RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp handling OpenType fonts

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Some questions about Gimp. Nonexistent Entity 27 Apr 19:02
  Some questions about Gimp. Joao S. O. Bueno 27 Apr 19:28
   Some questions about Gimp. Nonexistent Entity 27 Apr 19:51
    Some questions about Gimp. Sven Neumann 30 Apr 02:49
     Some questions about Gimp. Dave Neary 30 Apr 09:01
      Some questions about Gimp. Sven Neumann 30 Apr 12:10
     Gimp handling OpenType fonts Nonexistent Entity 30 Apr 15:47
      Gimp handling OpenType fonts Sven Neumann 01 May 13:33
  Some questions about Gimp. GSR - FR 27 Apr 19:48
Nonexistent Entity
2004-04-27 19:02:00 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Some questions about Gimp.

Hi,

I'm using Gimp under Win32 and very satisfied with it ( its UI concept appeals to me very much unlike Win MDI, it has better painting speed & precision compared to other gfx apps, and it's not a bloat while having lots of options & plugins to play with ).

Here's some questions I have.

I do a lot of simple painting, and I miss the option to easily resize any brush to different sizes, I wonder if this function is going to be implemented.

Is there a way to get Adobe OpenType (.otf) fonts such as "Myriad Pro" family work in Gimp?

IMO the most appealing option Photoshop has is "Layer Styles" manipulations, Fireworks MX also introduced somewhat similar "Live Effects", is Gimp going in this direction?

Could you please explain how to customize keyboard shortcuts in Gimp-2 ( I want to zoom in with "=", like in Gimp 1.2.5, instead of "Shift"+"=" )

Thank you.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-04-27 19:28:40 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Nonexistent Entity escreveu:

Hi,

I'm using Gimp under Win32 and very satisfied with it ( its UI concept appeals to me very much unlike Win MDI, it has better painting speed & precision compared to other gfx apps, and it's not a bloat while having lots of options & plugins to play with ).

Here's some questions I have.

I do a lot of simple painting, and I miss the option to easily resize any brush to different sizes, I wonder if this function is going to be implemented.

Sorry. Talkings are slow about this...I'd like to see it too.

Is there a way to get Adobe OpenType (.otf) fonts such as "Myriad Pro" family work in Gimp?

No idea what these are. Is tehre any toiol for converting them to postscript or true type formats?

IMO the most appealing option Photoshop has is "Layer Styles" manipulations, Fireworks MX also introduced somewhat similar "Live Effects", is Gimp going in this direction?

Well, hre talks are no that slow - but not too fast. These are indeed in the mind of developers

Could you please explain how to customize keyboard shortcuts in Gimp-2 ( I want to zoom in with "=", like in Gimp 1.2.5, instead of "Shift"+"=" )

You have to enable the dinamic keyboard shortcuts in the ->preferences->interface dialog box.

These are a bit spoiled since pure shortcuts (lie "a", "g") will now conflict with the menu mnemonics, but nonetheless they work fine for shift+control combinations, and non alphabetical keys.

Regards, JS
->

Thank you.

GSR - FR
2004-04-27 19:48:22 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

a.x@ua.fm (2004-04-27 at 2002.00 +0300):

Check bugzilla, there are some wish-level reports about improving brush system.

That is a freetype work, check it, I think it supports them.

Again, reported as wish bug.

You have to enable it in preferences, in Interface section. Keep it on if you do it a lot (assign to different filters every day) or off if just to change some things a single time.

GSR

Nonexistent Entity
2004-04-27 19:51:36 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Thank you for the answers!

Adobe OpenType is a new font standard developed jointly with MS, that has Type1 extra features and quality and is replacing TrueType.

Sven Neumann
2004-04-30 02:49:21 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

"Nonexistent Entity" writes:

Adobe OpenType is a new font standard developed jointly with MS, that has Type1 extra features and quality and is replacing TrueType.

Pango supports OpenType rather well and GIMP uses Pango for font rendering so I wonder why it doesn't work for you.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-04-30 09:01:29 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

Pango supports OpenType rather well and GIMP uses Pango for font rendering so I wonder why it doesn't work for you.

Perhaps it's the fact that he's using the GIMP 1.2.5.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-04-30 12:10:22 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Perhaps it's the fact that he's using the GIMP 1.2.5.

Yes, that would explain it. GIMP 1.2 doesn't support OpenType fonts.

Sven

Nonexistent Entity
2004-04-30 15:47:47 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

On 30 Apr 2004 02:49:21 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

First, as it may be relevant, I use GIMP 1.2.5 and 2.0.1 on Win32 (XPProSP1).

I examined OpenType fonts present on my system and found that there are actually 2 kinds of fonts with OpenType signature:

1. "TrueType Outlines" - these are fonts supplied with WinXP (Arial,Tahoma, etc.)
with ".ttf" extension though claiming themselves OpenType in preview. GIMP and all its text plug-ins do not have any troubles manipulating these fonts.

2. "PostScript Outlines, Single Master" - manufactured by Adobe and supplied
in "Adobe Font Folio 9", they have ".otf" extension. These crashed or freezed GIMP 2.0.0 on loading (at startup) - so I removed "C:\Windows\fonts" from GTK fonts search path to be able to start GIMP. GIMP 1.2.5 and its Dynamic Text recognized ".otf" but couldn't scale them. FreeType at first didn't see these fonts (probably because of the extension)
but when I changed their extension from ".otf" to ".ttf" FreeType could see
them and manipulate perfectly.

The problems appeared probably because these fonts are not yet widely used,
so I can mail one of these to people intrested in fixing their support in Gimp.

Thanks.

Sven Neumann
2004-05-01 13:33:00 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

2. "PostScript Outlines, Single Master" - manufactured by Adobe and supplied in "Adobe Font Folio 9", they have ".otf" extension. These crashed or freezed GIMP 2.0.0 on loading (at startup) - so I removed "C:\Windows\fonts" from GTK fonts search path to be able to start GIMP.

This crash should be fixed if you use more current versions of FreeType, fontconfig and Pango.

Sven