RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Only XCF filetype recognized by Gimp 2.0

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

9 of 9 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Only XCF filetype recognized by Gimp 2.0 John Culleton 25 Mar 22:28
  Only XCF filetype recognized by Gimp 2.0 Henrik Brix Andersen 25 Mar 22:49
   Only XCF filetype recognized by Gimp 2.0 John Culleton 26 Mar 14:48
    Only XCF filetype recognized by Gimp 2.0 Sven Neumann 26 Mar 15:42
    Only XCF filetype recognized by Gimp 2.0 Dave Neary 26 Mar 16:01
     Only XCF filetype recognized by Gimp 2.0 Sven Neumann 26 Mar 16:19
      Only XCF filetype recognized by Gimp 2.0 John Culleton 26 Mar 22:25
       Only XCF filetype recognized by Gimp 2.0 David Neary 27 Mar 01:08
        Only XCF filetype recognized by Gimp 2.0 John Culleton 27 Mar 13:39
John Culleton
2004-03-25 22:28:57 UTC (about 20 years ago)

They say pioneers are distinguished by the arrows in their backs. I will revert to 1.25 for a bit. When I tried to import a scanned image into Gimp 2.0 it would not recognize either .ps or .tiff file types. The only file type listed on the open file menu is xcf, and my scanner can't produce that.

So if someone has a quick fix please post it. In the meantime...

Henrik Brix Andersen
2004-03-25 22:49:08 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 22:28, John Culleton wrote:

They say pioneers are distinguished by the arrows in their backs. I will revert to 1.25 for a bit. When I tried to import a scanned image into Gimp 2.0 it would not recognize either .ps or .tiff file types. The only file type listed on the open file menu is xcf, and my scanner can't produce that.

Sounds like the GIMP is not finding the installed plug-ins at all. Which platform are you using? Are you using a pre-compiled version of the GIMP or did you compile your own?

Is there any debug information available in the console?

Sincerely, ./Brix

John Culleton
2004-03-26 14:48:48 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Thursday 25 March 2004 04:49 pm, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, 2004-03-25 at 22:28, John Culleton wrote:

Sounds like the GIMP is not finding the installed plug-ins at all. Which platform are you using? Are you using a pre-compiled version of the GIMP or did you compile your own?

Is there any debug information available in the console?

Sincerely, ./Brix

I had compiled Gimp as root. I operate as a regular user. First I discovered that the owner and group of all the Gimp software was 500, and not either root or my user name (safe.) so I chowned everything in that directory to safe:users.

Then I ran make install. I kept blowing up on permissions problems. So I changed permissions after each failure, mostly in /usr/lib and /usr/local/lib. Eventually I got a clean make install and the new Gimp has the plugins for different file types available.

However now I am having problems with Postscript: "Could not execute plug in Postscript (/usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/postscript) because it uses an obsolete version of the plug-in protocol."

I will go back to square 1, recompile and reinstall and see if that clears up the current problem.

Bottom line, your suggestion that it was not finding the plug ins was correct. I still don't know why the original install had the screwy user and group codes. It is almost as if I were accessing another version of Linux on another partition.

Sven Neumann
2004-03-26 15:42:17 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

However now I am having problems with Postscript: "Could not execute plug in Postscript (/usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/postscript) because it uses an obsolete version of the plug-in protocol."

That plug-in still links to an earlier version of libgimp then. We increased the protocol number with the 2.0.0 release to avoid obscure problems with plug-ins from earlier installations that link to old versions of libgimp.

You should consider to remove all traces of earlier GIMP 1.3/2.0 installations.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-03-26 16:01:53 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi John,

John Culleton wrote:

I had compiled Gimp as root. I operate as a regular user. First I discovered that the owner and group of all the Gimp software was 500, and not either root or my user name (safe.) so I chowned everything in that directory to safe:users.

Ooops... you must have a particularly restrictive umask. Usually 022 or 027 is better.

Weird. This looks like something that happened back in the pre-releases when the postscript plug-in was changed from ps to postscript, but people still had the old one hanging about. Perhaps this is an older plug-in? Alternatively, perhaps your plug-in cache hasn't updated - you might like to remove .gimp-2.0/pluginrc since this will be generated from actually requesting the plug-ins to register themselves.

I will go back to square 1, recompile and reinstall and see if that clears up the current problem.

To just recompile the postscript plug-in, you could remove the above file, and in plug-ins/common, make postscript; sudo make install-postscript.

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-03-26 16:19:40 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Weird. This looks like something that happened back in the pre-releases when the postscript plug-in was changed from ps to postscript, but people still had the old one hanging about. Perhaps this is an older plug-in? Alternatively, perhaps your plug-in cache hasn't updated - you might like to remove .gimp-2.0/pluginrc since this will be generated from actually requesting the plug-ins to register themselves.

Just FYI: after a change of the protocol version number (as was done with the 2.0.0 release), an old pluginrc will not be used.

Sven

John Culleton
2004-03-26 22:25:38 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Friday 26 March 2004 10:19 am, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

Just FYI: after a change of the protocol version number (as was done with the 2.0.0 release), an old pluginrc will not be used.

Sven

I went to another Linux partition which had never had any form of gimp but the gimp 1.2.3 as installed by Slackware. I removed it using the Slack utility pkgtool. After some fussing around with permissions and a reboot I got Gimp 2.0.0 to compile, run, and read and write Postscript files. I tested it under root and under my usual user name.

I still haven't got the glitches out of my primary partition, so when I need to use 2.0 I will just boot the other partition. There are some files hidden somewhere that I can't find that are preventing a usable product. I'll just wait until the next partition swap time and install 2.0 from scratch.

Thanks for all assistance.

David Neary
2004-03-27 01:08:48 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi John,

John Culleton wrote:

There are some files hidden somewhere that I can't find that are preventing a usable product. I'll just wait until the next partition swap time and install 2.0 from scratch.

If you run ldd /usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/postscript, you should get a list of libraries which your plug-in is linking to. In the list you might spot one with a 1.3 in the name. That's the dodgy one :)

Cheers,
Dave.

John Culleton
2004-03-27 13:39:29 UTC (about 20 years ago)

On Friday 26 March 2004 07:08 pm, David Neary wrote:

Hi John,

John Culleton wrote:

There are some files hidden somewhere that I can't find that are preventing a usable product. I'll just wait until the next partition swap time and install 2.0 from scratch.

If you run ldd
/usr/local/lib/gimp/2.0/plug-ins/postscript, you should get a list of libraries which your plug-in is linking to. In the list you might spot one with a 1.3 in the name. That's the dodgy one :)

Cheers, Dave.

I took a variant course. I found that /usr/lib was where the libgimp types were hanging out. I deleted every libgimp file that had 1.3 in it or 2.0 in it. Then I ran make install again. Now it works.

Now I can go watch TV for a while without worrying. Thanks for your help, and Sven's.