RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp 2.6's Clipboard Brush - disable possible?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp 2.6's Clipboard Brush - disable possible? SilversleevesX 22 Sep 15:43
  Gimp 2.6's Clipboard Brush - disable possible? David Gowers (kampu) 22 Sep 16:10
  Gimp 2.6's Clipboard Brush - disable possible? Sven Neumann 22 Sep 21:27
   Gimp 2.6's Clipboard Brush - disable possible? DrNicket 13 Nov 17:04
    Gimp 2.6's Clipboard Brush - disable possible? Michael Schumacher 15 Nov 10:43
     Gimp 2.6's Clipboard Brush - disable possible? Akkana Peck 16 Nov 19:54
SilversleevesX
2010-09-22 15:43:01 UTC (over 13 years ago)

Hi.

This is my first post to the list.

I wanted to know if it were possible to disable the Clipboard Brush feature in GIMP 2.6?

Frankly, I think a better direction for something copied or cut to the Clipboard would be to Patterns, not Brushes. As a longtime Photoshop user (4 versions on Mac OS, two on Windows), I've no doubt that the minor hassle of turning tweensy picture X.jpeg into a pattern will be something I'll remember to my dying day. If an intuitive shortcut should be applied to clipboard/pasteboard data in a graphics app, patterns seem to me the more useful of the two directions.

Much of the to-clip and from-clip activity I do is whole pictures, and whether scaled or not, color-depth-reduced or not, a brush with something 640x480@24 on it/to it, while it would make for a nice diversion or "toy" or plug-in, doesn't quite rate with me as the new bleeding-edge feature of as well-known a freeware graphics application program as is the GIMP.

I presume the developers went this way because to "take it to patterns" might have meant a re-think of the pattern-making and -reading code, and there probably wasn't time or incentive enough for that: this seemed the more expedient option and so it was done. Fine. Let the user have the option of "turning it off," then, if such an option is not already present in version 2.6.

So is it?

BZT.

David Gowers (kampu)
2010-09-22 16:10:48 UTC (over 13 years ago)

On Wed, Sep 22, 2010 at 11:13 PM, SilversleevesX wrote:

Hi.

This is my first post to the list.

I wanted to know if it were possible to disable the Clipboard Brush feature in GIMP 2.6?

Frankly, I think a better direction for something copied or cut to the Clipboard would be to Patterns, not Brushes. As a longtime Photoshop user (4 versions on Mac OS, two on Windows), I've no doubt that the minor hassle of turning tweensy picture X.jpeg into a pattern will be something I'll remember to my dying day. If an intuitive shortcut should be applied to clipboard/pasteboard data in a graphics app, patterns seem to me the more useful of the two directions.

Well, you have both. What's the problem?

Sven Neumann
2010-09-22 21:27:05 UTC (over 13 years ago)

On Wed, 2010-09-22 at 09:43 -0400, SilversleevesX wrote:

Why exactly do you want to turn it off? If you don't need it, then don't use it. What's the point of adding yet another option?

Sven

DrNicket
2014-11-13 17:04:41 UTC (over 9 years ago)

The reason for wanting to disable this feature, is because it is forced it on us. If I just want to use the brush, every time I had something copied, I have to change the brush back. It's bloody annoying when I use it a lot and only use the image in clipboard to paste into a black or existing image. It adds unnecessary extra steps and wastes my time.

So I ask again, for myself and the original poster (some 4+ years past)...

Please, how do we disable it?

-- View this message in context: http://gimp.1065349.n5.nabble.com/Gimp-2-6-s-Clipboard-Brush-disable-possible-tp7812p44266.html Sent from the Users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

Michael Schumacher
2014-11-15 10:43:32 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 13.11.2014 18:04, DrNicket wrote:

The reason for wanting to disable this feature, is because it is forced it on us. If I just want to use the brush, every time I had something copied, I have to change the brush back. It's bloody annoying when I use it a lot and only use the image in clipboard to paste into a black or existing image. It adds unnecessary extra steps and wastes my time.

What steps does this add?

There doesn't seem to be anything that gets in the way of most other users, and this message won't have a lot of context for them, either (you should quote the important parts of the original message properly).

Regards,
Michael
GPG: 96A8 B38A 728A 577D 724D 60E5 F855 53EC B36D 4CDD
Akkana Peck
2014-11-16 19:54:05 UTC (over 9 years ago)

On 13.11.2014 18:04, DrNicket wrote:

The reason for wanting to disable this feature, is because it is forced it on us. If I just want to use the brush, every time I had something copied, I have to change the brush back. It's bloody annoying when I use it a lot and

Michael Schumacher writes:

What steps does this add?

There doesn't seem to be anything that gets in the way of most other users, and this message won't have a lot of context for them, either (you should quote the important parts of the original message properly).

I don't know what the original message was. But a few months ago (in git master) I somehow got into a situation where the clipboard brush somehow became my default brush, even though I hadn't deliberately used it for a while. Then I'd try to draw or erase something and it wouldn't work right (because the brush wasn't what I expected).

I'm still not sure how I got into this situation -- possibly a problem with profile migration? -- but I got out of it by setting the brush to my preferred default (the one that's called Square but is actually round) then going to Preferences, Tool Options, Revert Saved Tool Options to Default Values.

I wonder if DrNicket somehow hit the same problem. I certainly wouldn't want to disable the clipboard brush -- it's a great feature. But having it magically become my default brush was definitely confusing. I wish I could have figured out how it happened.

...Akkana