RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

dynamic text & glow, what happened to them?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 12 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

dynamic text & glow, what happened to them? Linux GIMP 27 Apr 10:57
  dynamic text & glow, what happened to them? Carol Spears 28 Apr 01:50
  dynamic text & glow, what happened to them? Sven Neumann 30 Apr 02:50
dynamic text & glow, what happened to them? William Skaggs 28 Apr 22:07
  dynamic text & glow, what happened to them? Linux GIMP 30 Apr 00:07
   dynamic text & glow, what happened to them? Owen 30 Apr 00:53
   dynamic text & glow, what happened to them? Sven Neumann 30 Apr 03:25
20040429223619.GA1725@brogg... 07 Oct 20:16
  dynamic text & glow, what happened to them? Linux GIMP 30 Apr 18:08
   dynamic text & glow, what happened to them? Sven Neumann 30 Apr 20:36
   dynamic text & glow, what happened to them? David Neary 30 Apr 21:01
    dynamic text & glow, what happened to them? Linux GIMP 01 May 05:57
Linux GIMP
2004-04-27 10:57:42 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi everyone. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but...

I have been using GIMP 2.0 for a while now with my Gentoo box (in case that factors in) and I'm wondering what happened to the dynamic text and glow filters? I used the bejezus out of those things now they seem to be gone. I have looked about, thinking maybe they moved, but no such luck. What is the story?

Thanks much Adrian

Carol Spears
2004-04-28 01:50:55 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Tue, Apr 27, 2004 at 02:57:42AM -0600, Linux GIMP wrote:

Hi everyone. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but...

I have been using GIMP 2.0 for a while now with my Gentoo box (in case that factors in) and I'm wondering what happened to the dynamic text and glow filters? I used the bejezus out of those things now they seem to be gone. I have looked about, thinking maybe they moved, but no such luck. What is the story?

about dynamic text. if it was included in the gimp source ever it was only for a little while. as far as i know the plug-in has not been updated.

there are two suggestions. I dont know if you have double clicked on the texttool button yet to see the tooloptions available there -- that should help some.

the other text option is the freetype plug-in located at http://freetype.gimp.org.

guash was written by the same author and it doesnt yet seem available for gimp2 either.

carol

William Skaggs
2004-04-28 22:07:27 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Dynamic text is no longer needed, because the things it did are now done by the regular text tool (and done a lot better, too!).

I don't know about the glow filter, but there are indeed some filters that have not yet been ported from Gimp 1.2 to Gimp 2.0.

Best, -- Bill

______________ ______________ ______________ ______________ Sent via the KillerWebMail system at primate.ucdavis.edu

Linux GIMP
2004-04-30 00:07:07 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 13:07:27 -0700 "William Skaggs" wrote the words:

Dynamic text is no longer needed, because the things it did are now done by the regular text tool (and done a lot better, too!).

I don't know about the glow filter, but there are indeed some filters that have not yet been ported from Gimp 1.2 to Gimp 2.0.

Best, -- Bill

Hmm, then maybe I'm missing it, but how do I change the font size using the text tool in 2.0? I found how to change the fonts & colour, but not font size. Also I would say that the text tool is not near as good when it comes to justifying text. It only does centered text unlike dynamic text which would do left, centered or right.

Thanks for your response Adrian

Owen
2004-04-30 00:53:04 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:07:07 -0600 Linux GIMP wrote:

Hmm, then maybe I'm missing it, but how do I change the font size using the text tool in 2.0? I found how to change the fonts & colour, but not font size. Also I would say that the text tool is not near as good when it comes to justifying text. It only does centered text unlike dynamic text which would do left, centered or right.

Thanks for your response Adrian

See http://www.pcug.org.au/~rcook/fontsizeselect.png for a picture of where the font size can be selected

Owen

Sven Neumann
2004-04-30 02:50:52 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Linux GIMP writes:

The new text tool replaces the GDynText plug-in and it even attempts to do a reasonable job at importing GIMP-1.2 GDynText layers.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2004-04-30 03:25:52 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Linux GIMP writes:

It's all in the text tool options and it does justification also.

Sven

Linux GIMP
2004-04-30 18:08:22 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 16:36:20 -0600 Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote the words:

On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 04:07:07PM -0600, Linux GIMP wrote:

Um, actually, it does all of that.

Double click on the text tool, or File->Dialogs->Tool Options

You can select colors, font sizes, fonts, justification, etc from there. If you have a text layer selected, you can modify its behaviour through this same dialog

Jeff

Well bloody hell.... Sure enough. I wasn't looking there. I guess I was expecting all the options to be in the pop up box as they were with dynamic text. My bad. Thanks to you and a few others for point out what I should have found on my own.

Feeling like an idiot now.... Adrian

P.S. but I still need that render glow filter. I hope someone adds that soon.....

Sven Neumann
2004-04-30 20:36:20 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Linux GIMP writes:

P.S. but I still need that render glow filter. I hope someone adds that soon.....

IIRC that's a gimp-perl filter, so you should probably install gimp-perl if you need it.

Sven

David Neary
2004-04-30 21:01:48 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Linux GIMP wrote:

IIRC, glowa(isn't it Alien Glow?) was a script-fu which basically did a layer copy, fill with glow color (keeping transparency), and a gaussian blur with radius 100 or so (not keeping transparency) on the big copy, auto-stretch contrast, then raise the original layer above the first...

Does this look more or less like that plug-in's results? That plug-in is in 2.0 in the same menu location (script-fu -> Alpha to Logo -> Alien Glow). If it's another plug-in, you have lost me :)

Ah - just started up 1.2.5 to check, and Filters->Render->Add Glow is indeed in there - it's a GIMP Perl script, and I assume, although I'm not sure, that it is still in 2.0. gimp-perl can be downloaded from CPAN or from ftp.gimp.org (in pub/gimp/plug-ins/v2.0/gimp-perl).

Cheers, Dave.

Linux GIMP
2004-05-01 05:57:16 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 21:01:48 +0200 David Neary wrote the words:

Linux GIMP wrote:

IIRC, glowa(isn't it Alien Glow?) was a script-fu which basically did a layer copy, fill with glow color (keeping transparency), and a gaussian blur with radius 100 or so (not keeping transparency) on the big copy, auto-stretch contrast, then raise the original layer above the first...

Does this look more or less like that plug-in's results? That plug-in is in 2.0 in the same menu location (script-fu -> Alpha to Logo -> Alien Glow). If it's another plug-in, you have lost me :)

Ah - just started up 1.2.5 to check, and Filters->Render->Add Glow is indeed in there - it's a GIMP Perl script, and I assume, although I'm not sure, that it is still in 2.0. gimp-perl can be downloaded from CPAN or from ftp.gimp.org (in pub/gimp/plug-ins/v2.0/gimp-perl).

Cheers, Dave.

Hmm.. so a question for any Gentoo users out there. How would one emerge gimp-perl? I tried the obvious, emerge -pv gimp-perl and there is no such thingy. Also tried emerge -S gimp, nothing about perl found. Any one know?

Thanks to all
Adrian