RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

gimp-2.0: Snap to guide changed?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

gimp-2.0: Snap to guide changed? Steve Crane 07 Apr 10:24
  gimp-2.0: Snap to guide changed? Carol Spears 07 Apr 23:23
Steve Crane
2004-04-07 10:24:55 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

I was using gimp-2.0 (on Windows) for the first time last night and noticed a difference in the snap to guide handling compared to gimp-1.2.5.

I often use guides to constrain rectangular selections and when the selection is across the full width or height of the image I will increase the size of the window so there is some space around the image. I will then click and start dragging in the space around the image, move into and right over the image and to the extent I want to select in the other dimension. The selection snaps to the guide and displays its marching ants outside the image, into the space around it. When the mouse button is released the selection shrinks so only the area within the image itself is selected.

When I did this in gimp-2.0 last night I discovered that the snap to guide now only works while the mouse pointer is actually over the image. As I start the drag (outside the image) there is no snapping to the guide. When the mouse pointer moves over the image, snapping occurs, but when the mouse pointer exits the other side of the image the snapping stops again. This means the one needs to work more precisely, and slowly, to ensure that the selection extends right up to the image without the mouse pointer actually exiting the image.

Is this perhaps something that is controlled by an option or is it a change in behaviour in gimp-2.0? If it is an intentional change in behaviour, is there perhaps another way to make such a selection without the need for the precision near the edges of the image?

Thanks.

Carol Spears
2004-04-07 23:23:50 UTC (almost 20 years ago)

On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 10:24:55AM +0200, Steve Crane wrote:

I was using gimp-2.0 (on Windows) for the first time last night and noticed a difference in the snap to guide handling compared to gimp-1.2.5.

I often use guides to constrain rectangular selections and when the selection is across the full width or height of the image I will increase the size of the window so there is some space around the image. I will then click and start dragging in the space around the image, move into and right over the image and to the extent I want to select in the other dimension. The selection snaps to the guide and displays its marching ants outside the image, into the space around it. When the mouse button is released the selection shrinks so only the area within the image itself is selected.

one of the big differences between gimp-1.2 and this new thing is the tool options dialog. i had this same problem a while ago. double click on either the rectangular or elliptical tools and you will see an "auto shrink selection" option that is the default behavior.

i suspect they put it there so we can still find some of the nice gimp-1.2 users out that did not complain much and just used it.

i hope i understood the problem alright ...

carol