RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Converting image to 16bpp?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Converting image to 16bpp? David Brownlee 26 Mar 17:23
  Converting image to 16bpp? Sven Neumann 28 Mar 14:42
David Brownlee
2004-03-26 17:23:44 UTC (about 20 years ago)

I'm trying to convert an image to 16bpp with dithering so it can be used on a 16bit windows display. All the apps on my NetBSD box happily dither a 32bit image for 16bit display, but Windows ends up with the traditional 'banding' effect.

The two options I've found so far were:

1) - Decompose the image into RGB - For each component
- Convert to indexed with 32grey palette - Convert back to greyscale
- Recompose channels and save.

This gives an image with the right palette, but the mechanism is clumsy, and the dithering is done independently on each channel, which is obviously suboptimal

2) - Use GD to create png with all r5g5b5 values, then ImageMagick "convert -dither -map $palettefile $infile $outfile".

This works, but the output quality is vastly inferiour to the Gimp.

Does anyone have an idea how do do this in gimp (or any other way if necessary! :)

Thanks

Sven Neumann
2004-03-28 14:42:58 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

David Brownlee writes:

I'm trying to convert an image to 16bpp with dithering so it can be used on a 16bit windows display. All the apps on my NetBSD box happily dither a 32bit image for 16bit display, but Windows ends up with the traditional 'banding' effect.

You could redo your app in GTK+. GTK+ uses GdkRGB to display 32bit images on 16bit displays and is has some nifty dithering routines.

I am not sure if there's a GIMP plug-in to do this. Of course you could simply take a screenshot on a 16bit display ;)

Sven