RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Questions about Gimp 2.0

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Questions about Gimp 2.0 Tom Williams 23 Mar 06:58
  Questions about Gimp 2.0 Carol Spears 23 Mar 07:18
   Questions about Gimp 2.0 Tom Williams 23 Mar 07:28
  Questions about Gimp 2.0 Dave Neary 23 Mar 09:46
Tom Williams
2004-03-23 06:58:40 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Questions about Gimp 2.0

Hi! Ok, I just installed Gimp 2.0rc1 on Linux. The build went smoothly and I noticed the executable was installed as "gimp" instead of "gimp-1.3". I accidentally clobbered my Gimp 1.2.5 installation but I can build that again. :)

Anywho, I was wondering if/when the "Add Glow" and the "Perl-o-Tine" filters would be available, if ever, in Gimp 2.0? I've been using the 1.3 releases for a while primarily and 1.2.5 for things I needed, like "Perl-o-Tine" and "Add Glow". I noticed "Py-slice" works similarly to "Perl-o-tine" but Py-slice doesn't support RGB images. :(

Thanks...

Peace...

Tom

Carol Spears
2004-03-23 07:18:36 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Questions about Gimp 2.0

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:58:40PM -0800, Tom Williams wrote:

Hi! Ok, I just installed Gimp 2.0rc1 on Linux. The build went smoothly and I noticed the executable was installed as "gimp" instead of "gimp-1.3". I accidentally clobbered my Gimp 1.2.5 installation but I can build that again. :)

you should not need to rebuild that. it will be named gimp-1.2 and you might need to include the path to start it. "gimp" is a symbolic link and you can rm it and if you prefer that gimp-1.2 be the default gimp then type "ln -s gimp-1.2 gimp" in that directory (probably /usr/local/bin if you built it yourself).

Anywho, I was wondering if/when the "Add Glow" and the "Perl-o-Tine" filters would be available, if ever, in Gimp 2.0? I've been using the 1.3 releases for a while primarily and 1.2.5 for things I needed, like "Perl-o-Tine" and "Add Glow". I noticed "Py-slice" works similarly to "Perl-o-tine" but Py-slice doesn't support RGB images. :(

py-slice works on RGB images. it is not as complete as perlotine but it does most of the same things. i had problems when there were guides left after a crop. well, guides left on the new edges. at 0px -- you can see them if they are there. i am just guessing why the plugin did not work for you.

gimp-perl is working and hopefully they will tell how to install it. right now it is available via cvs checkout and needs a list of extra perl things -- a list i lost track of.

enjoy the new gimp.

i miss photo mosaic myself.

carol

Tom Williams
2004-03-23 07:28:36 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Questions about Gimp 2.0

Carol Spears wrote:

On Mon, Mar 22, 2004 at 09:58:40PM -0800, Tom Williams wrote:

you should not need to rebuild that. it will be named gimp-1.2 and you might need to include the path to start it. "gimp" is a symbolic link and you can rm it and if you prefer that gimp-1.2 be the default gimp then type "ln -s gimp-1.2 gimp" in that directory (probably /usr/local/bin if you built it yourself).

Great! I can run gimp-1.2.. That will work just fine. :)

py-slice works on RGB images. it is not as complete as perlotine but it does most of the same things. i had problems when there were guides left after a crop. well, guides left on the new edges. at 0px -- you can see them if they are there. i am just guessing why the plugin did not work for you.

I know what I did wrong. I tried to "slice" a JPEG as a test and left the default image type as "GIF" in the Py-slice filter. I was able to get Py-slice to work as I needed it to. :)

gimp-perl is working and hopefully they will tell how to install it. right now it is available via cvs checkout and needs a list of extra perl things -- a list i lost track of.

enjoy the new gimp.

So far, I really like it. :D

i miss photo mosaic myself.

Xsane support and the "Add Glow" fliter is what I'm currently missing but can wait for since 1.2.5 still works for me. :)

I *really* like the new text tool as it's able to handle the 1000+ Windows TrueType fonts I've got installed. :)

Thanks for the help!

Peace...

Tom

Dave Neary
2004-03-23 09:46:45 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Questions about Gimp 2.0

Hi Tom,

Tom Williams wrote:

Anywho, I was wondering if/when the "Add Glow" and the "Perl-o-Tine" filters would be available, if ever, in Gimp 2.0?

These are gimp-perl filters, and apparrently a pre-release of gimp-perl for 2.0 is planned to be made today or tomorrow. So I assume that GIMP::Perl-2 (or whatever naming convention CPAN uses for incompatibly versioned perl modules) will be available from CPAN sometime tomorrow.

If I'm wrong here, I'm sure that Marc or Seth (the gimp-perl maintainers) will pipe up and say so. Hopefully even if I'm right :)

Cheers, Dave.