RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Laying out book cover

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Laying out book cover. John Culleton 26 Feb 20:32
  Laying out book cover. Sven Neumann 26 Feb 21:29
  Laying out book cover. GSR - FR 26 Feb 21:42
20040226200017.6036D10D04@l... 07 Oct 20:16
  Laying out book cover Michael J. Hammel 26 Feb 21:28
   Laying out book cover John Culleton 07 Mar 20:19
John Culleton
2004-02-26 20:32:05 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Laying out book cover.

A book cover consists of three panels, from left to right: the back cover, the spine and the front cover. I plan to lay these out on three separate images and knit them together. It is simple in Gimp to make each panel the exact dimensions needed. What is not so easy is to line them up exactly, left to right, with no overlap and no space in between. Vertical alignment is also critical.

Is there a way, other than drag and drop, to accomplish this precise alignment? Is snap to grid the best tool or is there another way?

For the curious, after I create the pnm file I will use pnmtocmyktiff to convert to cmyk color model.

Michael J. Hammel
2004-02-26 21:28:45 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Laying out book cover

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 14:00, John Culleton

A book cover consists of three panels, from left to right: the back cover, the spine and the front cover. I plan to lay these out on three separate images and knit them together. It is simple in Gimp to make each panel the exact dimensions needed. What is not so easy is to line them up exactly, left to right, with no overlap and no space in between. Vertical alignment is also critical.

You don't actually have to split first then rejoin. You can do it all as one big image and then, if necessary, split it. I did that for my first GIMP book, The Artists Guide to the GIMP. I've also done it for some CD covers.

Is there a way, other than drag and drop, to accomplish this precise alignment? Is snap to grid the best tool or is there another way?

There are some layer alignment tools in GIMP 1.2, but I found them less than ideal for many of my situations. You can find them in the Layers menu (in the Canvas menu) at the bottom of the menu under "Align Visible Layers...". I ended up writing GFXLayers, which provides visual interaction and a host of ways to align layers. Interestingly, this seems to be the plugin I use more than of the others I've written. I didn't realize how important it would be to me. GFXLayers is part of the Graphics Muse Tools CD (www.graphics-muse.com/gfxmuse/gfxmuse.html)

If you have the memory, however, doing all the work in a single image is highly preferrable. I just think its far easier to work that way.

I also haven't looked at how layer alignment tools may have improved in 2.0 yet - I just haven't been using 2.0 much yet.

Sven Neumann
2004-02-26 21:29:28 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Laying out book cover.

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

I though "Align Visible Layers" (as found in the Image->Layer menu) could do this but when I tried it, I found that it has quite some modes but none of them seems to b particulary useful. I haven't been able to accomplish your task with it.

But I think this plug-in (plug-ins/common/align_layers.c) has some potential. It it a simple plug-in that doesn't deal with pixel data. Adding some alignment modes would be a nice task for someone who wants to get into GIMP plug-in development...

Sven

GSR - FR
2004-02-26 21:42:38 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Laying out book cover.

john@wexfordpress.com (2004-02-26 at 1432.05 -0500):

When doing such things I have used guides, first one vertical and another horizontal, so you can place two parts with them. Then zoom in, add another guide so it marks the edge you want to use as glue line for the third layer. The auto snapping will do the rest.

GSR

John Culleton
2004-03-07 20:19:28 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Laying out book cover

On Thursday 26 February 2004 03:28 pm, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

On Thu, 2004-02-26 at 14:00, John Culleton

You don't actually have to split first then rejoin. You can do it all as one big image and then, if necessary, split it. I did that for my first GIMP book, The Artists Guide to the GIMP. I've also done it for some CD covers.

If you have the memory, however, doing all the work in a single image is highly preferrable. I just think its far easier to work that way.

Certainly this is a possible approach. But in the long run it is the same thing. You create an image that is the dimensions of the ultimate tiff file, including bleeds. But then you must subdivide this pretty precisely so that everything appears in the right place. In particular the alignment of the spine area is critical. It must be centered exactly, left to right. Whether it is three panels knitted together or one panel divided into three subareas the placements of objects are indeed critical. I have even considered laying out the dimensions precisely in TeX (eg., with Pstricks or Metapost) and importing that file as a layout template---then after everything was aligned exactly to the template eliminating the template layer and saving the rest. It would be easier to eyeball the template than some rule or other. And the template would be reusable.

I will experiment with that approach.