RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

specify png background color?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

specify png background color? Zhang Weiwu 03 Apr 09:57
  specify png background color? Tom Williams 03 Apr 10:32
   specify png background color? Jeffrey Brent McBeth 03 Apr 10:42
    specify png background color? Steve Stavropoulos 03 Apr 14:32
     specify png background color? Joao S. O. Bueno 05 Apr 05:38
Zhang Weiwu
2004-04-03 09:57:40 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hello. I have a png logo with alpha channel, it looks good on every browser excepte IE, which rander the alpha channel to a single color.

I wish to set the optional png background color to be #222, the background color of the webpage where the logo is. In this case even IE failed to rander alpha channel the picture is still displayed with a not-very-ugly background.

But how? Is it possible? (I am using GIMP pre-2.0)

Tom Williams
2004-04-03 10:32:25 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Zhang Weiwu wrote:

Hello. I have a png logo with alpha channel, it looks good on every browser excepte IE, which rander the alpha channel to a single color.

I wish to set the optional png background color to be #222, the background color of the webpage where the logo is. In this case even IE failed to rander alpha channel the picture is still displayed with a not-very-ugly background.

If this can't be done with Gimp, you can use TweakPNG:

http://entropymine.com/jason/tweakpng/

This is a Windows app that can be used to set PNG attributes, like the background color. This also runs under "wine" on Linux. :)

Peace...

Tom

Jeffrey Brent McBeth
2004-04-03 10:42:54 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 12:32:25AM -0800, Tom Williams wrote:

Zhang Weiwu wrote:

Erm, last I checked, you have your background color (in the color chooser) be what you want the PNGs background color to be, then when you save the PNG, you make sure "Save Background Color" is turned on.

Jeff

Steve Stavropoulos
2004-04-03 14:32:33 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:

Zhang Weiwu wrote:

Erm, last I checked, you have your background color (in the color chooser) be what you want the PNGs background color to be, then when you save the PNG, you make sure "Save Background Color" is turned on.

You don't have to turn on "Save Background Color", in fact I think it is best to turn it off. Either way, IE will show as background what your background color (in the color chooser) was when you saved your image.

Joao S. O. Bueno
2004-04-05 05:38:41 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Saturday 03 April 2004 09:32, Steve Stavropoulos wrote:

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004, Jeffrey Brent McBeth wrote:

Zhang Weiwu wrote:

You don't have to turn on "Save Background Color", in fact I think it is best to turn it off. Either way, IE will show as background what your background color (in the color chooser) was when you saved your image.

At least one difference the "save the background color" toggle does, is, when you uncheck "save colors from transparent pixels", all transparent pixels are reset to the background color if it is ON or to Black, if it is off.

I am posting it on this thread because it is an information that would be hard to find out by trial and error, and it is part of one of my few (rather few) code contribs. to the GIMP.