RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

16 of 16 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts Wei-Tsun Sun 21 Jan 14:13
  Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts photocomix 21 Jan 18:42
   Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts Wei-Tsun Sun 21 Jan 18:59
    Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts Alexandre Prokoudine 21 Jan 23:00
     Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts Wei-Tsun Sun 22 Jan 08:33
      Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts Alexandre Prokoudine 22 Jan 15:55
       Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts Programmer In Training 22 Jan 16:52
        Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts Alexandre Prokoudine 22 Jan 17:44
         Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts Programmer In Training 22 Jan 18:06
  Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts AlexV 02 Feb 10:38
   Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts Mario Valle 02 Feb 11:08
    Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts AlexV 02 Feb 11:35
     Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts DrTeeth 24 Oct 00:54
     Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts Stuart 16 Feb 22:37
      Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts Stuart 16 Feb 22:47
       Loading/indexing fonts everytime GIMP starts nedwards9820 17 Nov 18:59
Wei-Tsun Sun
2010-01-21 14:13:26 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Hi,

When I start up my GIMP in windows, it indexes the fonts every first time that I start after a reboot. I am using windows 7, is there anyway to tell gimp not to index the fonts ?

Best regards,

Will

2010-01-21 18:42:21 UTC (over 14 years ago)
postings

Gimp should take time to index the fonts only once then process should be much quicker

Anyay I use a font manager to organize font in separate folders, so i have a very little group as installed font , that i always load, and in a different place lot of specific fonts groups "Celtique" Gothic" Art deco" and so on and on ...

The font manager allow me to "temporary" install any group of font i wish (I think is the only way to deal successfully with fonts, that already included in win by defaults are already hundreds, i have about 4200 extra fonts.

using only the gimp font selector any hope to find the right font may be hopeless or took ages..
with font organized in categories and a font manager allowing to confront the font typing a custom text, become a matter of minutes )

Hi,

When I start up my GIMP in windows, it indexes the fonts every first time

that I start after a reboot.

I am using windows 7, is there anyway to tell gimp not to index the fonts ?

Best regards,

Will

Wei-Tsun Sun
2010-01-21 18:59:47 UTC (over 14 years ago)

How to access the font manager in gimp ?

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:42:21 +0100 (CET) "photocomix" wrote:

Gimp should take time to index the fonts only once then process should be much quicker

Anyay I use a font manager to organize font in separate folders, so i have a very little group as installed font , that i always load, and in a different place lot of specific fonts groups "Celtique" Gothic" Art deco" and so on and on ...

The font manager allow me to "temporary" install any group of font i wish (I think is the only way to deal successfully with fonts, that already included in win by defaults are already hundreds, i have about 4200 extra fonts.

using only the gimp font selector any hope to find the right font may be hopeless or took ages..
with font organized in categories and a font manager allowing to confront the font typing a custom text, become a matter of minutes )

Hi,

Best regards,

Will

Alexandre Prokoudine
2010-01-21 23:00:34 UTC (over 14 years ago)

On 1/21/10, Wei-Tsun Sun wrote:

A font manager is a separate application and not part of GIMP.

If you are interested in a free open source solution, try Fontmatrix -- it has a build for Windows.

Alexandre

Wei-Tsun Sun
2010-01-22 08:33:11 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 01:00:34 +0300 Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On 1/21/10, Wei-Tsun Sun wrote:

If you are interested in a free open source solution, try Fontmatrix -- it has a build for Windows.

Got that, disabling fonts seems too hacky. I am thinking if there is another way to solve that issue.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2010-01-22 15:55:35 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On 1/22/10, Wei-Tsun Sun wrote:

Got that, disabling fonts seems too hacky. I am thinking if there is another way to solve that issue.

The only other way is not to use many fonts at all. There is absolutely nothing hacky about disabling and reenabling fonts via font managers. This is how most designers work.

Alexandre

Programmer In Training
2010-01-22 16:52:43 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On 1/22/2010 8:55 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On 1/22/10, Wei-Tsun Sun wrote:

The only other way is not to use many fonts at all. There is absolutely nothing hacky about disabling and reenabling fonts via font managers. This is how most designers work.

Alexandre

Just my $2 (adjusted for inflation).

I have over 10,000 fonts. A couple of hundred (mostly ones I've gotten from Ascender Fonts and those included with XP) are in C:\Windows\Fonts. All my others are in a separate directory which The GIMP re-reads every time I open it. Sure it takes longer to open GIMP by doing that, but I like having all my fonts available all the time. It generally takes a minute or two for The GIMP to open as it reads all those fonts, and it can be a pain to find the one I really want, but the extra wait and work just makes it all the sweeter when I complete a project. Unfortunately The GIMP is the only program I'm aware of that allows you to specify an extra, alternative font directory.

Alexandre Prokoudine
2010-01-22 17:44:19 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On 1/22/10, Programmer In Training wrote:

time I open it. Sure it takes longer to open GIMP by doing that, but I like having all my fonts available all the time.

Unique again :)

The GIMP is the only program I'm aware of that allows you to specify an extra, alternative font directory.

Oh, Scribus does it as well, for ages.

Alexandre

Programmer In Training
2010-01-22 18:06:05 UTC (about 14 years ago)

On 1/22/2010 10:44 AM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:

On 1/22/10, Programmer In Training wrote:

time I open it. Sure it takes longer to open GIMP by doing that, but I like having all my fonts available all the time.

Unique again :)

I am definitely the most unique individual you'll ever meet. (:

The GIMP is the only program I'm aware of that allows you to specify an extra, alternative font directory.

Oh, Scribus does it as well, for ages.

I'll have to see if there is a Windows port until I can get FreeBSD up and running.

