RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Adjustment-layers in GIMP?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Adjustment-layers in GIMP? Baard Ove Kopperud 02 Apr 01:03
  Adjustment-layers in GIMP? Tom Cole 02 Apr 11:21
Baard Ove Kopperud
2004-04-02 01:03:43 UTC (about 20 years ago)

I must shamefully admit that I have yet to try GIMP 2.0, so if adjustments-layers is part of it, then I appolegize for post.

+++

I've been using both PhotoShop and GIMP for some time, and one of the few things from PS I really *miss* in GIMP is the ability to make adjustment-layers -- i.e. layers that contains *only* adjustments (curves, levels, hue-sat., color balance) and not any picture... however, when you look at underlaying layers through it, they are as if you'd applied those adjustments to them. Adjustment-layers makes it very easy to test out the result of multiple adjustments, as you can make several adjustment-layers and turn one or more of the visible -- thus applying that/those adjustments to the picture.

I was therefor wondering if GIMP has such fuctionality -- either buildt-in or through plug-ins (and it's just me who haven't found it), if it's just been introduced (with 2.0), if it's something that's being worked on, or if it for some reason can't or won't be added... ever.

-Koppe

Tom Cole
2004-04-02 11:21:11 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Good point.

I was also wondering if and when we might get 'embedded layers' as well.

Tom

On Friday 02 Apr 2004 12:03 am, Baard Ove Kopperud wrote:

I must shamefully admit that I have yet to try GIMP 2.0, so if adjustments-layers is part of it, then I appolegize for post.

+++

I've been using both PhotoShop and GIMP for some time, and one of the few things from PS I really *miss* in GIMP is the ability to make adjustment-layers -- i.e. layers that contains *only* adjustments (curves, levels, hue-sat., color balance) and not any picture... however, when you look at underlaying layers through it, they are as if you'd applied those adjustments to them. Adjustment-layers makes it very easy to test out the result of multiple adjustments, as you can make several adjustment-layers and turn one or more of the visible -- thus applying that/those adjustments to the picture.

I was therefor wondering if GIMP has such fuctionality -- either buildt-in or through plug-ins (and it's just me who haven't found it), if it's just been introduced (with 2.0), if it's something that's being worked on, or if it for some reason can't or won't be added... ever.

-Koppe