RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Basic GIMP compilation question

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Basic GIMP compilation question Barton Bosch 03 May 17:59
  Basic GIMP compilation question Sven Neumann 03 May 20:20
   Basic GIMP compilation question Barton Bosch 03 May 21:02
    Basic GIMP compilation question Henrik Brix Andersen 08 May 11:35
     Basic GIMP compilation question Sven Neumann 10 May 13:15
      Basic GIMP compilation question Henrik Brix Andersen 10 May 15:30
  Basic GIMP compilation question Dave Neary 04 May 08:50
Barton Bosch
2004-05-03 17:59:10 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

I am running a Red Hat 9.0 system that currently has GIMP 1.2.3 installed on it. I'd like to check out 2.0 and have been trying to figure out how to get it together. I haven't compiled much large, involved software yet so I am running into some fundamental questions.

First it looks like I need to update my GTK+ (2.2.1-4 installed). After I grabbed the newest GTK, GLib, Pango and ATK tar balls as well as GIMP 2.0.1, I realized that I don't know the procedure for updating an RPM with a program from source code. Do I compile and install the source right over the installed package? Do I need to remove the package first? Won't this wreak havoc with regard to dependencies, etc?

Secondly, in the GIMP ftp directory I saw a patch for 2.0.1. What is this patch for and do I need it?

Third my system lists a GLib2 2.2.1 package. Am I correct in assuming that this is the GLib referred to on the GIMP installation help page (as opposed to the glib 1.2.10-1 that is also installed on my system)? Is this sufficiently new so as not to need updating for GIMP 2.0.1?

TIA,

Barton

Sven Neumann
2004-05-03 20:20:19 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Barton Bosch writes:

I am running a Red Hat 9.0 system that currently has GIMP 1.2.3 installed on it. I'd like to check out 2.0 and have been trying to figure out how to get it together. I haven't compiled much large, involved software yet so I am running into some fundamental questions.

I strongly suggest you don't compile GIMP from source then but use a precompiled binary. http://xach.com/ has RPMs for RedHat 9.0. Unfortunately not 2.0.1 yet but you could at least install all the dependencies from there and compile only GIMP. That will save you some major troubles. Getting all the dependencies compiled from source requires a good deal of experience building software from source.

Secondly, in the GIMP ftp directory I saw a patch for 2.0.1. What is this patch for and do I need it?

It's the patch to update gimp-2.0.0 to gimp-2.0.1. Useful for people who downloaded gimp-2.0.0 earlier.

Sven

Barton Bosch
2004-05-03 21:02:17 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Barton Bosch writes:

I strongly suggest you don't compile GIMP from source then but use a precompiled binary. http://xach.com/ has RPMs for RedHat 9.0. Unfortunately not 2.0.1 yet but you could at least install all the dependencies from there and compile only GIMP. That will save you some major troubles. Getting all the dependencies compiled from source requires a good deal of experience building software from source.

Thanks for the quick response and the link to the RPMs. Those should be very helpful. Did I miss this on gimp.org somehow?

>

It's the patch to update gimp-2.0.0 to gimp-2.0.1. Useful for people who downloaded gimp-2.0.0 earlier.

Oh, ok, good to know.

Barton

Dave Neary
2004-05-04 08:50:44 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi Barton,

Barton Bosch wrote:

First it looks like I need to update my GTK+ (2.2.1-4 installed). After I grabbed the newest GTK, GLib, Pango and ATK tar balls as well as GIMP 2.0.1, I realized that I don't know the procedure for updating an RPM with a program from source code.

Being honest, if you really want to build from source code, you're better off building from RedHat 9 SRPMs using rpmbuild. There are srpms for everything you need on http://xach.com/gimp/rpms/

> Third my system lists a GLib2 2.2.1 package. Am I correct in assuming > that this is the GLib referred to on the GIMP installation help page (as > opposed to the glib 1.2.10-1 that is also installed on my system)? Is > this sufficiently new so as not to need updating for GIMP 2.0.1?

That's the one you need, although 2.2.1 might be missing some fixes we rely on. You do need gtk+ >= 2.2.2 though, and we reccommend >= 2.2.4 since there are a number of important bug fixes in there. Both of those should build OK against glib 2.2.1, though.

Cheers,
Dave.

Henrik Brix Andersen
2004-05-08 11:35:18 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 21:02, Barton Bosch wrote:

Thanks for the quick response and the link to the RPMs. Those should be very helpful. Did I miss this on gimp.org somehow?

No, the link was not there until now - I just added it to CVS so the web site should update shortly.

Regards, Brix

Sven Neumann
2004-05-10 13:15:59 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Henrik Brix Andersen writes:

No, the link was not there until now - I just added it to CVS so the web site should update shortly.

Can you please remove them again? Xach asked us not to put the links on the website and we should respect his choice.

Sven

Henrik Brix Andersen
2004-05-10 15:30:35 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

On Mon, 2004-05-10 at 13:15, Sven Neumann wrote:

Can you please remove them again? Xach asked us not to put the links on the website and we should respect his choice.

Ooops! My apologies - I was not aware of that. I have removed the link again.

Regards,
Brix