RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP 2.0 Kudos and Comments

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP 2.0 Kudos and Comments Sam Jones 02 Apr 18:50
  GIMP 2.0 Kudos and Comments Sven Neumann 02 Apr 20:04
  GIMP 2.0 Kudos and Comments David Neary 02 Apr 20:31
   Need/Emulate a "curved" perspective transform tool gds 05 Apr 11:29
    Need/Emulate a "curved" perspective transform tool Daniel Déchelotte 06 Apr 06:04
GIMP 2.0 Kudos and Comments wolfgang hofer 06 Apr 07:21
Sam Jones
2004-04-02 18:50:04 UTC (about 20 years ago)

t the start, I just wanted to say how much I liked GIMP 2.0. I love the new handling of text. I really like the docks. I find paths much easier to work with. I'm having lots of fun doing animations with GAP. It's a lot of nice work.

Here's some comments of mine:

1) There's a cost to download WinGIMP 2.0. Who gets this money? My initial assumption was that it was the GIMP foundation, and, if so, I've got no trouble making that donation. I just caught that it's available for free download at http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html

2) I really like the GIMP animation tools, but I've got a suggestion. Motion paths don't keep the layer mode (it's always Normal, never multiply, darken, lighten, etc. . .) Could they be changed so that they keep the layer mode? So, for instance, you could have a multiplied layer move across the frame to appear like a shadow.

3) Has anyone written a utility to do batch file conversions of files with animation suffixes? The only format that encodes to MPEG is ppm, but that doesn't keep layer information, which would be great to keep.

Thanks folks.

Sven Neumann
2004-04-02 20:04:01 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Sam Jones writes:

1) There's a cost to download WinGIMP 2.0. Who gets this money? My initial assumption was that it was the GIMP foundation, and, if so, I've got no trouble making that donation. I just caught that it's available for free download at
http://www2.arnes.si/~sopjsimo/gimp/stable.html

The GIMP foundation is in no way associated with WinGIMP or MacGIMP. Mathew Caughron gets the money for WinGIMP. He may or may not decide to give some of it back to the GIMP developers. Last year he helped us with a small donation and a couple of free CDs for the GIMP developers conference.

2) I really like the GIMP animation tools, but I've got a suggestion. Motion paths don't keep the layer mode (it's always Normal, never multiply, darken, lighten, etc. . .) Could they be changed so that they keep the layer mode? So, for instance, you could have a multiplied layer move across the frame to appear like a shadow.

I don't think that Wolfgang reads this mailing list. You should consider to mail your suggestions to hof@gimp.org or add a feature request in Bugzilla for the gimp-gap product.

Sven

David Neary
2004-04-02 20:31:38 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Sam Jones wrote:

Here's some comments of mine:

1) There's a cost to download WinGIMP 2.0.

Only if you download it through wingimp.com. That is a private business operation, and Mat has donated money to the project in the past. Given that Jernej provides a free installer now, I don't know what extras Mat offers with wingimp. The money does not go directly to The GIMP.

For the other two questions, I'm afraid I don't know the answer.

Cheers, Dave.

gds
2004-04-05 11:29:00 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Need/Emulate a "curved" perspective transform tool

Have a look at the curve bend filter (Image/Filters/Distort/Curve bend). I used it to produce the attached image which I think is what you want

Guillaume

I would like to create an "electrical switch" out of a given rectangle[1]. The perspective transform tool only allows a rectangle

to

be transformed into a quadrilateral, so I can get the following "approximations" ([2], [3] and [4]), but it would be nice in that case to be able to have the round shape that I have in mind (and that I

hope

you guessed :o). Any tricks to do that?

Daniel Déchelotte
2004-04-06 06:04:11 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Need/Emulate a "curved" perspective transform tool

"gds" a écrit :

| Have a look at the curve bend filter (Image/Filters/Distort/Curve | bend). I used it to produce the attached image which I think is what | you want

Yes. Thanks to you and to GSR: I think curve bend is the right tool for that. One question, though: why does it stretch the picture vertically? I can see it affects your picture, and mine as well.

To be more specific: I expected that... * on a rectangular selection of height H * sing a curve bend with parallel (identical) upper and lower curves * the resulting curved shape "should" have the same height H for all vertical section

Instead, this height is significantly greater than the original, meaning the selection has been stretched vertically.

To me, nothing in the dialog box or the name of the tool suggest this behaviour. Neither could I control this distortion, which I had to compensate manually by trial and error (this is gimp 1.2.3).

Cheers, -- Daniel

wolfgang hofer
2004-04-06 07:21:02 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi Sam.

Sam Jones writes:

The "Move Path" plug-in has an option-menu "Mode:" where you can already explicite select the layer paint mode for the handled source layer(s) when they are added to the destination animation frames. The default Mode is "normal".

I'll add an extra "Keep as it is" paintmode option to keep the original paintmode of the handled sourcelayer. This feature will be available in future releases of GIMP-GAP

3) Has anyone written a utility to do batch file conversions of files with animation suffixes? The only format that encodes to MPEG is ppm, but that doesn't keep layer information, which would be great to keep.

In GIMP-GAP-2.0 there is just very little support for encoding video. Both provided frontends are for old MPEG encoders, and those old encoders work with ppm.

For now it is best to create Animations using .XCF Frames and Convert them to .PPM with /Video/Frames Convert. You should delete the .PPM frames after video encoding, but keep the .XCF originals.

You may also convert to .JPG and use newer external encoder Programs. (ffmpeg for example).

One of the planed features for future GIMP-GAP releases (2.2 or later)
is direct video encoding on the fly with some integrated videoencoders (at least ffmpeg will be supported).

Thanks for your suggestions best regards Wolfgang Hofer