RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

IE deals with png transparency?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

IE deals with png transparency? Zhang Weiwu 09 Apr 05:17
  IE deals with png transparency? Michael Schumacher 09 Apr 11:19
Zhang Weiwu
2004-04-09 05:17:27 UTC (about 20 years ago)

For years I was told and tried and confirmed the alpha channel is not supported on IE with a simple .

Recently I decide to convert all my gif pictures to png. I used GIMP, and (as expected) I lose transparency on IE.

But later I tried another tool, the gif2png by Eric Raymond, surprisingly the created png still can display transparent area on IE (I'm not sure if it is transparent area or alpha channel, most likely just transparent area), although on some friends' IE the png is undisplayable at all, but most Windows computers display the transparency just fine. An example image is the logo on my homepage my homepage: http://aliweekly.nease.net/ the image: http://aliweekly.nease.net/images/headline.png

I don't know the reason, can anyone brief me?

Can we add an option to GIMP to let it create the png that is transparency-compatibile with IE?

Michael Schumacher
2004-04-09 11:19:03 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Zhang Weiwu wrote:

For years I was told and tried and confirmed the alpha channel is not supported on IE with a simple .

Recently I decide to convert all my gif pictures to png. I used GIMP, and (as expected) I lose transparency on IE.

But later I tried another tool, the gif2png by Eric Raymond, surprisingly the created png still can display transparent area on IE

I don't know the reason, can anyone brief me?

GIMP saves the PNG als a full RGBA image by default, IE can't handle this without hacks in the HTML file. gif2png converts to PNG without changing the mode (like ImageMagick or GraphicsMagick do, too).

Can we add an option to GIMP to let it create the png that is transparency-compatibile with IE?

The option is already there, you have to convert your image to indexed mode before saving.

HTH,
Michael