RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Porting to Windows Environment

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Porting to Windows Environment McNamara, Paul (P.S.) 24 Feb 11:20
  Porting to Windows Environment Sven Neumann 24 Feb 11:38
  Porting to Windows Environment Dave Neary 24 Feb 11:50
Porting to Windows Environment McNamara, Paul (P.S.) 24 Feb 12:08
  Porting to Windows Environment Sven Neumann 24 Feb 12:20
   Porting to Windows Environment Dave Neary 24 Feb 13:40
    Porting to Windows Environment Eric Pierce 24 Feb 15:46
     Porting to Windows Environment Dave Neary 24 Feb 16:20
      Porting to Windows Environment Sven Neumann 24 Feb 17:03
       Porting to Windows Environment Thomas Spuhler 24 Feb 18:25
McNamara, Paul (P.S.)
2004-02-24 11:20:10 UTC (about 20 years ago)

A simple question about the release of version 2.0. Approximately how long after the UNIX version will the Windows version be available?

thanks

Paul McNamara

Sven Neumann
2004-02-24 11:38:17 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

"McNamara, Paul (P.S.)" writes:

A simple question about the release of version 2.0. Approximately how long after the UNIX version will the Windows version be available?

At the same moment, simply because there is no Windows or UNIX version. The very same source code compiles on Win32 and various flavours of UNIX. Since we only do source code releases, GIMP releases are always good for all supported platforms at the same time.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-02-24 11:50:55 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi Paul,

McNamara, Paul (P.S.) wrote:

As of about 18 months ago, the exact same source code builds on Win32 and on Linux/unix/MacOS X. So when the GIMP is released, the source code for all versions will be available.

However, up to this point, the project has never prepared "official" binaries for any platform. All GIMP binaries are unofficial - even those for Linux. Some convenience files are included in CVS (for example, the gimp.spec for RedHat builds), but binary versions become available as the various maintainers/packagers make them available.

The Windows port maintainer is Tor Lillqvist, and the Win32 installer packages are provided by Jernej Simoncic. Perhaps Tor and Jernej could say if they plan to make Windows binaries directly after the 2.0 release - recently releases have been made available within a week of the source release, apart from for pre3, which still isn't available as an installer.

Hope this answers your question, Dave.

McNamara, Paul (P.S.)
2004-02-24 12:08:54 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Thanks Dave (and Sven who replied the same about the source code)

It was the availability of the installer packages that I was really asking about - maybe Jernej could reply on that one.

Paul McNamara

Sven Neumann
2004-02-24 12:20:51 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

"McNamara, Paul (P.S.)" writes:

Thanks Dave (and Sven who replied the same about the source code)

It was the availability of the installer packages that I was really asking about - maybe Jernej could reply on that one.

IMO it's not very nice to ask for a timeframe for the availability of the installer package. By providing you this package, Jernej is doing you a favor on a voluntary basis. You shouldn't put him under pressure by asking for a time frame. That is about as bad (or maybe even worse) as asking the developers to set a date for the 2.0.0 release. If you need the Win32 installer at a certain point in time, you can easily create it yourself.

Sven

Dave Neary
2004-02-24 13:40:09 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi Sven,

Sven Neumann wrote:

IMO it's not very nice to ask for a timeframe for the availability of the installer package. By providing you this package, Jernej is doing you a favor on a voluntary basis. You shouldn't put him under pressure by asking for a time frame. That is about as bad (or maybe even worse) as asking the developers to set a date for the 2.0.0 release.

I don't think that asking necessarily puts pressure on anyone.

If you
need the Win32 installer at a certain point in time, you can easily create it yourself.

For a very unusual definition of "easily". Building the GIMP on Win32 is not that easy.

Cheers,
Dave.

Eric Pierce
2004-02-24 15:46:51 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Sven Neumann wrote:

IMO it's not very nice to ask for a timeframe for the availability of the installer package. By providing you this package, Jernej is doing you a favor on a voluntary basis. You shouldn't put him under pressure by asking for a time frame. That is about as bad (or maybe even worse) as asking the developers to set a date for the 2.0.0 release.

I don't think that asking necessarily puts pressure on anyone.

If you're asked constantly (he is on the Gimp-win mailing list), I would guess it may add a smidge of tension to the everyday.

If you
need the Win32 installer at a certain point in time, you can easily create it yourself.

For a very unusual definition of "easily". Building the GIMP on Win32 is not that easy.

Not sure if this is easy or not. I haven't had a chance to setup the build environment in Win, but...
http://wiki.gimp.org/gimp/HowToCompileGimp/MicrosoftWindows

Eric Pierce Ps. Jernej went skiing!

Dave Neary
2004-02-24 16:20:31 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi Eric,

Eric Pierce wrote:

If you're asked constantly (he is on the Gimp-win mailing list), I would guess it may add a smidge of tension to the everyday.

Where's the gimp-win list these days?

Cheers, Dave.

Sven Neumann
2004-02-24 17:03:04 UTC (about 20 years ago)

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

As stated in GIMP's README file and at http://www.gimp.org/mailing_list.html, the gimp-win-users mailing-list can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gimpwin-users/.

I am still arguing that the lists should be merged; would be interesting to hear what the subscribers of gimp-user think about this...

Sven

Thomas Spuhler
2004-02-24 18:25:47 UTC (about 20 years ago)

I think it would be a good idea. I am using it on both, a Linux box and an older W98 box

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 09:03, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Dave Neary writes:

As stated in GIMP's README file and at http://www.gimp.org/mailing_list.html, the gimp-win-users mailing-list can be found at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gimpwin-users/.

I am still arguing that the lists should be merged; would be interesting to hear what the subscribers of gimp-user think about this...

Sven
_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user