RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Future GIMP plans

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Future GIMP plans Alexander Rabtchevich 28 Mar 18:34
  Re  : Future GIMP plans Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 28 Mar 18:57
   Future GIMP plans peter kupec 05 Apr 14:20
    Future GIMP plans Patrick Shanahan 05 Apr 16:00
     Future GIMP plans Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 05 Apr 16:14
Alexander Rabtchevich
2004-03-28 18:34:09 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Future GIMP plans

I've read the discussion in GIMP-developers list on the plans for GIMP future versions and their timeframe.

So I can just add the impression from reading the discussion on the new 2.0 version in Russian Linux forum. The main problem of The GIMP 2.0 from the users POW is, it is more powerful than regular users need and still don't have features the professional needs. These features are: more than 8 bits per channel and color management.

So as for me I'd like to see RAW support (I mean without downsampling) and 16 bits per channel first of all :) .

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-28 18:57:50 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re  : Future GIMP plans

Le 28.03.2004 18:34, Alexander Rabtchevich a écrit :

I've read the discussion in GIMP-developers list on the plans for GIMP future versions and their timeframe.

So I can just add the impression from reading the discussion on the new 2.0 version in Russian Linux forum. The main problem of The GIMP 2.0 from the users POW is, it is more powerful than regular users need and still don't have features the professional needs. These features are: more than 8 bits per channel and color management.

So as for me I'd like to see RAW support (I mean without downsampling) and 16 bits per channel first of all :) .

If you speak of raw data from digital camera. There is dcraw. There is a plugin for it called rawphoto. As The Gimp can only manage 8 bits per channel, you willnot get more. But as dcraw is able of more (48 bits with the -4 option) it is bits ready !

-- - Jean-Luc

peter kupec
2004-04-05 14:20:00 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Future GIMP plans

Am Sonntag, 28. März 2004 18:57 schrieb Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh):

If you speak of raw data from digital camera. There is dcraw. There is a plugin for it called rawphoto. As The Gimp can only manage 8 bits per channel, you willnot get more. But as dcraw is able of more (48 bits with the -4 option) it is bits ready !

-- - Jean-Luc

I am interested in the 2 plug-ins mentioned above, but in the plug-in registry I could not find any; where should I look for?

Peter

Patrick Shanahan
2004-04-05 16:00:44 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Future GIMP plans

* peter kupec [04-05-04 07:24]:

I am interested in the 2 plug-ins mentioned above, but in the plug-in registry I could not find any; where should I look for?

It, rawphoto, must be installed and dcraw is not a plug-in. It is a stand-alone executable.

google.com/linux is your friend....

look at www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-04-05 16:14:17 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Future GIMP plans

Le 05.04.2004 16:00, Patrick Shanahan a écrit :

* peter kupec [04-05-04 07:24]:

If you speak of raw data from digital camera. There is dcraw.

There

is a plugin for it called rawphoto. As The Gimp can only manage 8 bits per channel, you willnot get more. But as dcraw is able of

more

(48 bits with the -4 option) it is bits ready !

I am interested in the 2 plug-ins mentioned above, but in the plug- in

registry

I could not find any; where should I look for?

It, rawphoto, must be installed and dcraw is not a plug-in. It is a stand-alone executable.

In fact, the plug-in is rawphoto but it needs dcraw in your path. rawphoto presents you a dialog to choose various parameters (white balance, gamma, ...) to dcraw then call dcraw.

-- - Jean-Luc

google.com/linux is your friend....

look at www.cybercom.net/~dcoffin

-- Patrick Shanahan Registered Linux User #207535