RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Creating Photoshop FIRE image in Gimp?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mailman.247.1082859066.163.... 07 Oct 20:16
  Creating Photoshop FIRE image in Gimp? Benjamin Sher 25 Apr 04:28
   Creating Photoshop FIRE image in Gimp? Sven Neumann 25 Apr 12:11
   Creating Photoshop FIRE image in Gimp? GSR - FR 25 Apr 17:14
Benjamin Sher
2004-04-25 04:28:35 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Dear friends:

The Photoshop Techniques web site features the following spectacular FIRE image created by Greg Vander Houwen:

http://www.photoshoptechniques.com/main/defaulth.php

Please note the Photoshop and especially the MOV tutorial available on the page plus the detailed step-by-step instructions on this page (scroll down).

The big question: Can this image be created in Gimp 1.2? I use Xandros 2.0, which has not yet upgraded to Gimp 2.0. So, to create this image I would have to use Gimp 1.2. From what I can see, the Gimp seems to offer just about everything that the Photoshop instructions require, but I am not sure, especially the Liquify filter. I am still a newbie in Photoshop/Gimp but I would very much like to create this image in Gimp instead of Photoshop.

What do the Gimp experts say? Can it be done? Will the result be pretty much identical (or even better)?

Finally, I have been told by the Photoshop Techniques forum that the author, Greg, has permitted everyone copyright permission to use his tutorial to create this image (or any variants of it), and that any images thus created may also be used free of charge either for commercial or non-commercial purposes provided the user has recreated the image himself/herself.

All my thanks in advance.

Benjamin

Sven Neumann
2004-04-25 12:11:18 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

Hi,

Benjamin Sher writes:

The big question: Can this image be created in Gimp 1.2? I use Xandros 2.0, which has not yet upgraded to Gimp 2.0. So, to create this image I would have to use Gimp 1.2. From what I can see, the Gimp seems to offer just about everything that the Photoshop instructions require, but I am not sure, especially the Liquify filter. I am still a newbie in Photoshop/Gimp but I would very much like to create this image in Gimp instead of Photoshop.

See these links for a tutorial on doing a fire effect with GIMP:

http://www.jraleigh.com/gimpfiretutorial.html

Here's a script to generate an animated version:

http://vidar.gimp.org/gimp/

What do the Gimp experts say? Can it be done? Will the result be pretty much identical (or even better)?

Why don't you just try it?

Finally, I have been told by the Photoshop Techniques forum that the author, Greg, has permitted everyone copyright permission to use his tutorial to create this image (or any variants of it), and that any images thus created may also be used free of charge either for commercial or non-commercial purposes provided the user has recreated the image himself/herself.

I don't think that a tutorial author could try to claim any rights on images that are created based on the tutorial, so you won't need this permission anyway.

Sven

GSR - FR
2004-04-25 17:14:35 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

delphi123@zebra.net (2004-04-24 at 2128.35 -0500):

I guess you can, most techniques apply directly, minor changes to suggested numbers in worst case. Ooh, and were it says Liquidify, you have to read IWarp.

GSR