RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

ALT key additional characters in Gimp??

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

8 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

ALT key additional characters in Gimp?? LunaMoon 09 Dec 05:50
  ALT key additional characters in Gimp?? Programmer In Training 09 Dec 05:56
   ALT key additional characters in Gimp?? LunaMoon 10 Dec 02:26
  ALT key additional characters in Gimp?? Stefan Maerz 09 Dec 06:52
  ALT key additional characters in Gimp?? Joao S. O. Bueno 09 Dec 14:52
   ALT key additional characters in Gimp?? LunaMoon 10 Dec 02:31
ALT key additional characters in Gimp?? Jernej Simon?i? 09 Dec 17:09
  ALT key additional characters in Gimp?? LunaMoon 10 Dec 02:38
2009-12-09 05:50:01 UTC (over 14 years ago)
postings

HI, sorry but I am wondering how I can get those additional characters in the fonts to work on my Gimp 2.6. I've tried the ATL with the number codes for the certain fonts I tried this with and got nothing but a binking cursor to show for the attempt. The ATL[code] works in Windows, so I know the font has these other things [like the British Pound sign, little happy faces, etc] I've used Gimp for a few months now and have yet to get the ATL key to work for this particular feature. I've downloaded fonts from daFont and other sites like it, so there are lots of fonts with bonus non-letter stuff I really want to be able to use in artwork.
Can any one give me some help in finding out what I'm doing wrong?? Thank you :)

Programmer In Training
2009-12-09 05:56:21 UTC (over 14 years ago)

Luna wrote:

HI, sorry but I am wondering how I can get those additional characters in the fonts to work on my Gimp 2.6. I've tried the ATL with the number codes for the certain fonts I tried this with and got nothing but a binking cursor to show for the attempt. The ATL[code] works in Windows, so I know the font has these other things [like the British Pound sign, little happy faces, etc] I've used Gimp for a few months now and have yet to get the ATL key to work for this particular feature. I've downloaded fonts from daFont and other sites like it, so there are lots of fonts with bonus non-letter stuff I really want to be able to use in artwork.
Can any one give me some help in finding out what I'm doing wrong?? Thank you :)

It's not in the fonts, but in the character sets installed on the computer.

Have you considered using the Wing-dings font?

Also, an easy way to use them might be to have a simple text editor (like notepad) open and use the alt[code] in notepad, then copy/paste the result into the GIMP. Not the best solution but definitely a good work around.

Stefan Maerz
2009-12-09 06:52:33 UTC (over 14 years ago)

You may try coping in the symbol from another program. I'm not sure if that will work tho.

On Tue, Dec 8, 2009 at 10:50 PM, Luna wrote:

HI, sorry but I am wondering how I can get those additional characters in the
fonts to work on my Gimp 2.6. I've tried the ATL with the number codes for the certain fonts I tried this with and got nothing but a binking cursor to show for the attempt. The ATL[code] works in Windows, so I know the font has
these other things [like the British Pound sign, little happy faces, etc] I've used Gimp for a few months now and have yet to get the ATL key to work for this particular feature. I've downloaded fonts from daFont and other sites
like it, so there are lots of fonts with bonus non-letter stuff I really want
to be able to use in artwork.

--
Luna (via www.gimpusers.com)

Joao S. O. Bueno
2009-12-09 14:52:38 UTC (over 14 years ago)

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Luna wrote:

HI, sorry but I am wondering how I can get those additional characters in the fonts to work on my Gimp 2.6.  I've tried the ATL with the number codes for the certain fonts I tried this with and got nothing but a binking cursor to show for the attempt. The ATL[code] works in Windows, so I know the font has these other things [like the British Pound sign, little happy faces, etc] I've used Gimp for a few months now and have yet to get the ATL key to work for this particular feature. I've downloaded fonts from daFont and other sites like it, so there are lots of fonts with bonus non-letter stuff I really want to be able to use in artwork.
Can any one give me some help in finding out what I'm doing wrong?? Thank you  :)

hi Luna-- you should use the "gucharmap" app, and use it alongside GIMP to Copy the special charaters (and paste them on the text editor).

It is easy to use, and allow access to the full range of unicode characters - well beyond the 0-255 codes allowed by alt+code on windows.

If gucharmap is not installed already, just use your preferred method of installing packages for your Linux: it is available for any desktop distribution.

js
->

--

Jernej Simon?i?
2009-12-09 17:09:52 UTC (over 14 years ago)

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 05:50:01 +0100 (CET), Luna wrote:

Can any one give me some help in finding out what I'm doing wrong??

Press Ctrl+Shift+U then type the hex code of the unicode character you'd like to enter.

2009-12-10 02:26:37 UTC (over 14 years ago)
postings

Luna wrote:

HI, sorry but I am wondering how I can get those additional characters in

the

fonts to work on my Gimp 2.6. I've tried the ATL with the number codes

for

the certain fonts I tried this with and got nothing but a binking cursor

to

show for the attempt. The ATL[code] works in Windows, so I know the font

has

these other things [like the British Pound sign, little happy faces, etc] I've used Gimp for a few months now and have yet to get the ATL key to

work

for this particular feature. I've downloaded fonts from daFont and other

sites

like it, so there are lots of fonts with bonus non-letter stuff I really

want

It's not in the fonts, but in the character sets installed on the computer.

Have you considered using the Wing-dings font?

Also, an easy way to use them might be to have a simple text editor (like notepad) open and use the alt[code] in notepad, then copy/paste the result into the GIMP. Not the best solution but definitely a good work around.

Thanks, but the wing dings fonts are not what I'm talking about, or what I even want to use. I've actually deleted most ofthe wing dings fonts from Gimp because I don't like them. I'll try this notepad way and see if that works.

2009-12-10 02:31:51 UTC (over 14 years ago)
postings

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 2:50 AM, Luna wrote:

HI, sorry but I am wondering how I can get those additional characters in

the

fonts to work on my Gimp 2.6. I've tried the ATL with the number codes

for

the certain fonts I tried this with and got nothing but a binking cursor

to

show for the attempt. The ATL[code] works in Windows, so I know the font

has

these other things [like the British Pound sign, little happy faces, etc] I've used Gimp for a few months now and have yet to get the ATL key to

work

for this particular feature. I've downloaded fonts from daFont and other

sites

like it, so there are lots of fonts with bonus non-letter stuff I really

want

hi Luna-- you should use the "gucharmap" app, and use it alongside GIMP to Copy the special charaters (and paste them on the text editor).

It is easy to use, and allow access to the full range of unicode characters - well beyond the 0-255 codes allowed by alt+code on windows.

If gucharmap is not installed already, just use your preferred method of installing packages for your Linux: it is available for any desktop distribution.

js
->

--

I've not heard of this "gucharmap" app thing, and I don't know what "Linux" is either.
I'm not very Techno-savvy so I don't undertand what you've just said. But thanks for replying and trying to help :)

2009-12-10 02:38:27 UTC (over 14 years ago)
postings

On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 05:50:01 +0100 (CET), Luna wrote:

Can any one give me some help in finding out what I'm doing wrong??

Press Ctrl+Shift+U then type the hex code of the unicode character you'd like to enter.

OK, I'll try this. I'll find a font that included the code chart to have a go with it.
Thaks for the reply and help.