all the missing .exe.

Why download and install GIMP again?

6. Close GIMP

That should be step 0.

7. Open computer/Local Disk C/Program Files (or whereever your pc saves your programmes to) 8. Search for GIMP-2.0 and open. Open bin. Search for intl.dll and copy the file 9. Paste the "intl.dll" file into GIMP-2.0/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins and close window.

You won't need steps 2-4 and 10-11 then.

But you'll have the same problem again if GIMP ships with a newer version of libintl.

10. Go back into computer/local Disk C/Windows/System 32 and search for intl.bak 11. select and rename intl.bak into intl.dll.

12. Ask HP when they will fix that from their side.

Regards,
Michael