RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP compilation meltdown; xachs rpms

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

More GIMP compilation questions Barton Bosch 04 May 01:52
  More GIMP compilation questions Owen 06 May 00:23
   More GIMP compilation questions and some answers Barton Bosch 07 May 07:40
    More GIMP compilation questions and some answers Sven Neumann 07 May 11:29
     GIMP compilation meltdown; xachs rpms Barton Bosch 09 May 00:33
Barton Bosch
2004-05-04 01:52:52 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

More GIMP compilation questions

Thanks to the link to the Red Hat 9.0 RPMs (kudos to xach) I've gotten my system updated far enough to attempt to compile gimp 2.0.1 from source. I've compiled and installed many of the optional packages as well.

I am running into a couple of warning messages though, re: gtkhtml2 and the html help browser, laa/aa_printf, and llcms and the color proof module. FYI, for the time being I am configuring with the --disable-print option. Here is the relevant ./configure output:

checking for aa_printf in -laa... no configure: WARNING: *** AA plug-in will not be built (AA library not found) ***
checking for libgtkhtml-2.0 >= 2.0.0... Package libgtkhtml-2.0 was not found in
the pkg-config search path.
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgtkhtml-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable configure: WARNING: *** Help browser plug-in will not be built (GtkHtml2 not found) ***
checking for cmsCreate_sRGBProfile in -llcms... no configure: WARNING: *** color proof module will not be built (lcms not found or
unuseable) ***

I've checked my repositories for unistalled packages and their devel couterparts, done a good bit of googling for further packages/tar balls to download and install but no joy.

Anyone have a solution?

Thanks,

Barton

Owen
2004-05-06 00:23:01 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

More GIMP compilation questions

On Mon, 03 May 2004 16:52:52 -0700 Barton Bosch wrote:

checking for aa_printf in -laa... no configure: WARNING: *** AA plug-in will not be built (AA library not found) ***
Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libgtkhtml-2.0.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable configure: WARNING: *** Help browser plug-in will not be built (GtkHtml2 not found) ***
checking for cmsCreate_sRGBProfile in -llcms... no configure: WARNING: *** color proof module will not be built (lcms not found or
unuseable) ***

I wouldn't worry too much about all those.

The ascii art plug in is not really essential, more of a toy in my view.

libgtkhtml is for the help, but there's not much in the way of help at the moment, so you don't need it. If you want the help, you need to get it from CVS and build it from there.

lcms, you sure you haven't got it? Anyway, it too is not really necessary for Gimp operation, but is useful for color proofing type work.

Barton Bosch
2004-05-07 07:40:03 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

More GIMP compilation questions and some answers

Owen wrote:

On Mon, 03 May 2004 16:52:52 -0700 Barton Bosch wrote:

unuseable) ***

I wouldn't worry too much about all those.

I figured as much, but with such a long compile I thought I would try to get all of the wrinkles ironed out before I tried making gimp2.0.1.

gtkthml2 was installed on my system, it was just lacking the headers from the devel package. I did run a check (actually double checked with the filter on my local repository) and i could have sworn gtkhtml was not installed... So the help browser situation was resolved with a simple rpm -Uvh. I thought that someone on the list might know what lcms and laa were off the top of their heads but in the meantime I did eventually manage to track these packages down.

The ascii art plug in is not really essential, more of a toy in my view.

A red hat 9 (shrike) rpm for laa can be found in on freshrpms (http://shrike.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1184).

libgtkhtml is for the help, but there's not much in the way of help at the moment, so you don't need it. If you want the help, you need to get it from CVS and build it from there.

gtkhtml and gtkhtml2 are standard red hat rpms (I just looked through them somehow ).

lcms, you sure you haven't got it? Anyway, it too is not really necessary for Gimp operation, but is useful for color proofing type work.

lcms is not a standard red hat package as far as I can tell, and I wasn't able to find an rpm at all. The compile was more or less painless though. The source can be found at: http://www.littlecms.com/downloads.htm.

