RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Unable to run Gimp 2.0 on Windows XP due to error

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Unable to run Gimp 2.0 on Windows XP due to error Steve Crane 04 Apr 23:33
  Unable to run Gimp 2.0 on Windows XP due to error Sven Neumann 05 Apr 00:52
Steve Crane
2004-04-04 23:33:27 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

I have been trying to get Gimp 2.0 running on Windows XP and have encountered a problem that I'm not sure how to deal with. While the program is starting and the splash screen indicates that fonts are being loaded, the program crashes after displaying the following error in a console window.

(gimp-2.0.exe:3684): GLib-CRITICAL **: file gconvert.c: line 498 (g_convert): assertion `str != NULL' failed

The OS version is Windows XP Professional with service pack 1a. I installed Gimp from gimp-2.0.0-i586-setup.exe and GTK+ from gtk+-2.2.4-20040124-setup.exe.

I have tried to search the list archive but was prevented by an htdig error. Any advice on how to resolve this issue would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Sven Neumann
2004-04-05 00:52:46 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Steve Crane writes:

I have been trying to get Gimp 2.0 running on Windows XP and have encountered a problem that I'm not sure how to deal with. While the program is starting and the splash screen indicates that fonts are being loaded, the program crashes after displaying the following error in a console window.

(gimp-2.0.exe:3684): GLib-CRITICAL **: file gconvert.c: line 498 (g_convert): assertion `str != NULL' failed

See http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=132366

Please note that the bug-report is REOPENED only so that it is found when searching for it in Bugzilla. The problem is fixed, but it might take a while until the fix in freetype is released and widely available. There's a workaround in GIMP though that should catch the problem.

Sven