RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Re : Re  : Menus *over* the picture

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Menus *over* the picture Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 22 Mar 18:51
  Menus *over* the picture Sven Neumann 22 Mar 22:22
   Menus *over* the picture Bryce Benton 22 Mar 22:33
    Menus *over* the picture Sven Neumann 22 Mar 22:48
     Re  : Menus *over* the picture Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 22 Mar 23:05
      Re : Menus *over* the picture Simon Budig 22 Mar 23:12
       Re : Re  : Menus *over* the picture Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) 22 Mar 23:30
Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-22 18:51:34 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Menus *over* the picture

Hi,

I build almost everyday the cvs for gimp-2.0.

Sometimes ago, I've remarked that the menus were always "on top". Moving the picture I was working on was moving it *under* the opened menus.

Sometimes later, I remarked (I was happy of that) that the focus raised the picture.

I've just compiled the 20040322 version on the cvs and I remarked that this feature is here again.

So I have several questions: - Is it a feature or is it a bug (generally the question is the opposite, I think) ;-) ?
- If it is a feature (some exchanges I have had in the past seems that it *was* a feature, I hopped this feature was dropped...) is there a mean to disable it ? I've been fooling in the preferences menu and I've not found where it is hidden.

-- Regards
- Jean-Luc

Sven Neumann
2004-03-22 22:22:15 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Menus *over* the picture

Hi,

"Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)" writes:

Sometimes ago, I've remarked that the menus were always "on top".

Menus are by definition always on top. Do you really mean menus? How could menus not be on top of the window they pop up from ?

Sven

Bryce Benton
2004-03-22 22:33:08 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Menus *over* the picture

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

"Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)" writes:

Sometimes ago, I've remarked that the menus were always "on top".

Menus are by definition always on top. Do you really mean menus? How could menus not be on top of the window they pop up from ?

Sven

I wonder if this person is voicing a issue that I also have. When I am working on an image and I want to modify the hue/saturation, the first thing I always do is move the dialog box so that it is not covering the image. Perhaps it would be an improvement if there were a way for the GIMP to remember the location of the last dialog box and then open subsequent dialog boxes there. That way, I'd only have to move the dialog box the first time.

--bryce

P.S. Cheers to the excellent work on such a great program. Bravo!

Sven Neumann
2004-03-22 22:48:30 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Menus *over* the picture

Hi,

Bryce Benton writes:

I wonder if this person is voicing a issue that I also have. When I am working on an image and I want to modify the hue/saturation, the first thing I always do is move the dialog box so that it is not covering the image. Perhaps it would be an improvement if there were a way for the GIMP to remember the location of the last dialog box and then open subsequent dialog boxes there. That way, I'd only have to move the dialog box the first time.

It does that already. Unfortunately a lot of window managers decided to completely ignore this setting and center the dialog instead. We have since removed the transient relationship from the tool dialog to the image window and this problem is gone.

Sven

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-22 23:05:42 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re  : Menus *over* the picture

Le 22.03.2004 22:48, Sven Neumann a écrit :

Hi,

Bryce Benton writes:

I wonder if this person is voicing a issue that I also have. When I

am

working on an image and I want to modify the hue/saturation, the

first

thing I always do is move the dialog box so that it is not covering the image. Perhaps it would be an improvement if there were a way for
the GIMP to remember the location of the last dialog box and then

open

subsequent dialog boxes there. That way, I'd only have to move the dialog box the first time.

It does that already. Unfortunately a lot of window managers decided to completely ignore this setting and center the dialog instead. We have since removed the transient relationship from the tool dialog to the image window and this problem is gone.

Sven

It is not what I complain against.

When I say "menu", I mean the main dialog window and all the other dialog boxes/windows opened.

It is right for the popup.

But if I've i.e. a layer window opened and I move the picture I'm working on, it is not moving *over* this dialog but *under* it.

It was not the behaviour 2 dyas ago.

-- Regards
- Jean-Luc

Simon Budig
2004-03-22 23:12:41 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re : Menus *over* the picture

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) (jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr) wrote:

When I say "menu", I mean the main dialog window and all the other dialog boxes/windows opened.

But if I've i.e. a layer window opened and I move the picture I'm working on, it is not moving *over* this dialog but *under* it.

Please test the setting of "Window Type Hints" under the "Window Management" page in the preferences. Depending on the window manager you use it might be more useful to choose the "Normal Window" hint for the Toolbox and the Docks.

Hope this helps, Simon

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)
2004-03-22 23:30:34 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Re : Re  : Menus *over* the picture

Le 22.03.2004 23:12, Simon Budig a écrit :

Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh) (jean-luc.coulon@wanadoo.fr) wrote:

Please test the setting of "Window Type Hints" under the "Window Management" page in the preferences. Depending on the window manager you use it might be more useful to choose the "Normal Window" hint for the Toolbox and the Docks.

Hope this helps, Simon

Simon,

Fine! Many thanks!
It should be set to "normal windows" instead of "utility window". At least with my system: gnome/metacity.

Thanks again

-- - Jean-Luc