RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Reply-to (was: Re: Import brushes from photoshop)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Import brushes from photoshop Khiraly 01 Apr 01:45
  Import brushes from photoshop Sven Neumann 01 Apr 13:59
87d66req6b.fsf@gimp.org 07 Oct 20:16
  Import brushes from photoshop Khiraly 01 Apr 17:01
   Reply-to (was: Re: Import brushes from photoshop) Dave Neary 01 Apr 18:17
    Reply-to (was: Re: Import brushes from photoshop) Alan Horkan 03 Apr 12:58
   Import brushes from photoshop Sven Neumann 01 Apr 19:25
Khiraly
2004-04-01 01:45:03 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Import brushes from photoshop

Hi!

I want to import some brushes from photoshop. What is the easiest way for to do this?
(I have painted the brush with black color on the default white. I have saved as png format, open with gimp, and tried to save as .gbr. But when I load as a brush it does not work similary as in photoshop. That mean is it blurry, and with the pencil tool is it completly black)

My opinion is, that the current set of brushes is not enough. And have certain brushes thats are funny, but unusable(apple for example). So we need some really good brushes to include with the future gimp releases. If I see correctly the current set of brushes are not touched since gimp1.2 ....

Other question: As I see at the current list, the highest priority is the colorspace and the better support for professional use; with that Im accept perfectly.
But for lower priority it would be good to import such photoshops and coreldraws feature. I mean (if it possible) do some ,,reverse engineer'' on photoshop's tools. I dont mean really RE, but apply the wanted tool on a specific image(ex: a black square on a white background), and see whats the result. Is it possible to do this? I have a ps7, so I can help with using photoshop(I use in winE).

Or is it a perfectly bad idea and gimp not need any new tool/feature?

Cheers, Khiraly

ps: sorry for my ugly english

Sven Neumann
2004-04-01 13:59:01 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Khiraly writes:

I want to import some brushes from photoshop. What is the easiest way for to do this?
(I have painted the brush with black color on the default white. I have saved as png format, open with gimp, and tried to save as .gbr. But when I load as a brush it does not work similary as in photoshop. That mean is it blurry, and with the pencil tool is it completly black)

Converting your brush images to grayscale and removing the alpha channel before you save as .gbr would probably help.

My opinion is, that the current set of brushes is not enough. And have certain brushes thats are funny, but unusable(apple for example). So we need some really good brushes to include with the future gimp releases. If I see correctly the current set of brushes are not touched since gimp1.2 ....

Yes, more and better brushes are certainly needed. Help with this effort would be very much appreciated. There are a few brush resources available online that might be interesting to look at. Please note that GIMP 2.0 also loads the brush files created for FilmGimp. See for example:

http://www.digitalmediadesigner.com/2003/01_jan/features/download130301172.htm

So perhaps you want to help us to improve the current set of brushes and other data files for GIMP 2.2?

Other question: As I see at the current list, the highest priority is the colorspace and the better support for professional use; with that Im accept perfectly. But for lower priority it would be good to import such photoshops and coreldraws feature. I mean (if it possible) do some ,,reverse engineer'' on photoshop's tools. I dont mean really RE, but apply the wanted tool on a specific image(ex: a black square on a white background), and see whats the result. Is it possible to do this? I have a ps7, so I can help with using photoshop(I use in winE).

Or is it a perfectly bad idea and gimp not need any new tool/feature?

GIMP can certainly need more tools and more features but it shouldn't be needed to reverse engineer proprietary software for that. There's a long list of enhancements that are completely understood and are only waiting for talented hackers to implement them. We are really not short on good ideas, we are short of time and developers to implement them.

Sven

Khiraly
2004-04-01 17:01:05 UTC (about 20 years ago)

2004-04-01, cs keltezéssel 16:19-kor Sven Neumann ezt írta:

Hi,

it would have probably been better to reply to the list...

Sorry but your reply-to field was wrong ...

GIMP is not Photoshop and it doesn't attempt to be produce exactly the same result. GIMP's paintbrush does subpixel positioning. This causes some small changes to the brush depending on where you place it. This explains the difference you see.

If somebody want to reproduce exactly the form what he is looking? So for example the ,,Pepper brush'' does not do some subpixeling.

And the same case for the ''Property of XCF'' and ''The GIMP'' brush. I suppose it was the same before converted to .gbr

But if this is the only way to reproduce similar brush as in ps, I will do so.

Cheers,
Khiraly

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-04-01 18:17:43 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi Khiraly,

Khiraly wrote:

2004-04-01, cs keltezéssel 16:19-kor Sven Neumann ezt írta:

There are very mixed views on the usage of reply-to for mailing list mail. Many people consider setting a reply-to impolite, since this can result in personal mail being sent to a public list. On the other hand, sending list mail to an individual is an easily correctible mistake.

On the other hand, some list servers re-write headers of mail setting the reply-to to the mailing list address, which means that typically all mail sent to list mailers goes to the list, which is the other extreme.

So it is inaccurate to say that the reply-to field was set "wrong", just that it wasn't set.

Cheers,
Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-04-01 19:25:09 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Khiraly writes:

GIMP is not Photoshop and it doesn't attempt to be produce exactly the same result. GIMP's paintbrush does subpixel positioning. This causes some small changes to the brush depending on where you place it. This explains the difference you see.

If somebody want to reproduce exactly the form what he is looking? So for example the ,,Pepper brush'' does not do some subpixeling.

It does, have a closer look. The suppixel positioning is not a property of the brush, it's a feature of the tools that use the brush. The image as found in the brush file is processed using a simple convolution kernel before it is applied to the canvas. The kernel being used depends on the position of the paint tool relative to the pixel grid.

Sven

Alan Horkan
2004-04-03 12:58:03 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004, Dave Neary wrote:

Subject: Reply-to (was: Re: [Gimp-user] Import brushes from photoshop)

There are very mixed views on the usage of reply-to for mailing list mail. Many people consider setting a reply-to impolite, since this can

Reply to considered harmful:
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

result in personal mail being sent to a public list. On the other hand, sending list mail to an individual is an easily correctible mistake.

- Alan H.