2010-02-02 10:38:41 UTC (about 14 years ago)
postings

I've had this problem myself. I'm going to make a guess here - you automatically clear out your temp folder on reboot? Or have it on a ram-disk or something similar?

Gimp stores it's font cache, by default, under the system temp folder. So, if the temp folder is cleared on reboot, fonts are re-indexed the next time GIMP starts.

There's a fairly painless solution. Go to "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\etc\fonts" and create a new file called "conf.d" (not local.conf, as the documentation would suggest). In that file, put the text:

~/.gimp-2.6/fonts/cache

That will make GIMP store the font cache in "C:\Users\\.gimp-2.6\fonts\cache", which to me is a much more sensible place to have it. Of course, you can choose a different path, if you prefer.

Alex

Hi,

Best regards,

Will

Mario Valle
2010-02-02 11:08:43 UTC (about 14 years ago)

In the GIMP-2.0\etc\fonts there is already a directory called conf.d All my attempts to put your line somewhere failed: in local.conf, under my user directory. Any suggestion?
mario

On 02-Feb-10 10:38, AlexV wrote:

I've had this problem myself. I'm going to make a guess here - you automatically clear out your temp folder on reboot? Or have it on a ram-disk or something similar?

Gimp stores it's font cache, by default, under the system temp folder. So, if the temp folder is cleared on reboot, fonts are re-indexed the next time GIMP starts.

There's a fairly painless solution. Go to "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\etc\fonts" and create a new file called "conf.d" (not local.conf, as the documentation would suggest). In that file, put the text:

~/.gimp-2.6/fonts/cache

That will make GIMP store the font cache in "C:\Users\\.gimp-2.6\fonts\cache", which to me is a much more sensible place to have it. Of course, you can choose a different path, if you prefer.

Alex

Hi,

Best regards,

Will

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

2010-02-02 11:35:51 UTC (about 14 years ago)
postings

Hmm... I don't have that conf.d directory. Is there anything in it? I don't know enough about GIMP to explain that, someone else here might.

You could edit the etc\fonts\fonts.conf to add the line above or instead of the existing WINDOWSTEMPDIR_FONTCONFIG_CACHE line - although the documentation warns against modifying that file directly as it will be replaced when fontconfig is updated.

Alex

In the GIMP-2.0\etc\fonts there is already a directory called conf.d All my attempts to put your line somewhere failed: in local.conf, under my user directory. Any suggestion?
mario

On 02-Feb-10 10:38, AlexV wrote:

I've had this problem myself. I'm going to make a guess here - you automatically clear out your temp folder on reboot? Or have it on a

ram-disk

or something similar?

Gimp stores it's font cache, by default, under the system temp folder. So,

if

the temp folder is cleared on reboot, fonts are re-indexed the next time

GIMP

starts.

There's a fairly painless solution. Go to "C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\etc\fonts" and create a new file called "conf.d" (not local.conf, as the documentation would suggest). In that file, put the

text:

~/.gimp-2.6/fonts/cache

That will make GIMP store the font cache in "C:\Users\\.gimp-2.6\fonts\cache", which to me is a much more sensible place

to

have it. Of course, you can choose a different path, if you prefer.

Alex

Hi,

When I start up my GIMP in windows, it indexes the fonts every first

time

I am using windows 7, is there anyway to tell gimp not to index the fonts

?

Best regards,

Will

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

2010-10-24 00:54:39 UTC (over 13 years ago)
postings

Hmm... I don't have that conf.d directory. Is there anything in it? I don't know enough about GIMP to explain that, someone else here might.

I also have a conf.d folder and would also like a solution to this. I would like to change the location of the font cache folder.

Thanks

DrT

2011-02-16 22:37:55 UTC (about 13 years ago)
postings

It turns out that the correct solution IS to create a file called local.conf in \Program Files\GIMP-2.0\etc\fonts - although Mario dismissed that in his post above.

Apparently, you should not edit fonts.conf (as suggested above) because it is a dynamically generated file and will be replaced by a new version anytime you make a configuration change and your edits will be lost. However, the font mamanager also parses local.conf and anything it finds there over-rides the matching settings in fonts.conf.

The trick is that local.conf has to be a propoerly formatted XML file - it must contain the lines:

<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">

You can then copy whatever settings you want to over-ride from fonts.conf, paste it following the "" line and then edit it how you want. For our purposes, we need to over-ride the setting. So, this is what my local.conf file looks like (for GIMP 2.6 on Windows 7):

<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">

~/.gimp-2.6/fonts/cache

The next time GIMP starts, it will create its font cache in \Users\\.gimp-2.6\fonts\cache and this shouldn't get cleared out with your temp folder.

2011-02-16 22:47:24 UTC (about 13 years ago)
postings

Bloomin Forum software has mangled the file format I posted! It removes anything that looks like HTML. So, if I replace less-than and greater-than signs with square brackets, then maybe I can get away with it:

[?xml version="1.0"?] [!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd"] [fontconfig]

[!-- settings go here --] [cachedir]~/.gimp-2.6/fonts/cache[/cachedir]

[/fontconfig]

remember [ = < ] = >

2017-11-17 18:59:32 UTC (over 6 years ago)
postings

Bloomin Forum software has mangled the file format I posted! It removes anything that looks like HTML. So, if I replace less-than and greater-than signs with square brackets, then maybe I can get away with it:

[?xml version="1.0"?] [!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd"] [fontconfig]

[!-- settings go here --] [cachedir]~/.gimp-2.6/fonts/cache[/cachedir]

[/fontconfig]

remember [ = < ] = >

IT STILL WORKS! thanks so much. It took administrator privileges in NotePad++ but it worked.