Combined with the rpms for updating rh9 for compiling gimp2.0.x from source (found at http://xach.com/gimp/rpms/), the gimp-print rpms for rh9 (at:
http://xoomer.virgilio.it/wvtberti/linux/stp_driver/gs_stp.htm), the gimp-gap source (which requires wavplay for audio playback to function -- this was a little tough to find as search engines turned up many random listings for obsolete versions, though I got the source for 1.4 from:
http://adnc.linux.tucows.com/preview/47649.html), and a bunch of the optional packages (libexif, libwmf, libsrvg, the gimp-documentation, etc.); I did get the gimp compiled and configured. It even looks operational now, though I haven't had time to test it much yet . From what I have done the UI seems better, maybe a little smoother. GIMP also feels a little faster though that could be totally subjective. All in all, so far so good -- a bigup to all the developers and contributors for this fine free software.

I do have another question, re: the Perl plugin though. When trying to compile it it says that it can't find gimp when it tries to run the test program:

checking for GIMP - version >= 2.0.0... no *** Could not run GIMP test program, checking why... *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means *** that the run-time linker is not finding GIMP or finding the wrong
*** version of GIMP. If it is not finding GIMP, you'll need to set your
*** LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable, or edit /etc/ld.so.conf to point
*** to the installed location Also, make sure you have run ldconfig if that
*** is required on your system
*** If you have an old version installed, it is best to remove it, although
*** you may also be able to get things to work by modifying LD_LIBRARY_PATH
configure: error: ** unable to find gimp, make sure it's in your path (version 1.3.15+ required!)

I tried putting the location of the gimp binary into ld.so.conf and the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable, but no joy. What is the story here? Was I supposed to put the location of a library in the path variable? Something else entirely? Anyone have any solutions?

There was also a small problem with the gimp swap file location. When I configured gimp on the first run I tried moving the swap file to /tmp as suggested but there was a problem (probably permissions) and gimp couldn't open it. In the Preferences->Folders menu there is a dialog box for changing the location of the swap file. I changed it to various locations, but each time I restarted the gimp it reverted to the location set during the original configuration. Changing it through the preferences menu wasn't possible. Eventually it was fixed by editing .gimp/gimprc the old fashioned way.

Ciao,

Barton

Sven Neumann
2004-05-07 11:29:19 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

More GIMP compilation questions and some answers

Hi,

Barton Bosch writes:

I do have another question, re: the Perl plugin though. When trying to compile it it says that it can't find gimp when it tries to run the test program:

checking for GIMP - version >= 2.0.0... no *** Could not run GIMP test program, checking why... *** The test program compiled, but did not run. This usually means *** that the run-time linker is not finding GIMP or finding the wrong
configure: error: ** unable to find gimp, make sure it's in your path (version 1.3.15+ required!)

I tried putting the location of the gimp binary into ld.so.conf and the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable, but no joy. What is the story here? Was I supposed to put the location of a library in the path variable? Something else entirely? Anyone have any solutions?

Please read up on ld (man ld). You will need to configure the location of the gimp libraries, not the executable.

Sven

Barton Bosch
2004-05-09 00:33:36 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

GIMP compilation meltdown; xachs rpms

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Barton Bosch writes:

Please read up on ld (man ld). You will need to configure the location of the gimp libraries, not the executable.

Ok, thanks for the pointer to the documentation. The warning message in the configure log was a little opaque for my (lack of) softare compiling skills.

Unfortunately, I guess I spoke too soon about the successful gimp2.0.1 install. The next day my whole system melted down and stopped functioning. I did a hardware reset and it crashed completely before it got past the x login screen.

I did a complete reinstall of the root partition and tried to figure out if it was some mistake I made in compiling the various libraries and plugins or if it was one of the RPMs that I used.

BTW, I am not running a vanilla rh 9.0 installtion here, but the Planet CCRMA digital audio sub-distro w/ low latency kernel, etc. The CCRMA install and configure followed the basic shrike install, updates with the rh and ccrma rpms -- everything running smoothly to this point.

Then I installaed xach's update rpms. I noticed a couple of glitches in gnome, though it was basically functioning. In an attempt to isolate the problem I decided to reboot before adding any other software . The system crashed before it could shutdown cleanly so the trouble msut be some conflict between xach's rpms and either the CCRMA modifications or the basic Shrike installation.

When I have more time (three reinstalls in 2 days, ugh) I will free up some room on the HDD and make a separate partition for a vanilla rh 9.0 installation and try to upgrade that with xachs's RPMs and then compile gimp2.0.1. For now I guess I am back to using gimp1.2.3.

Ciao,

Barton